3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

Updated to 3.5.02 [beta] (Win+Mac, Linux - soon)

changes:

- docked windows will not be lost when you are dropping new object in 3dc with drag&drop

Unfortunately docked windows still get lost in v.3.5.02 when drag and drop objects.

• Advanced Member

I seem to have lost all my materials.

I downloaded a new image from the web, uploaded it to the materials tab and used it in the paint room.

When I reopened 3DCoat there were no materials in the materials list. I've checked the materials directory, they are all there and the options.xml file is pointing at the correct place.

Going to give this another go with my home version.

Ricky.

Unfortunately docked windows still get lost in v.3.5.02 when drag and drop objects.

3.5.02+

Seems to work now, basically. Only the (pen)options window doesn't refresh and keeps empty after drag and drop import.

The options windows refreshes, as soon as you click on a different brush/pen.

• Advanced Member

I tried again 3.5.01 while deleting the Options.xml file as you proposed, but the file won't load. Anyway how could it be corrupted if it does load well in 3.5 when I roll back to that version. I'd rather think memory management has changed in version 3.5.01 and has not been tested with large files yet.

Back on 3.5.00 again until this gets fixed.

3.5.02 Working fine for me now, I can reload my old file without any problem. Export depth with clamping is working fine too, thanks for this upgrade Andrew.

Franck.

• Contributor

3.5.02+ ogl64 cuda

-Voxel model get "cutout effect" after activating shadows and rotating viewport, it happens in render room too.

-other symmetry related visual artifacts when incremental render is activated

SS-2010-10-11_21.25.26.jpg

If you deactivate shadows and switch to another material it goes back to normal. It also look like it's related to "depth" shaders for the most part.

-Hide but current tool is working very nicely but there's a hiccup: if you have put a hierarchy in voxel layers and hide-but-current a child object, the parent is hidden too resulting in the hiding of the child object.

Result: everything is hidden. :p:

The tool should somehow ignore hierarchy.

• Advanced Member
Yeah but the depth shaders are much MUCH better for sculpting with precision

I use them too, there are full shaders like depth only ons, you may change before rendering.

I'm not sure about precision though, they make things look more detailed than they really are.

• Contributor

I use them too, there are full shaders like depth only ons, you may change before rendering.

I'm not sure about precision though, they make things look more detailed than they really are.

Yeah but it's not bothering me for rendering, I'm using them for better visualization of volumes with shadow interaction in voxel room. As for detail, yes and no, they help to place brush strokes to move the right vertices, hence establishing proper planes and indents because the surface is not smoothed and mushy looking. For making things more detailed than they are, it's all about dust color. And I don't use that parameter in my custom sculpting depth shaders cause you're right it can make the mesh look "tight" when it's only blobby and not very well defined.

• Advanced Member

BTW has anybody tried to use the zbrush matcaps as shaders? I'm not sure if this is legal but as I own the two apps why not, I actually constructed this from rendering? Based on the jel-shader.

If I knew anything about how to even create new shaders etc I might have tried. :)

Its one of the things I just don't understand. How on earth do you create shaders for 3d coat. I always end up over writing the built in ones. Oh and while we are at it How do you get the render room to actually save a file? :D

Cheers

Mike R

• Contributor

BTW has anybody tried to use the zbrush matcaps as shaders? I'm not sure if this is legal but as I own the two apps why not, I actually constructed this from rendering? Based on the jel-shader.

Use MRGBgrabber tool from Projection master.

Its used to capture shader balls...it gets you the sphere and its perfectly cropped. :)

Also there is this great FREE app called MaCrea made by Taron

(originally created for Sculptris I think but you can use it to create shader balls for ANY apps.)

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=92157

Its very powerful.

Also there is this great FREE app called MaCrea made by Taron

(originally created for Sculptris I think but you can use it to create shader balls for ANY apps.)

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=92157

Its very powerful.

Interesting. I was just rendering a sphere with LightWave, cropped as closes as possible.

• Advanced Member
You have 30 minutes to get 3d-coat with discount..hurry up...

???

