3DCoat Forums

Introduce yourself!

Javis

On 7/9/2010 at 8:38 PM, Greg said:

Hi All,

My name is Greg and I've done too many different things in my life to list them all! lol

I live a little outside of Nashville, TN.

After a very long time in the military, I got a job as an airbrush artist for Big Dog Motorcycles in Wichita, KS. While there I began studying 3d and digital design. Since then I've worked as a digital design instructor, web/multimedia designer and most recently flash game programmer/designer. My primary interest through all of this has been in 3D, and think this is a great time for us, with fantastic programs like 3D Coat within financial reach of most people. I buy way too much software, and will probably never be able to retire! :D

I've got a great wife, a spoiled little Maltese dog, and life is good!

Nice to meet you all.

Hi Greg...I'm Ty and I'm currently in TN (Gray). How is your skillset learning with 3D coat going?

Hi everyone,

I'm Ty and have been an 2D 3D generalist type artist for a long time now. Currently my expertise is with 3D character creature modeling and concept art. I'm based in the US (TN) and I currently freelance. Very happy 3D coat is around and not too pricey.... a very strong solution for Indie artist with indie budgets. I first was drawn to 3D coat because of the retopology feature. Now I'm looking to explore all the functions and see what I can get efficient with.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, My name is Grangerous, and I'm going to school for Game Development. I've been taking a course on Unwrapping in 3D Coat, and I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the concept, so I want to be able to spend more time working on unwrapping in order to get good at this.

If anybody has any ideas for easy practice models or youtube videos, send them my way. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, my name is Mike. And i started using 3d coat just for retopology of my models, created in other software. Then step by step i turned to create my models fully in the Coat. At the moment i'm going to buy my first 3d scanner and, i'm wondering if 3d Coat can work with meshes comes fron scans.

Hi Mike glad to hear you're enjoying the software.  3DC definitely works with models that were scanned, I do it all the time. However before you spend a ton of money on a scanner consider the free options available. I made a tutorial that might help.

Hi everyone,

My name is Shane and I have been using Blender for many years now as a hobbyist and freelancer.  I'm new to 3D Coat which I bought primarily for the painting but I am really interested in the uv mapping and retopo features.  Now to go and post my first question in the forums.

Hello,

I have a simple question, I am a beginner with 3dcoat.

I am creating files with Rhino and I want to make them a bit more organic and adding texture to it. I can import objects into 3d coat ( stl / obj) but then I lose the scale. How can I keep the scale?

Many thanks in advance,

Joan Codina

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Hello!

My name is Andrey, I'm from Belgorod, Russia. I started playing with 3D-Coat this year and still learning. I really like texturing with 3D-Coat, especially hand painted style (honestly, I can't do that very well for now, I need more practice). And I'm looking toward PBR workflow and wondering how to combine PBR with hand painted style.
Also other features of 3D-Coat are just mind blowing. Can't stop saying: the more I use it - the more I love it :)

Thanks

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Names Matt and I'm from Ontario, Canada. Just bought 3D-Coat 2 days ago and its taking me a bit to get used to sculpting everything and the pose tool in general instead of the usual select edges/faces and then use the extrude,bevel,etc tools :p Only figured out yesterday pose is pretty much all of that in one. Really loving the program so far but I can see it taking a bit for me to get used to doing stuff this way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

New user here but I've using 3D coat for a few months now. This program is truly awesome. Its completely revamped the way I make models (mostly do hard surface modeling). I love how it has normal baking, UV unwrapping, and I can even convert my low poly models to voxels to make a high resolution version. Of course the pairing section is my favorite part. The biggest problem is its too much fun to keep painting and adding more details its hard to stop.

