3DCoat Forums

3.1.10 x64 CUDA - AUTO-RETOPOED OBECT WITH AUTO UV's YIELDS ARTIFACTS IN PAINT ROOM

• Advanced Member

I was trying out Auto-retopo without topology guides. The result was quite successful. Yet, after I sent the retopoed object into the paint room for per pixel paint with Nmap, I got these horrible artifacts... Is this bug still lingering on in 3DC?

AJ

post-1633-12819646079042_thumb.jpg

I was trying out Auto-retopo without topology guides. The result was quite successful. Yet, after I sent the retopoed object into the paint room for per pixel paint with Nmap, I got these horrible artifacts... Is this bug still lingering on in 3DC?

AJ

It looks like auto-mapping produced not too good result. Try merging to ptex or correct uv-s manually.

• Advanced Member

It looks like auto-mapping produced not too good result. Try merging to ptex or correct uv-s manually.

Yes, but that's irrelevant on an object like this Andrew, because on an object with as intricate a form as this one, you would want to avoid had building and/or hand adjusting UVs. I have such objects in the background in a project such as this one that need to be produced in hundreds hence the reason why I was testing auto-retopo with auto-UV's out. We need to save time modeling that stuff (and we're not using ptex either) What I derive from your reply as a result is that even if I painstakingly opened up UV's for such an object, I would still en up with these seams that show up not only in the Normal Map layer, but the diffuse and AO layers as well... Not good...

• Contributor

Yes, but that's irrelevant on an object like this Andrew, because on an object with as intricate a form as this one, you would want to avoid had building and/or hand adjusting UVs. I have such objects in the background in a project such as this one that need to be produced in hundreds hence the reason why I was testing auto-retopo with auto-UV's out. We need to save time modeling that stuff (and we're not using ptex either) What I derive from your reply as a result is that even if I painstakingly opened up UV's for such an object, I would still en up with these seams that show up not only in the Normal Map layer, but the diffuse and AO layers as well... Not good...

Merge to Ptex.

On export 3DCoat will create another kind of special automatic Uvs on your .obj.

(when using Export model...you will have real Uvs...not Ptex format,dont worry)

Those UVs dont have any seams.

Here is 20000 polys object with those magic Uvs and a displacement map both exported from 3DCoat loaded in another app.

post-1195-1282048199309_thumb.jpg

Merge to Ptex.

On export 3DCoat will create another kind of special automatic Uvs on your .obj.

(when using Export model...you will have real Uvs...not Ptex format,dont worry)

Those UVs dont have any seams.

Here is 20000 polys object with those magic Uvs and a displacement map both exported from 3DCoat loaded in another app.

post-1195-1282048199309_thumb.jpg

"another app." LOL! :p:

• Contributor

"another app." LOL! :p:

Whats funny? :huh: I didnt write it was MB because the test just shows that Uvs are seamless..it doesnt matter if its Zbrush,3DSmax,Mudbox or Blender...

Mudbox trial is the only app I had at hand to test 32bit displacemt import...I dont know how to import displacment map in other apps.

Whats funny? :huh: I didnt write it was MB because the test just shows that Uvs are seamless..it doesnt matter if its Zbrush,3DSmax,Mudbox or Blender...

Mudbox trial is the only app I had at hand to test 32bit displacemt import...I dont know how to import displacment map in other apps.

No no. Keep cool. I meant nothing special, just amused. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

• Advanced Member

What I derive from your reply as a result is that even if I painstakingly opened up UV's for such an object, I would still en up with these seams that show up not only in the Normal Map layer, but the diffuse and AO layers as well... Not good...

I'm not sure how you derived from Andrew's reply that seams would still show up if you created your UVs manually.

• Advanced Member

I'm not sure how you derived from Andrew's reply that seams would still show up if you created your UVs manually.

Because I don't find using ptex a direct solution to remedy this problem, sounds more like a work around... If normal map generation tends to get screwed up with auto UVs, I don't see how you could get seamless results with hand opened UVs, because I must say that every time I sen an object to the paint room for ppp with nm, I get somewhat satisfactory results but never without seam artifacts... And if you have read both Andrew and Artman's replies, there seems to be something wrong going on with objects sent to the paint room for pppw/nm. If ptex export remedies that problem and that one has to export out an object to get seamless propagation, then there's definitely something wrong...

• Contributor

And if you have read both Andrew and Artman's replies, there seems to be something wrong going on with objects sent to the paint room for pppw/nm. If ptex export remedies that problem and that one has to export out an object to get seamless propagation, then there's definitely something wrong...

I bake normal maps to perpixelpainting all the time and on my side results are seamless in 3dsmax,Xnormal viewer.

The problem is not with objects sent to the paint room for pppw/nm its with using automapping along TS NMaps..

You must not use Automapping when using Tangent Space Normal maps.

Its a rule.It has nothing to do with 3DCoat.

Its the nature of Tangent space normal maps to be seam sensitive.Any pro that knows about Nmaps will tell you that.

Look at Aurick replies (4th post)if you dont trust me(Just to quote a pro)

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=71212

If you want less seam sensitive Nomalmap use Object Space normal maps.

If normal map generation tends to get screwed up with auto UVs, I don't see how you could get seamless results with hand opened UVs

Well its logical...

Auto-Uvs = hundred of little Uv islands = hundreds of seams.

Handmade Uvs = Few Uv islands = small amount of seams.(so less chance they pops out in when displayed in engine).

• Advanced Member

I bake normal maps to perpixelpainting all the time and on my side results are seamless in 3dsmax,Xnormal viewer.

The problem is not with objects sent to the paint room for pppw/nm its with using automapping along TS NMaps..

You must not use Automapping when using Tangent Space Normal maps.

Its a rule.It has nothing to do with 3DCoat.

Its the nature of Tangent space normal maps to be seam sensitive.Any pro that knows about Nmaps will tell you that.

Look at Aurick replies (4th post)if you dont trust me(Just to quote a pro)

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=71212

If you want less seam sensitive Nomalmap use Object Space normal maps.

Well its logical...

Auto-Uvs = hundred of little Uv islands = hundreds of seams.

Handmade Uvs = Few Uv islands = small amount of seams.(so less chance they pops out in when displayed in engine).

Artman, I must admit you have a well made point there. Your statements are based on true facts especially concerning the nature of tangent space normal maps. Thank you... I must admit that my observations/experiences got a little side-tracked and the point you've made here is actually quite enlightening. Thanx for sharing.