3DCoat Forums

Software for unemployed, students, veterans

Greg

• Contributor

Hey all,

I know times are tough for a lot of us, so thought I'd mention this. This week I found out Autodesk is offering free software - (you can't use it commercially though) to people who are either a student, unemployed or a veteran. I fit into at least one of those categories, and signed up. All went well and I got licenses for Maya the same day. I already had a 3ds max license.

I'm mainly a Lightwave user, but never hurts to learn a new package, especially for free.

And, it's not restricted to just one of their packages - they list 25 on the site.

http://students.autodesk.com/?nd=assistance_home

Also, if you're an unemployed web developer or student (don't think this offers is for veterans, but you could ask), Adobe offers Flash Builder 4 Standard (once again for non-commercial use). They say it can take up to 2 weeks to get license, but download the trial version (60 days) and go for it.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/free/

Sorry if this is old news, but it wasn't to me.

Just passing this along for what it may be worth to any of you. I live in the U.S. and don't know if it applies to friends in other countries or not.

Greg

P.S. If you're an unemployed veteran who is also a student, maybe you can download each 3 times. :nea:

• Contributor

Not so free, its the AP (watermarked) versions and the license is only valid for 13 months and you have to live in the states.

T.

I've done a few renders up to 3000 x 3000 size and there's no watermark that I can see. I suppose that even if there was, the main purpose is to allow people to learn the software, so no big deal.

Sorry to hear it's USA only - I'd mentioned that I was unsure about that.

Greg

• Advanced Member

Not so free, its the AP (watermarked) versions and the license is only valid for 13 months and you have to live in the states.

T.

Tser not sure where your getting your info but on the link given it clearly says the programe is also available for:-

Brazil

Mexico

Czech Republic

France

Italy

Germany

Poland

Portugal

Spain

United Kingdom

And who is to say you can't just renew your FREE license? I feel like I could use the phrase "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" But I have never understood that saying. Do horses bite or something is that what it means? :)

• Contributor

Tser not sure where your getting your info but on the link given it clearly says the programe is also available for:-

Brazil

Mexico

Czech Republic

France

Italy

Germany

Poland

Portugal

Spain

United Kingdom

And who is to say you can't just renew your FREE license? I feel like I could use the phrase "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" But I have never understood that saying. Do horses bite or something is that what it means? :)

That's a good saying for this!

"The advice given in the 'don't look...' proverb is: when given a present, be grateful for your good fortune and don't look for more by examining it to assess its value."

I'm happy to hear that it is available to the countries you've listed. Thirteen months seems like a really good amount of time to find if you like a software enough to buy it or not, and definitely long enough to evaluate if you can/want to learn it. And, like you said, it may actually be renewable.

• Contributor

Brazil

Mexico

Czech Republic

France

Italy

Germany

Poland

Portugal

Spain

United Kingdom

You judge a horses age by the length of it's teeth ("long in the tooth" means old). But a "Gift horse" (i.e, free), should not be judged with the same

criteria as one you have to pay for.

• Advanced Member

Ohwr, no Australia. Come on horsey, we like horses here too.

I am wondering though, I have been able to get a student license in the past for AutoCAD, which is listed among the programs available. Might give it a try anyhow.

Thanks for the link Greg.

Edit; I have been able to get this in Australia under a student license. I would assume it would also be possible in NZ. also.