Definitely looking forward to future updates this program gets for sure, the features are really great. Here is one of the models I made the normals and did painting with in 3D Coat (its a mod for a video game):

Zobs4lc.jpg

cHhfB95.jpg

• Like 5

Hello,

My name is Stefan.  I've been building jewelry for most of my life (30yrs now).  Having a dad who was a goldsmith as well, I started making things around 10yrs old. I have been working professionally in jewelry since I was 17.  I own a small jewelry store in northern Idaho.  I do all facets of jewelry; repair, custom, casting, setting, etc.  For all of these years I've carved jewelry models straight from a block of wax.  I'm really enjoying using 3d coat and not having to hand carve everything!  Ive barely scratched the surface of what I know I'll be able to do with it.  I'm looking forward to talking, learning and sharing with other people using it in various ways.  Anyway...Onward!

• Like 2

Hello everybody, I'm new here and I am a new user of 3D coat since about one year now.

This software is kickass and really intuitive it is what I was searching for. Hope I will discuss with new people and share ideas here.

Thanks to the team for the feature on your gallery page !

• Like 1

Hi. I'm Susi.

I have been remotely involved in 3D-printing for about two years (a piteous story of me being used by an unscrupulous company, so I think I'll just leave it at that :rolleyes:)
Am an electronic engineer who recently was paid-off by the company I'm not talking about, so I bought a FlashForge Creator Pro (2016) in October with the cash.
It was then I was bitten by the 3D-Bug - HARD!

I started reading and researching everything I could with respect to 3D printing. During my meanderings, I came across a podcast named "3D Printing Today." The two chaps are continuously waxing lyrical about something called "3D Code." I'd listened to dozens of old episodes, and it nearly drove me crazy trying to find it!
Something made me search this evening for "3D Coat"... and here I am. At last! :D

I now work for a UK filament manufacturer providing technical support (and produce bespoke engineering 3D designs/prints in a private capacity).
I am a happy kitty!!

Susi xx

• Like 3

Hello everybody,

My name is Mauro and I live in Northampton, UK.

I am a 3D artist generalist and currently working as lead 3d artist for Jaguar Land Rover, in the Design Visualization Animation team.

I have been doing these type of jobs since the Amiga days, along with traditional illustration, photo retouching and graphics design as well.

My main tool today is Maya, with many other software as companions like Mudbox, UV Layout, Photoshop, After Effects, Fusion and so on and so forth.

Also I am getting back to LightWave 3D, which I used to use back in the days and I found still an amazing piece of software, very very capable.

I have just bought a 3D Coat Pro license, because I wanted to get into this software since I watched some good videos on youtube about it. It looks very straight forward and "artist friendly", which I like very much although I am able to swim deep into technical stuff if and when needed.

I hope it won't take long before I can be productive with the software! Can't see the time to get my hands dirty! :D

Meanwhile I wish all of you all the best!

Thank you

• Like 3

Hi,everyone!

My name is Gabriele from Italy.I'm a goldsmith for 25y at the workbench,6y as cad designer for jewelry with Rhinoceros and a old-style sculptor.

I'm looking for lessons,video,pdf etc... to have a first approach to make jewelry with 3dcoat.But on youtube i can find only few video in speedsculpt...

In my opinion 3dcoat is a very powerful sw better than zbrush.(at least the learning curve is easier)

Could anyone help me for tips and tricks?

Best regards to all!!!

Gabriele

• Like 2

Hi, My name is Kyle I started with tinkering modeling and Blender back when Blender was at the 2.5 stage. I was also a Bryce and Poser user, god I am showing my age. Kept with Blender for some time and got sick of the old school method of texturing models, so I played around with ZBrush when it was new to the seen and the learning curve to me seemed to steep for my taste. I just recently opted to get 3D Coat because I still have issues with UV unwrapping complex models, and I can't seem to find a solid method to the madness. I took a break from modeling all together for a couple years and was hitting the electric guitar pretty hard but my job involved a lot of hours and traveling all over the globe, so once I completed that venture and changed careers into IT, I picked up modeling once again as a stress reliever and creative output. Currently using Blender, 3D Coat (Learning it), Substance Painter, Hexagon 2.5, DAZ Studio 4.9, Bryce 7 Pro, Painter 2016. Nail me to the stake but no Photoshop here not a fan.

