Andrew Shpagin

3D-Coat 3.5 released!

94 posts in this topic

Very good upgrade ! :yahoo:

seems like for one time i jumped on the right boat...

not each time the case...

thank you very much for all the good stuff

I use my SpacePilot with 3DC almost everyday, and have had no difficulties with it. May be a driver glitch. Try downloading the latest driver for the device if you haven't already and installing/re-installing it.

I have downloaded latest version 3-11-3_r955 uninstalled previous version and installed the new one. And stiil buttons in SN do not work.

Some versions of 3DC all was ok. From 3 or 4 builds ago they stopped to work.

System specs are in my footer.

What it should be wrong? In other programs they work as needed. 

I have to start my SpacePilot driver as administrator every day for it all to work for me. I'm on a Windows 7 64 bit machine too.

Greg

edit: I just put a link to the driver on my desktop, set the properties (compatabilty) as 'run this program as administrator' and click it in the morning when I'm ready to work. It's really not any hassle.

I have downloaded latest version 3-11-3_r955 uninstalled previous version and installed the new one. And stiil buttons in SN do not work.

Some versions of 3DC all was ok. From 3 or 4 builds ago they stopped to work.

System specs are in my footer.

What it should be wrong? In other programs they work as needed.

1 person likes this

What can I say...dry.gif

Everything is difficult if you don't know what to do :)

Very BIG thank You :)

No problem! Glad it's working for you. :)

Greg

What can I say...dry.gif

Thank you for that Greg, very helpful info. :)

What can I say...dry.gif

I disable the User Account Control upon first installing Windows 7. I hate that darn thing. It's more trouble to the user than it is for any would-be hackers.

a big hug for the awesome tinker collection! Very well thought out set that is and makes a lot of fun to model with really!

Yeah! I concur, fantastic tool set there Tinker, well done. I have had a bit of a go making a space ship myself, using a lot of your stuff for attachments etc. Here's a screen or 2. So far its pretty basic as compared to yours;

128496960519.jpg

128496999560.jpg

If I may ask, how do you go about making them? I can make objects no worries, but I don't know how you put the bounding box's that remove the voxels surrounding the objects, and there's no doubt other things I am missing also. I'd like to have a go at making some that I can share with the community also. Or is there a tutorial already for doing this?

Anyway thanks. :clapping:

Yeah! I concur, fantastic tool set there Tinker, well done. I have had a bit of a go making a space ship myself, using a lot of your stuff for attachments etc. Here's a screen or 2. So far its pretty basic as compared to yours;

128496960519.jpg

128496999560.jpg

If I may ask, how do you go about making them? I can make objects no worries, but I don't know how you put the bounding box's that remove the voxels surrounding the objects, and there's no doubt other things I am missing also. I'd like to have a go at making some that I can share with the community also. Or is there a tutorial already for doing this?

Anyway thanks. :clapping:

There are positive and negative volumes. You may have several objects in your primitive. If object is called some_name_negative it is treated as negative volume. It will be subtracted from the current volume before merging. Then all rest objects will be merged to scene. Open any of Tinker's objects and you will see how it works.

OK! Thanks Andrew, So 3DCoats engine does it via naming convention. It was not clear to me until I opened 1 in SoftImage and looked at the scene hierarchy. Cool, I have a few ideas for some Negative volume objects.

Thank you for your help. :drinks::D

Andrew, does 3DC have any performance advantages if CPU with HyperThreading is used vs non-HT cpu ?? Will it change soon ? I read 3DC bought some programming multithreaded libraries from Intel.Now I dont know which CPU should I buy with HT or non-HT, non-HT are of course cheaper.

Andrew, does 3DC have any performance advantages if CPU with HyperThreading is used vs non-HT cpu ?? Will it change soon ? I read 3DC bought some programming multithreaded libraries from Intel.Now I dont know which CPU should I buy with HT or non-HT, non-HT are of course cheaper.

It can't be clear right now before the library was not seriously used. But in general I am not big fan of HyperThreading. The more cores and frequency is better, more cash is better too. Other parameters are not as important.

OK! Thanks Andrew, So 3DCoats engine does it via naming convention. It was not clear to me until I opened 1 in SoftImage and looked at the scene hierarchy. Cool, I have a few ideas for some Negative volume objects.

