3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

• Advanced Member

Thanks Tser,but it changes nothing(after some time it appears the lag).

There is a way to disable the undo(or clear the undo state,or changing its depth) to see if I have right?

Anyway,the best thing for me for now is working for sometimes ad after saving and restarting the program,not optimal but it's not the end of the world.

EDIT:

In previous post I forgot to say that this time dependent lag is independent on brush size radius,it happens with really small radius(it's clear that I don't jump here and say "hey,my 100 pixels radius gives me poor performance,I'm speaking about 1/2/5 size radius".

Same problem here man. Had it for months. I thought for a while it had disapeared with the latest version that implements a faster brush, but that was just because I had to close 3dcoat several times for other reasons, when working with it for a while, the lag at the end of the stroke comes back again. It seems to be coming quicker when working on large objects though.

Just like you, I restart when it happens. Frustrating but at least there's this rather 'slow' workaround.

My guts feeling is it is related to the undo queue indeed.

Sorry Andrew, I thought this bug was behind us, but it is not apparently. No lag at all when starting a new session, but then it comes again after working for a while.

Franck.

• Advanced Member

Frankie I have found a work around for the sudden lag after you have been working in the retopo room for a while, this also works well with the lag you get when working in the Voxel room, go to the Voxel room and click >Voxels>Toggle proxy mode, then click the Toggle proxy mode again to get back, you will now be back to full speed, I have done this a few times in one long job without any problems to the sculpt.

I hope Andrew can sort this out.

T.

• Applink Developer

I think that about the lagging issue it's better to create new thread. I was trying to read all the posts that are talking about

but found it very difficult because it's scattered all over this thread. If someone who has this problem could create it and we

can more fully focus on the problem. Thanks.

• Advanced Member

"If someone who has this problem could create it and we can more fully focus on the problem."

I thought it was clear, if you do some modelling or retopoing for any length of time you hit a wall, all of a sudden you get an incredible lag after every stroke, you cannot work with it so you either have to restart 3DC or do as I described above.

T.

• Advanced Member
I just installed 3507 beta on mac osx. I don't get an application to start in the folder, something missing?

Maybe the app is missing? lol

OK, applications/.. its a new folder "3D-Coat-V3", probably the first on the column, app is inside the folder.

• Applink Developer

I thought it was clear, if you do some modelling or retopoing for any length of time you hit a wall, all of a sudden you get an incredible lag after every stroke, you cannot work with it so you either have to restart 3DC or do as I described above.

T.

Is that incredible lag, something like 1-2 seconds or more 5-10 seconds. And does that help if you just minimize 3d-coat windows and then open it again ( not closing it ) I had recently

a problem that the lag happened everytime after window status was "not responding". I'm not quite sure if this is something similar.

• Advanced Member

"Is that incredible lag, something like 1-2 seconds or more 5-10 seconds. And does that help if you just minimize 3d-coat windows and then open it again ( not closing it ) I had recently

a problem that the lag happened everytime after window status was "not responding". I'm not quite sure if this is something similar."

Its more like 10 seconds after each stroke and once this state has occurred there is no way to get 3DC to be fast again without either restarting 3DC or clicking the toggle proxy mode.

T.

• Advanced Member

Tser,you are my personal hero,the toggle proxy mode does the trick,the lagging disapperears after :)

Before I was trying " downgrade the visibile volume" and "clear all caches",with no luck.

Toggle proxy seems cleaning the memory for the volume,I need to do more testing but I'm working since 2 hours and the system seems working!

Thank you very much!

• Advanced Member

Frankie I have found a work around for the sudden lag after you have been working in the retopo room for a while, this also works well with the lag you get when working in the Voxel room, go to the Voxel room and click >Voxels>Toggle proxy mode, then click the Toggle proxy mode again to get back, you will now be back to full speed, I have done this a few times in one long job without any problems to the sculpt.

I hope Andrew can sort this out.

T.

Just tried and indeed, switching the piece to disk cache and back does remove the lag, thanks for the tip.

Maybe this could be an indication for andrew as to where to search for this problem.

Franck.

PS: just read the post above. For me going to disk cache had the same effect, good to know this works for you as well rendermon

• Advanced Member

Weird, what all these directories - 3dc versions? First time I see this.

Delete everything there, delete prefs also. Install again, but it seems you already did this.

For every mac user who's interesting Andrew updated the build again, some PPP issues have been fixed. I tested it, works fine.

Just an idea, since I've found myself in need of a similar feature recently, is a means of baking or projecting the UV set of one mesh to that of another for re-topology so that the UV sets match. Like the GATOR tool in XSI. (I know the surfaces can be baked to another UV set, but relatively matching UVs would make some things easier at times.)

Like I said, found myself looking for a tool for this (found xsi) and thought it would be nice to have in 3D Coat as it would make it more of a one stop shop for these kinds of operations.

• Advanced Member
hmm i get errors on some of my 16 bit tiffs on opening 3dc now. looks like its referencing into the 3dc folder instead of the external alpha folder

I was afraid that we could have issues with this new splitting of 3dc folder.

• Advanced Member

Very strange, 3dc now seems to forget the file that you are working on and when you save the file (ctrl+s) you have to specify the file and path again as if you have saved as. Also when this happens the name of the file you are working on on the title bar on the top of the application window also disappears and it just says 3DCoat.

T.

I believe Chris (who's running Mantis, thank you Chris!) intends to either eventually open Mantis up to anyone who wishes, or keep it the way it is now.

Another thought is, if you wish to be helping submit bugs using Mantis, you could send Chris (Taros) a PM here on the forum asking to add you as a Mantis reporter. :)