3DCoat Forums

Reducing Specularity in a Layer

D.R. Greenlaw

Hi,

I've been using 3CC for a while now but I have what seems like a 'newbie' question anyway: How do I reduce existing specularity in a layer? I know there's a command in Adjustments to remove it entirely but I just want to reduce the strength of the effect, not remove it.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

G.

Edit: I figured out a workaround: Export the spec map, reduce the intensity in Photoshop, and then import the altered image to the layer as a spec map. I don't know if this is official way to do this but it works. Still, it would be nice to have layer adjustment controls for spec from within 3DC so I could see the changes interactively. (If this feature exists, please tell!.) :)

• 2 years later...

Ty Phil and Digman :)

ouch !! more settings !?!?!? :D

let me see... hmmmm...

so, Layer Tab and Blending Tab works together interconnected, ok ^_^

Opacity 100% at Layer Tab means Color Opacity 1 at Blending Tab

Depth 100% at LT means Depth Modulator 1 at BT

Contrast / Brightness is self explanatory

- Emboss power... normal map height? vector displacement zero level offset?

Specularity Modulator 1 is the setting i need to change, good. Specular level

* Why not there isnt a Specularity 100% at LT ? Mantis request here.

Specularity Brightness... can add numerical values without limits... im setting +500 or -500 just to try... is this ok ?

looks like Glossiness... am i right ?

*but have not soften... Mantis request here

Linked layer... great add for modulation B)

and finally...

1- all settings modify every layer...

-> is there any chance to vary all layer value at same time ?

supposse i need to dim ALL layers specularity at 50%

2- BT settings are only for visualization? or can be exported ?

ty in advance... sorry loooong post :blush:

• Reputable Contributor

Open up your UV Texture editor and use the blending adjustments as your are viewing each of your uv set's, Color,Normals and Spec. Viewing the effects in realtime helps on understanding what they do... They are not just for visualization.

Modify all layers, I do not think you can but not sure...

Specularity Brightness, seems to create a overall gloss effect.

Transparency only locks the color pixels not depth or spec...

There is a Apply blending in the Layers menu (Top interface) or when you right click on a paint layer, whether you have to select this for some blending operations I do not know... This area of 3DCoat is a little fuzzy to me at the moment...

I got more options for you, Right click on a paint layer... :blink:

Just have fun exploring, That is what I do... mmmm, Lets see what this does, Oh, well about that....

• Contributor

One thing I never understood: Why bother with this slider at all ? Why not just make the brushes with spec like they behave in the vox room.

Paint = add

paint+ctrl = substract ....

No need for a slider, spec is basicaly a spec up or down operation, to make gradients the slider with percentage method is a chore, you constantly have to adjust it to lay small layers of spec...

• Contributor

Because then you can't add different amounts of spec, it's all or nothing.

Spec opacity ?

The problem currently is that you can't sample your opacity on your layer and reduce it without changing the value in the slider. With a spec opacity you could change those value progressively with pressure, by alterning between black and white (cause there's no real spec color in 3dcoat for now)

In fact the "all or nothing" resides in the current system. It's either n % spec applied or.... no alternative, change your spec value because you can't use black and white to ajust your spec amount manualy like anyone does in photoshop for instance... AND because there's no pressure sensitivity on spec (test it: put 100%, try to add little spec: you can't it's almost 100% and once you're there, you can't tone down without touching this slider again...)

With paint normal (add white to map relative to %) and ctrl +paint (add black to map relative to %) you could adjust your spec amount without as much interaction as it currently stand !

We have this function in depth mode already ! Why not reuse it ?

It's another example of 3dcoat trying to reinvent the wheel: we have years of "standardization" in using swap colors (b&w) to establish spec amount in photoshop and 3dcoat create an OBLIGATORY spec slider which can't be inversed... WHY?

The swap function is there, spec map is based on black and white, we have opacity handling functions for color, why make a SPEC ONLY function ? Why not use what's already there and hide the "inner working" to the user (because the user doesn't care as long as it works !) ?

I'm serious spec handling is so "alien" and unpractical that every time I use 3dcoat to paint maps I always end up with my spec being painted 70% in photoshop because it's so much quicker there !

(And again: another thing in the v4 suggestion doc submitted a few months ago...)