3DCoat Forums

Kitbashing

Spiraloid

• Advanced Member

128040105736.jpg

Anticipating the automatic retopology tools release, I got familiar with 3DC and tried to build something with no regard for how long it would take me to retopolgize.

stamp. cut. clone. stamp. carve. messy messy fast.

I'm sure the retopolgy tech will fail to create a game useable asset on something like this, but someday this bubble will break.

It was pretty inspiring to build something 10x faster than I would have otherwise.

I started a spiraloid vimeo channel and uploaded a turntable and timelapse if anyone would like to see.

http://vimeo.com/channels/spiraloid

now if only the merge tool could work with shaded meshes so when I was done, all the parts and their boundaries could be used as hints for the retopology/uv/texture base... ah daydreams.

the future looks bright.

-bay

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Funny Model!

Such additive modeling by melting together primitives and

premodeled components really seems to work great.

The Timelapse should have a place on the 3DC website.

Edit:

Oops - I just realize that I was talking to the legendary Bay Raitt...

• Advanced Member

Greets!

Thanks for the kind words!

yeah being able to use cut&clone is a dream worlflow. I love designing in 3D, and this voxel trick really makes it crazy easy. it's like a combination of the best of physical sculpting and digital without the superglue on your fingers.

128047708886.jpg

btw, I'm doing these little one minute tests to get my mind used to thinking this way.

128045135443.jpg

I can't believe this kind of stuff is possible now in 60 seconds. I can't wait till this is animateable in the same time.

post-3075-12804785765972_thumb.png

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Bay, while I have never been in Character-Modeling one of your Articles was certainly one of the greatest impulses for me as a Nurbs-Guy in Product-Design to look at SubD as well.

Good to see you commenting on workflow-issues too! 3D Coat is certainly a gem but still unpolished - I'm sure your advise is very welcome!

• Advanced Member

Bay, while I have never been in Character-Modeling one of your Articles was certainly one of the greatest impulses for me as a Nurbs-Guy in Product-Design to look at SubD as well.

Good to see you commenting on workflow-issues too! 3D Coat is certainly a gem but still unpolished - I'm sure your advise is very welcome!

I'm glad that article was usefull!

(I can't believe how long ago that was)

I would have thought for sure edge-loops would have been out of style by now. ;)

messing around with the render settings.

128048168158.jpg

128048222826.jpg

(found a small bug. looks like the cavity shader layer doesn't get re-computed after the first render. I'm seeing the ghosts of cavities past when I move my camera.)

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Welcome to the 3DC forums.

What a "horror" model for all retopo modelers. I hope, but I am not shure, the new retopo routine will ever retopo such a model...

:)

yeah, creating a topo "horror" was certainly a goal. I wonder if you could autocreate the hint curves and loops by processing the cavity shader...

yeah, creating a topo "horror" was certainly a goal. I wonder if you could autocreate the hint curves and loops by processing the cavity shader...

That's certainly a great idea... I'll pass that along.

128040105736.jpg

Anticipating the automatic retopology tools release, I got familiar with 3DC and tried to build something with no regard for how long it would take me to retopolgize.

stamp. cut. clone. stamp. carve. messy messy fast.

I'm sure the retopolgy tech will fail to create a game useable asset on something like this, but someday this bubble will break.

It was pretty inspiring to build something 10x faster than I would have otherwise.

I started a spiraloid vimeo channel and uploaded a turntable and timelapse if anyone would like to see.

http://vimeo.com/channels/spiraloid

now if only the merge tool could work with shaded meshes so when I was done, all the parts and their boundaries could be used as hints for the retopology/uv/texture base... ah daydreams.

the future looks bright.

-bay

Nice man, nice! I really wish we would have had this video for Siggraph. It would have gone over well.

• Advanced Member

In the case of the Curve-Tool also Topological Separation "by stroke" was thinkable when 3DC kept track of that internally.

Quite in the way Zbrush offers creation of Groups/Grouploops on single strokes of Zspheres(2)...

• Advanced Member

hi.great model.

what exactly do you mean with the cavity shader layer,i cant get it.

btw

you can merge each of the meshes into each diferent layer and assign a diferent shader to each one layer.try the default shader with diferent colors in each layer.

hope this can be helpfull.

good to have you here.

also check the retopo layers for this mesh!

• Advanced Member

Really great models. You should try the auto retopo just for the heck of it.

I tried retopo with the default settings and got this:

128069690507.jpg

tuning the settings just crashed out.

I did try subdividing the autotopo mesh and got this!

128069686395.jpg

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I tried retopo with the default settings and got this:

128069690507.jpg

tuning the settings just crashed out.

I did try subdividing the autotopo mesh and got this!

128069686395.jpg

Try temporarily turning snapping off (toggle in the upper left hand corner of the screen). You could also try some of the different snapping modes (maybe snapping to surface will work best). Snapping is where things go haywire in certain spots, sometimes.

What I would try is to turn off snapping, then subdivide > turn snapping back on > click "snap" in the (leftside) tools. If that doesn't quite do the trick then try it again, but use the Brush tool (hold down the SHIFT key to smooth) to relax the trouble spots. Then see if you come out with a bald porcupine. :D

• Advanced Member

learning to stamp with masks and pen alphas.

128090335290.jpg

60 second test

things that would make the workflow faster:

-alt middle drag on a curve knot moving in/out in screen space

-slide on surface keyboard modifier for the transform gizmo so that I can stop using "on pen"

-make each tool (carve, cut&clone, split, inflate, merge etc) remember their stroke type.

the lasso stroke doesn't help me using the merge tool, I never want it on the curve tool. I keep going back and fort and have to use e each time.

• Advanced Member

These all are cool doodles!

Make sure that these Feature Requests reach Andrew. Best is to attach some Graphics or to record a short Clip

when things get subtle.

While playing around with your shared model I found another bug/trap:

One can not increase the resolution without ruining the model(without Undo-Option!).

I'm sure this phenomen is difficult to avoid but some provision had to be taken in order to

protect us from losing models.

• Advanced Member

There is a few things I saw you do in the video of the gun that I have not seen any tutorials for. e.g. What are you doing when creating the grip? You draw a shape and it becomes a 3d object. I have searched high and low for how to do that but without any success.

Cheers

Mike R

There is a few things I saw you do in the video of the gun that I have not seen any tutorials for. e.g. What are you doing when creating the grip? You draw a shape and it becomes a 3d object. I have searched high and low for how to do that but without any success.

This is done with the marquee type tools like rectangle in the E panel (hit the E key). It only works with some tools, like Increase or Carve. Holding Ctrl makes them cut through the mesh, but doing it without Ctrl creates the shape in "thin air". There are a few options in the Params panel when doing this.

Here's a video:

http://screencast.com/t/OGI3NjJkZjg

• Advanced Member

philnolan3d,

Thanks for that. On the mac it doesn't seem to work with increase but worked perfectly with spheres. I think that threw me. The fact that not all tools have the same options. lol. Of course after watching the original posters video creating the bat skull I suddenly saw the ability to quickly build using the sphere tool the mass needed for some models. Makes me mad that i never worked that one out, as I had been looking forward to a certain other app being upgraded so that I had the same tech as the pc users and here it was in probably a simpler usable form in 3dcoat all the time. (I also own a pc licence for that other app but cant be bothered opening windows for one app. :D )

Thank you again.

Mike R