3DCoat Forums

robotbob sketchbook

robotbob

hi

i am new at this, this is my second sculpt, probably took about an hour and a half. i have pasted the render down on the drawings i was sculpting from to put the model in context.they are drawings i made of people stuck in train stations during the Icelandic volcano cloud, i was one of those stuck people. its my intention to mostly sculpt stylized characters rather than anything really high detailed or realistic. Sculpting really low detail stuff actually seems a little difficult for me, I end up fussing with detail i did not initially intend to want. but i guess i can control low detail better once i retopologize the mesh. thats the next bit of of the program i am going to learn. i am still figuring out the tools but 3DC is the most fun i have had playing with new software in a long time.

post-3163-12837774874672_thumb.jpg

this was my first sculpt, and in context, the drawing i worked from. my work is usually animation based.

it probably looks more like my drawing style than my second WIP

the hair is a hack job and all wrong. i know 3DC can do a much better job by using the muscles brush than i have done here. looking forward to sculpt number three.

when i get a sculpt i am happy with ill finish it, move it into cinema 4d for rigging and animation.

When i brought 3DC I was intending do all texturing in c4d also, but now think i will learn the paint room. ptex looks pretty useful.

i know these WIPs are a bit lame, but i am really busy at the moment so i am sort of stabbing at this program in short, little bursts.

post-3163-12837897910557_thumb.jpg

3rd sculpt - this one uses a much higher polycount ( 748184 ) , i did find the tools were much more precise. This sculpt took a bit longer too as i tried some new methods. probably about 4 hours. This is still very much a WIP but i think i am going to finish this one. i guess i wanted a kind of stupefied look rather than an angry one, but was not all that successful. however its kind of a moot point because ultimately he needs more or less a neutral expression before rigging.

post-3163-12838793457021_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

3rd sculpt - this one uses a much higher polycount ( 748184 ) , i did find the tools were much more precise. This sculpt took a bit longer too as i tried some new methods. probably about 4 hours. This is still very much a WIP but i think i am going to finish this one. i guess i wanted a kind of stupefied look rather than an angry one, but was not all that successful. however its kind of a moot point because ultimately he needs more or less a neutral expression before rigging.

Oh I like the last one! Mid Burp I imagine? :)

• 6 months later...

its been a long long time since i have properly tinkered with coat. last night i manually retopologized a head model for the first time, then baked it to the paint-room also for the very first time and was amazed at the detail catchment in the normal maps. i was not expecting anything like that. ignore the green, its baked from the shader. the body is painted in 3DC also. so much more to learn.

post-3163-0-11359900-1301438517_thumb.jp

post-3163-0-28685600-1301438646_thumb.jp

one more test on the retop head. very simple paint adjustments done to the baked textures in and then rendered with c4d + grade in after effects. i dropped the displacement at this point to see what i can get out of the normals and so it renders in a few seconds.

post-3163-0-97241800-1301526373_thumb.jp

no specific story, its just tinkering around mostly, trying to learn 3dc here and there.

i had a few exciting projects that got put on 'hold' in january, so these are just tests to probe where those projects would have taken me using coat.

the test below uses coat for morphs creation. not very sophisticated morphs, as there is alot of stretching, but i made them very quickly.

i expect a better result on the second round but with more care.

the test is below, sound too if you have it sorted out.

clicky