3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

Hi all,

I was just checking out the latest beta (mainly because of the direct applink export functionality) - however, I noticed a completely different behaviour of the Rapid-Tool. I tried to play around with spacing settings and falloff variations, but it is not as super smooth as it was in 3.5.01 - using the Rapid-Tool produces now rather dirty and blocky, rough results. Anybody else experiencing this on OSX build?

Overall, of course I have to say that at first sight the speed improvements are tremendous, well done.

Best regards,

Ron.

• Contributor

Are you sure it's nto a resolution and/or a scaling issue, your pic looks ok to me, it's just low resolution + black ambient shader.

Seems to me that way too,object looks like below 100k polys.

If its not the problem then I have absolutely no idea

• Advanced Member

retopo is fast again, thanks Andrew!

I re-uploaded 3.5.04B [win]. Changes:

- "Sharp shape" checkbox in extrude-based tools

- fixed known bugs of 3.5.04

- falloff stored per tool

- probably fixed retopo lag, but I am not sure, it was hard to reproduce

If all will be OK, I will upload Mac and Linux builds tomorrow.

I sent a couple of crash reports. But wanted to voice it here.

I've been importing a makehuman object that I cap off the holes on. Up until version 35.03, it worked fine. Any version with the new brushes crashes as soon as the brush passes over a section with inner geometry (such as the face with the inside of the mouth) in PPP.

I can paint fine as long as I don't pass the brush over, say the lips or ears, where there is such geometry. It was fine in earlier versions prior to the 35.04 set.

Thanks for a great product. With the development so far, I have doubt we'll see a solution soon.

Best, Shawn

I sent a couple of crash reports. But wanted to voice it here.

I've been importing a makehuman object that I cap off the holes on. Up until version 35.03, it worked fine. Any version with the new brushes crashes as soon as the brush passes over a section with inner geometry (such as the face with the inside of the mouth) in PPP.

I can paint fine as long as I don't pass the brush over, say the lips or ears, where there is such geometry. It was fine in earlier versions prior to the 35.04 set.

Thanks for a great product. With the development so far, I have doubt we'll see a solution soon.

Best, Shawn

There was problem with capped holes recently (which produces high order N-Gons) so I re-uploaded 3DC to solve this problem recently (now 3.5.04C)

Try it.

OK Andrew, still testing. I really don't know what you have done for the mac build but please. SAVE THIS.

Performance is tremendous now. It performs same or even better than zbrush. I sculpted this simple nonsense LOL, at 10 min. As I said performance is tremendous. So close to real sculpture. Thank you sir. :clapping::clapping::clapping:

super...time to give 3dcoat another chance, thanks Michalis for testing & Andrew for your hard work.

There was problem with capped holes recently (which produces high order N-Gons) so I re-uploaded 3DC to solve this problem recently (now 3.5.04C)

Try it.

Okay, opened it up quick and tried it. Still crashes when the brush goes over the inner geometry. ( I should note, I didn't cap the holes with 3DC. I did it manually in LW.)

I have no issue sending you the model if that would help (and I knew where to send it.) Other than removing the layers I wasn't using at the moment and capping off the holes, it is just the basic model that MakeHuman spits out.

Best, Shawn

Okay, opened it up quick and tried it. Still crashes when the brush goes over the inner geometry. ( I should note, I didn't cap the holes with 3DC. I did it manually in LW.)

I have no issue sending you the model if that would help (and I knew where to send it.) Other than removing the layers I wasn't using at the moment and capping off the holes, it is just the basic model that MakeHuman spits out.

Best, Shawn

You can send the model that causes the error directly to Andrew to: support AT 3d-coat DOT com

You can send the model that causes the error directly to Andrew to: support AT 3d-coat DOT com

As it turns out, if I re-import the model, it works fine. The .3b file that I was using from the original import from an older version still crashes. However, reimporting it handles the problem.

As it turns out, if I re-import the model, it works fine. The .3b file that I was using from the original import from an older version still crashes. However, reimporting it handles the problem.

Yes, problem was in importer, from this point of view it is understood. In geneal you may bake color from old model to new if there are many painting. Ir if you have almost same uv set - import textures.