Here is a list of things I have tinkered with but always came back to Blender just something about it's UI and the community that supports it. 

Maya

3DS Gamemax

3DS Max

Rhino

A little bit of Lightwave in the beginning when it hit the scene

GIMP

The list is pretty lengthy so I will end on that note

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys and girls.

Im new to 3D Coat I come from Blender and Starcraft editor. I will love to jump in to 3D Coat but so far I find my self a little lost and frustrated with the program when it comes to make model. I can Paint my models beautiful but making models is hard for me. I have look at the youtube vids and I have gotten so far but still If there a good person that can help me out with the program. I so far have the trial but I will love to buy the full version.

If you can HELP......I will promise I will be soo grateful.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Hello and welcome to the new users of 3DC. My time at the forums is sometimes a lot and other times limited, Life duties takes me away.

Recently I been around the net looking at the work that 3DC produces in the hands of artist. From Organic to Hard Surface and am amazed at the art created.  So for you new users, first enjoy the process of learning and pick up the tools as you go along.

@ EvilMP... There are old in years guys around here, I am one of them (64 times around Sol). I was never a great modeler, polygons and me were not the best of friends. The reason 3DC saved me, I can sculpt the model and create polygons on the surface of said model. We never get away from from polygons and good edge flow but 3DC sure makes it more fun.

@Wargirl... What kind of modelling do you do, Organic, hard surface or a combination of both. I can give you a hand but it would need to be through Skype with screen sharing.  The tools and knowing the use of them I would be happy to show you. Send me a pm if interested.

@aurifex... This is not a tutorial but a time lapse video. You can under the gear icon slow down the speed of the video to see how this artist creates jewelry to get ideas...

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

My name is Waldemar, initially I'm from Kazakhstan, but live in Germany. I'm fairly new to sculpting, although I have fiddled around with other software like 3dsmax, maya and mudbox before (the student versions). I kinda hated how Mudbox was feeling in terms of creating a model from ground up. And when I first tried out 3D Coat I was really impressed by how intuitive voxel sculpting feels and, since I have a 3D mouse (not from 3dconnexion, but the Space Controller from www.spacecontrol.us), I wanted to be able to use that as well and with that 3D Coat is even more awesome (which is also why refuse to even try ZBrush - no support there at all for such devices).

Because of my background as a software developer and being a hobby graphics programmer, I was pretty familiar with the technical side of how 3D Coat works and the terminology, so the hardest part for me now is to get actual sculpting and retopoing done :).

I actually wrote a Mudbox plugin to get my 3D mouse working there, but that didn't help much in terms of "intuitivity", so I dropped that and I'm really glad I did, because 3D Coat is really fun, from what I've tried so far.

I bought the "Amateur" edition, because I'm doing that as a hobby exclusively, now. I wanted to create models for graphics-tech-demos and more-or-less small games, but that's still just supposed to be a hobby. I think I can still upgrade, if that's not enough, but because I'm still learning how to use all those tools, I'll be fine for quite some time (it's great how much there is to find about this software on youtube). I haven't done much with it, yet - I feel I should do more sculpting myself instead of looking at workflow tutorials all the time :).

Btw. I'm using the beta 4.7.26, because I like using the newest versions there are. I'm aware of it possibly not being stable, but I'm also used to save a lot.

@Wargirl I'd recommend you this video series on youtube: 

I find he gives a least a good overview of the basic functionalities (across 23 videos) and the they aren't too long. Once you're through with this video series you should have at least a basic idea of the core functionality. However you still need to try all that stuff yourself, because only watching someone explain the features doesn't mean you get familiar with them. Since it's a lot to explain, it still takes at least a few hours to get through the videos (in terms of total video length).

There are also some videos on the 3D Coat channel that go deeper into the specific details of all the features. I find it a bit hard to follow though, when every little thing is explained, but it's still a good resource to learn with/from.

• Like 1