Thank you for your help. :drinks::D

The PDF manual also has a section covering this. :)

You asked the same question in a separate thread also. Didn't get the answer you wanted? If you want only Andrew to answer, maybe PM him. It might help to google-search "hyperthreading" and find out how it works. Whatever is multi-threaded will get some degree of performance boost. The question is how much.

You can look on Tomshardwareguide.com to research the CPU's you're considering and see how well they do in the benchmarks. There is usually an "Applications" category that lists 3ds Max rendering benchmarks and that is usually what I go by. A 6 core AMD should outperform all but the most expensive Intel i7's (the $1k models, which are 6 Cores themselves), and cost a lot less. When I can afford to, I am going to take a look at a pair of the 8-12core Opterons that are priced lower than the Highend Intel i7's. They have lower clockspeeds, but the number of Cores for rendering are just overwhelming.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819105265&cm_re=opterons-_-19-105-265-_-Product

Renderers can use as many threads are available so 16 threads are better than 8. Most other apps can call as 4-8 threads so 4-8 non HT cores at 3gh can be more efficient. Most time my 2 xeon HT work at half speed or less because of this. But when rendering they run at full speed and its lovely.

I disable the User Account Control upon first installing Windows 7. I hate that darn thing. It's more trouble to the user than it is for any would-be hackers.

Very much agree.

You asked the same question in a separate thread also. Didn't get the answer you wanted? If you want only Andrew to answer, maybe PM him. It might help to google-search "hyperthreading" and find out how it works. Whatever is multi-threaded will get some degree of performance boost. The question is how much.

You can look on Tomshardwareguide.com to research the CPU's you're considering and see how well they do in the benchmarks. There is usually an "Applications" category that lists 3ds Max rendering benchmarks and that is usually what I go by. A 6 core AMD should outperform all but the most expensive Intel i7's (the $1k models, which are 6 Cores themselves), and cost a lot less. When I can afford to, I am going to take a look at a pair of the 8-12core Opterons that are priced lower than the Highend Intel i7's. They have lower clockspeeds, but the number of Cores for rendering are just overwhelming.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819105265&cm_re=opterons-_-19-105-265-_-Product

I think he asked because he got to know my plans about using Intel TBB library, so the question was how will it use HyperThreading. No problem there.

Is tinker's library available that he was using in the video? I see the Greebles library, but it certainly doesn't have all the goodies from the "Rich Primitives" video. Am I just missing it or did I not load it correctly?

If we don't have access to it, I'm not sure I'd showing images of the individual objects in the library ( http://www.pilgway.com/~daniel/images/TinkerModels.jpg ) in the marketing of the software as it seems kind of misleading.

Is tinker's library available that he was using in the video? I see the Greebles library, but it certainly doesn't have all the goodies from the "Rich Primitives" video. Am I just missing it or did I not load it correctly?

If we don't have access to it, I'm not sure I'd showing images of the individual objects in the library ( http://www.pilgway.com/~daniel/images/TinkerModels.jpg ) in the marketing of the software as it seems kind of misleading.

It's here:

http://www.3d-coat.com/files/TinkerModels.3dcpack

It's also on the official 3.5 announcement page right under Tinker's video:

http://3d-coat.com/3d-coat-35/

If you're using IE you may have trouble with the file, just make sure it is called TinkerModels.3dcpack not with a .zip extension. Load it with File > Install Extension.

Thanks Phil, no idea why I couldn't find it. Excited to play around with it.

Not really a bug or request but one thing i have noticed recently is for merge and snake etc a few folders seem to be less suited for one thing or need a few more in the folder as there is just a few. For example i think one was called pen tips that was for snake tool but they didn't seem to work that great but would however for merge tool instead. The folders for some like i think plants had just a few but i guess these will expand in size with time though.

The merge and snake tools are getting used all the time now for me though and i have made a few of my own also. The new model pack is really amazing also, it really shows that these tools can be used for amazing things. The only thing we need now is maybe some sharpen edge/corner tool to make diagonals and corners better as the steps effect they get can stand out still even at high res. This program is definitely starting to get good for hard surface models now though.

When I make voxel element very dense refreshing brush position over that voxel element is VERY slow.

When it has 500k tri all seems to be ok. Even with large brush diameter. Making it more dense to 2mln tri makes brush to be non responsible to mouse moves and with small brush. Very small too.

CPU i utilized to 25-40% (on 4 cores). I'm using GF 250GTS so CUDA is enabled and should be efficient.

The same situation is on other computer (2 cores and GPU non CUDA).

Any one has the same symptoms?

3DC Version does not makes any matter.