Yes, problem was in importer, from this point of view it is understood. In geneal you may bake color from old model to new if there are many painting. Ir if you have almost same uv set - import textures.

Thanks. It is all good. Glad you found the cause and fixed it. I finished up that model in the old version and will use the new from now on.

• Advanced Member

selecting different brushes to use with draw with line, draw with curves, and stamp mode not working in build 3.5.04C

I re-installed 3.5.03 and it also has issues with brush selection. When I choose a brush the alpha is indicated with the cursor, but it uses a different alpha than the one selected or shown.

• Advanced Member

I noticed the holes while sculpting bug is now fixed which is good although i haven't installed the latest beta yet, still using beta b and need to update. I was just wondering though were the paint tools in voxel mode and surface mode distortion bugs ever fixed?

I posted with screens in this thread here -

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6634&view=findpost&p=52648

The paint mode bug was quite nasty because it seemed to brake many of the tools and brushes also. I think it happens randomly maybe after using the preset options because i remember using those and then realizing they don't work well in voxel mode as they are mainly designed for paint mode. This could maybe have been the cause because i enabled it to save all the data in the presets and it might make it think it's still paint mode although i deleted them later and it happened but it might have been stored somewhere.

I recently posted my thoughts on the preset system with suggestions here by the way -

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6722&view=findpost&p=52493

I don't like the current version much but that's mainly because i recently realized they only work well with paint mode and are not really designed for voxels. I know other users were requesting this recently so there might be plans already but out of my many GUI suggestions that is probably the biggest thing i think needs to be done at the moment.

I posted updated non - official Win build with new brushing for voxels and strips support there - http://bit.ly/d6fKpB

I plan to post it officially at the beginning of the next week with bugfixes from forum.

This build is only for big fans. I was not planning it but uploaded to solve some urgent problems that was reported me directly.

I updated links on the first page.

• Contributor

I posted updated non - official Win build with new brushing for voxels and strips support there - http://bit.ly/d6fKpB

I plan to post it officially at the beginning of the next week with bugfixes from forum.

This build is only for big fans. I was not planning it but uploaded to solve some urgent problems that was reported me directly.

I updated links on the first page.

Thanx! Will try to test brushes thoroughly this week :) .

• Contributor

Andrew, what can I say... IT'S SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICESPIACIALIDOCIOUS !

No really scrape tool is now useable (meaning it flattens without doting), the overal strokes are fluid, avoiding that dot effect that made them barely usable for precise work. Vox Clay is as fast as rapid brush now :)

I was using surface brush 80% of the time, now i think it will be 20% at most ahah.

If the cuda version is not completely optimized I can't wait for the optimized one. Hats to you sir !

Andrew, what can I say... IT'S SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICESPIACIALIDOCIOUS !

No really scrape tool is now useable (meaning it flattens without doting), the overal strokes are fluid, avoiding that dot effect that made them barely usable for precise work. Vox Clay is as fast as rapid brush now :)

I was using surface brush 80% of the time, now i think it will be 20% at most ahah.

If the cuda version is not completely optimized I can't wait for the optimized one. Hats to you sir !

[EDIT]

I can know say that precise sculpting is possible in 3dc without ressorting to zbrush. A few change in the brushes behaviour and zbrush is past.

128973449866.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

I just wonder if the Nvidia rep can get someone to help Andrew utilize CUDA for most if not all multi-threading tasks in 3DC...not just a few functions in Voxel Volume mode. Can you imagine how much faster painting and sculpting could be with 400+ processing cores chugging away with each stroke, if CUDA is running the multi-thread operations?

Well...I have been following the development of 3dcoat for the last year and what I can say.....Andrew you got it!!!!

Brushes in surface mode start to feel controllable, and with a very nice flow!!!!

But:

- I preffer few brushes, but working at perfection, than too many fancy brushes with strange way of work.

- Move brush is very nice, but it needs a dedicated fall-off, for work smoothly.

But I Think this year will be the 3dcoat year (finally...)

Thnx a lot from Spain!!