3DCoat Forums

Tobias' sketchbook

Bisse

Hi! I'm completely new to 3D coat. My background is that I have about one year's experience in 3DS max and a couple of months with Mudbox. - the free student edition. When I first took up Mudbox I was completely amazed by the results I would get when modeling organic stuff. From there I've been sculpting as much as time allowed. The goal is to have a program that I can use for professional work (aspiring professional) and at the same time afford... so here I am. :-) Have been playing around with Voxels as well as Retopology. So far really impressed with both tools.

Modeled an ear as the first thing - starting out small to learn the interface. Afterwards Retopology which took me a long time. Never tried such a thing before, but it's really cool to be able to control your low poly mesh completely.

Been working on a head sculpt in Mudbox. Imported it to 3D coat and converted to voxels. Impressed that I'm able to retain the details in the mesh... Time will tell if I'm able to maintain a steady workflow with such a dense mesh.

Can you guess where I got the inspiration for this head sculpt?

post-3350-12851893753218_thumb.jpg

post-3350-12851894028991_thumb.jpg

post-3350-12851904800797_thumb.jpg

Updated with painted ear on retopoed mesh - around 1300 tries. I should be able to get a lower resolution mesh, but both painting and retopo was done rather quickly, in order to test the whole workflow out...

Currently I'm having problems with the render in 3D coat.

Please refer to attached pics.

Can you tell from looking at the render window, what I'm doing wrong?

post-3350-12853670415507_thumb.jpg

post-3350-12853670540748_thumb.jpg

Solved... I was showing both the voxel sculpt and the retopo mesh, thus having them overlapping. :rofl:

Now I just have to figure out how to actually render something out to a file. It seems that when I hit the 'render' key, the render will keep counting up rays. Does it ever stop and how do I control that?

There doesn't seem to be any tutorials, but I guess thats because its fairly easy to use... well for some that is. <_<

• 2 weeks later...