3DCoat Forums

WOW! Does Bay Raitt use 3DC?

bantu

Hey guys!

I was just wondering whether my very first modeling idol :D uses 3Dcoat? We're talking about the father of Gollum here! According to a couple of vimeo links courtesy of PhilNolan@ cgtalk. he does! I mean sorry for starting a topic like this, but this dude is like the MAN for me, ever since his spiraloid website set the tone for modeling edgeloops the right way....

Anyways, it was a pleasant surprise for me! :) I didn't buy the software becasue of this, but this little discovery just made my day. Oh, and the videos are killers. Don't be intimidated if you can't throw up stuff like him, he owns us :)

If you're up for some old schooling that envolves Bay, this is your topic. If not, please ignore...:)

ciao

OUCH!

Now I feel stupid! Thanks digital for the links :)

Sorry for not searching the forum! instead I spammed it with a fanboy thread...

Admins, please feel free to delete it sheeesh. The old schoolizm just got to me :P

• Advanced Member

No problem and i doubt the mods/others would mind too much as it is some amazing work. By the way if anyone has not seen them yet check out the new library of primitives available, they are great for this type of workflow. There is images and a video of these on the V3.5 info page.

Version 3.5 page -

http://www.3d-coat.com/3d-coat-35/

• 3 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Hey thanks for the kinds words dood. yep. the new library is awessomeness.

checkout this voxel hairball I made with tinkers toys.

-bay

Cool stuff, Bay. Could you contact Andrew and point out some of the things you'd personally like to see in 3D Coat, especially the brushes/sculpting tools...where they can be refined and improved? I think he (and us all) would benefit from your input/feedback, in this regard. For example, your idea about using cavity maps as an option to indicate edgeloops could help make the auto-retopo tools faster and more accurate.

• Advanced Member

Cool stuff, Bay. Could you contact Andrew and point out some of the things you'd personally like to see in 3D Coat, especially the brushes/sculpting tools...where they can be refined and improved? I think he (and us all) would benefit from your input/feedback, in this regard. For example, your idea about using cavity maps as an option to indicate edgeloops could help make the auto-retopo tools faster and more accurate.

sure, be happy to. is there an way of contacting him that's best?

• Advanced Member

I've just watched the spaceship vid from Tinker and tried myself to combine some of the model parts.

I don't get nice sharp edges as seen in the vid. Do I something wrong, is it a setting somewhere?

See attached image. it looks really bad.

post-3342-12865243714734_thumb.png

Peace,

Rich_Art. :good:

• Reputable Contributor

I've just watched the spaceship vid from Tinker and tried myself to combine some of the model parts.

I don't get nice sharp edges as seen in the vid. Do I something wrong, is it a setting somewhere?

See attached image. it looks really bad.

post-3342-12865243714734_thumb.png

Peace,

Rich_Art. :good:

Whenever you get that type of look in voxels, you know you need to either scale the model up or click "Increase Resolution." It's like sketching/drawing...block out with rough shapes and increase resolution or detail as you go

Rich:

Make sure, if you are starting with some base shape, in the Voxel Room, to either create it at a high resolution, (large size), or to use "Res+" BEFORE you start merging things. Then you can scale the merged parts to match the size, (resolution), of the base shape.

Greg

• Advanced Member

Asking pro artists what they think the program needs or if they think it has problems that can be improved is a good idea. Everyone should have a say and good ideas are always good ideas but pro artists create art that most other people want to do also so if they can think of some great ideas everyone benefits from it so i wouldn't even mind if that took priority over other things.

Spiraloid makes amazing art and seems to have a great workflow so i am sure he will have some cool ideas for 3DC. Maybe Andrew could start asking big name artists/game creators if they have any suggestions also. :)