@artman, I think Mykyl is asking for help on 3DC. Well Mykyl, there are categories of shaders on this palette. Pick one and ask for new shader. For matcaps pick the jell-like pink one. This will normal-project the texture you'll choose. Pick another one rock-like texture. Here you have to choose a seamless texture you already created. There are bumps and spec parameters now etc etc.

• Advanced Member

???

@artman, I think Mykyl is asking for help on 3DC. Well Mykyl, there are categories of shaders on this palette. Pick one and ask for new shader. For matcaps pick the jell-like pink one. This will normal-project the texture you'll choose. Pick another one rock-like texture. Here you have to choose a seamless texture you already created. There are bumps and spec parameters now etc etc.

Ah that makes sense. I guess my mind is not in it at the moment.

Thank you

Mike

Up until now, I've always used the DX version of the software, thinking it was faster. I do remember Andrew saying that the nVidia guy told him to try the GL version and it might be faster.

Well, I have to say on my Sony laptop, (geoforce with CUDA), the GL version is a lot faster and smoother.

Ya learn somethin' new every day.

Greg Smith

• Reputable Contributor

I just wanted to throw this little tidbit out there...ATI, don't do it. I bought a new i7 laptop this summer that came with a discreet ATI 5730. After recently updating the drivers, I can't even get the Catalyst Control Center to open (I get an error message every time I boot up). Not only that, but I have all kinds of weird, unpredictable behavior in 3DC (cursor sticking, weird behavior with the Curves tool, FFD primitives often lock control point movement along one axis only, etc.). As soon as I get home to my desktop (with an NVidia 275 GTX), everything works fine...on the same file, 3DC version (except with CUDA), and OS (Win7).

I tried to re-install the latest....that didn't work. Tried un-install and re-install...no luck. Tried rolling the driver back...nothing. I had problems with the last ATI card I bought (it was a 4850). I couldn't even use Combustion, cause the ATI drivers made parts of the program inoperable. That was the whole reason I switched to NVidia. It seems in my experience in the last year or so, that ATI drivers just aren't up to snuff for CG applications, and comparitively, NVidia's are. The reason I brought this up here is that it's been common knowledge that ATI's OpenGL drivers are subpar. So, if you want to switch to GL with a recent ATI card, good luck with that. :)

When gaming, you may get more bang for your buck with an ATI card, however, when working with CG applications, I am convinced that they are more trouble than they are worth.

• Contributor

Up until now, I've always used the DX version of the software, thinking it was faster. I do remember Andrew saying that the nVidia guy told him to try the GL version and it might be faster.

Well, I have to say on my Sony laptop, (geoforce with CUDA), the GL version is a lot faster and smoother.

Ya learn somethin' new every day.

Greg Smith

Same here, Andrew told me to test gl version whe he released 3.5.02+ and GL version is indeed way faster, but buggier in the display area too :)

@Michalis: Very cool shader, kinda acrylic washes on paper feeling in certain angle. Very nice work, We should do a Material thread, I'm pretty sure cool things would pop rapidly :)

@abnranger: That's why you don't buy AMD/ati. For gamig only it may be good (my previous experiences weren't that great though) but if you do work with them, good luck ;)

nvtroll.jpg

Updated to 3.5.03 [beta] (Win only, mac+linux - soon):

- Loading for ppp, change map resolution, Apply UV, Fill tool are now multicore optimized and work much faster.

- New tool in voxels - clone. It acts like cut&clone but skips cutting.

- Hiding/showing all but this layer using ALT will work for everything that has eye icon - retopo, objects, materials, voxels, paint layer.

- I made ZB-like navigation preset just for big ZB fans.

- SHIFT-axis-snapping while navigation done

- I made reading of OBJ files a lot faster

- 3D-Coat will detect tablet pressure levels count automatically.

- experimental option for voxels export - export as dense quads. Possibly it will be helpful to bring raw meshes to ZB.

- Fixed problem of deleting sub-objects in paint room.

- Fixed possible hang in autoretopo tool.

- The issue http://bit.ly/cJ9QrC fixed.

- The issue http://bit.ly/9BLAD4 fixed