3DCoat Forums

AddOn for Softimage - Moves meshes to 3DC

I've attached a Softimage VBS script to do AppLink to 3DCoat. It works on the Softimage-to-3DC but due to the problem noted above, isn't able to import the model back to Softimage. I haven't tried the script with ModTool but I expect it would work with it (I'm using SI2011 fwiw but the script is generic enough).

It adds menu items to the File->Import and File->Export, which can be used to make toolbar buttons if you prefer. You'll need to change the lines that refer to 'folder = ' from my doc folder to your own. Although it doesn't work for import back to Softimage yet, it is at least useful for getting stuff into 3DC.

Use at your own risk. Read the script before use. It will not work until you modify it for your own system.

Edit: Minor script/zip update. Import to Softimage still needs 3DC to generate the OBJ/MTL files.

Edit 2: Fixed import back to Softimage (thanks Andrew for the help!). Also, the names of the applink files are "project-scene.*" instead of always using the same names for all files. Finally, images are imported into the project via 'CopyExtFilesIntoProject' command so if you don't want that you'll need to disable that in the script. It leaves the unused-after-CopyExtFilesIntoProject images in the exchange folder because there is no easy way to safely clean that up and it shouldn't really affect anything. Feel free to clean up the folder whenever you get the urge.

3DCAppLinkPlugin.zip

I've attached a Softimage VBS script to do AppLink to 3DCoat. It works on the Softimage-to-3DC but due to the problem noted above, isn't able to import the model back to Softimage. I haven't tried the script with ModTool but I expect it would work with it (I'm using SI2011 fwiw but the script is generic enough). It adds menu items to the File->Import and File->Export, which can be used to make toolbar buttons if you prefer. You'll need to change the lines that refer to 'folder = ' from my doc folder to your own. Although it doesn't work for import back to Softimage yet, it is at least useful for getting stuff into 3DC.

Use at your own risk. Read the script before use. It will not work until you modify it for your own system.

Nice, I hope there will be a solution for the problem soon. It should work in both ways, from and back to SI.

INFO: I have created a new thread, because your work needs an own place.

• Advanced Member

Thanks so much for this Eric, I've just been using it today and it works flawlessly. Really hope that you can get the jump back from 3DCoat to XSI working at some point as I really don't like having loads of obj files lying around jumping between all the different apps.

This is going to really streamline things here so again a massive thanks.

p.s. It would be the perfect workflow if running the export script from XSI opened 3DCoat automatically if not already open. (but this is a minor thing) Cheers

Really hope that you can get the jump back from 3DCoat to XSI working at some point as I really don't like having loads of obj files lying around jumping between all the different apps.

The 3DMax Applink thread mentions the return object problem also so I'm pretty sure it's not something I can do anything about. Going to have to wait & hope for an eventual bugfix on it. Or perhaps they are revamping it to use a Python interface... ? I can hope, right? ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

How are you able to read the file? From what I've researched, explorer should be able open vbscripts, but for me this is not the case. Could you please elaborate on what to do here.

Edit; worked it out, opened with notepad.

And yes it does work with Mod tool 7.5. Thanks for a great & very helpful tool Eric.

• 5 weeks later...