3DCoat Forums

Proper retopo symmetry workflow?

dirtrobot

Hi All - This is more related to both the autoretopo and manual retopo workflow in 3dCoat:

-When I am rebuilding the topo by hand, whether by curves or quads/points/etcetcetc... how do I get the symmetrical version of the mesh to appear/interact? I tried turning on symmetry but it only shows me the polys that have crossed over the center line and the rest have disappeared.

-Can I mirror my drawn curves to the other side of the axis before generating a retopo mesh?

-How do I know I am generating a symmetrical autoretopo mesh? Do I have to go in the retopo room first and turn on symmetry?

-Finally, how can I see the retopo I am building? It seems buried under the voxel object and I can't figure out how to see it (voxel transparency didn't work)?

Thanks so much for your time!

Hi All - This is more related to both the autoretopo and manual retopo workflow in 3dCoat:

-When I am rebuilding the topo by hand, whether by curves or quads/points/etcetcetc... how do I get the symmetrical version of the mesh to appear/interact? I tried turning on symmetry but it only shows me the polys that have crossed over the center line and the rest have disappeared.

Turning on symmetry only shows a "ghost" copy of the polys. To finalize this pick one of the Apply Symmetry options in the Retopo menu, now you can turn off Symmetry if you like.

-Can I mirror my drawn curves to the other side of the axis before generating a retopo mesh?

Right now no, but if symmetry is turned on it will still respect them as if they were there.

-How do I know I am generating a symmetrical autoretopo mesh? Do I have to go in the retopo room first and turn on symmetry?

Symmetry is the same across all rooms, meaning if it's on in one room, it's on in all of them

-Finally, how can I see the retopo I am building? It seems buried under the voxel object and I can't figure out how to see it (voxel transparency didn't work)?

Try adjusting the Z-Bias slider across the top of the screen that may help see it better. The problem is obviously that your putting squares on a round object so something has to give, the Z-Bias helps make up for it. I often turn it all the way off though, depending on the situation.

Turning on symmetry only shows a "ghost" copy of the polys. To finalize this pick one of the Apply Symmetry options in the Retopo menu, now you can turn off Symmetry if you like.

Right now no, but if symmetry is turned on it will still respect them as if they were there.

Symmetry is the same across all rooms, meaning if it's on in one room, it's on in all of them

Try adjusting the Z-Bias slider across the top of the screen that may help see it better. The problem is obviously that your putting squares on a round object so something has to give, the Z-Bias helps make up for it. I often turn it all the way off though, depending on the situation.

Big thanks! I'll try all of this out!

Oh sorry I forgot to mention that, it only works on the positive side. That's been driving me crazy lately I almost reported a bug several times before realizing that I was just on the wrong side of the model.

No worries, if it wasn't for your help, I wouldn't have bee prompted to try ;)