3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

• Applink Developer

Mantis is very good system. Maybe we could create own thread to talk about it. I would think that we really need one bug report places. Right now there is two. Mantis and

Support area in forum. Opening up mantis for everyone could be one solution. Just make sure that there is limited number of users who can assign bugs to Andrew.

Updated to 3.5.08 [beta] (Win only, OSX+Linux - very soon)

changes:

- Support of instancing (Look Instancer toll + new check box in Merge tool). It opens possibility to use one volume multiple times in scene without additional memory consumption. For example you may do several bricks and made building of them and scene will be still very light and only initial bricks will take memory. In so way you may manage really huge scenes if they can be decomposed into less count of basic elements. Scene in viewport will also be rendered faster because of much less video memory consumption. It is extremely helpful for architecture, hardsurface modeling, sometimes - for organic (scales, teeth).

- Arbitrary change resolution of voxel volume done. You may chnahge mesh resolution to any given number of polygons.

- All big numbers in all tools will be written in readable form - like 31 765 321 (compare with 31765321)

- Fixed bug - http://bit.ly/gdMy7t

- Smudge artifacts problem solved - http://bit.ly/hYAmn6

- fixed issue http://bit.ly/el7NLV

- fixed 3B-file merge related issue - http://bit.ly/eVUT57

uploaded

• Advanced Member

Great release, lots of little improvements that are not even in the list, like piece highlight on pickmat shaders, MSAA now working in voxels, selection now possible on hidden objects...

Very nice.

Keep up the very good work.

Franck.

Great release, lots of little improvements that are not even in the list, like piece highlight on pickmat shaders, MSAA now working in voxels, selection now possible on hidden objects...

Very nice.

Keep up the very good work.

Franck.

Please be careful with ivisible selection. It is my miss. With selection you will be able to modify them.

I will fix it today and re-upload (I will keep possibility to select invisibles)

• Contributor

Im currently running one previous 3.5.08 version and i cannot clone & degrade my sculpt? it simply clones it with no degrade. Im DL latest version to test, But Not sure you new it needed fixing.

Win7 64cuda

• Reputable Contributor

Anyone else having issues with 'toggle proxy mode' increasing the size of the voxel volume?

Yes...I got the very same thing. I deleted the options.xml file and re-installed. That seemed to stop it. Funny how that fixes a lot of would-be bugs. Not sure why that continues to occur.

I see a problem with the current version. I cached most of my voxel layers using 3.5.08 so I could work on my laptop, which was then using 3.5.08A. I saved that and brought the file back to my desktop. When I started uncaching the layers they came in at all different sizes.

• Reputable Contributor

I see a problem with the current version. I cached most of my voxel layers using 3.5.08 so I could work on my laptop, which was then using 3.5.08A. I saved that and brought the file back to my desktop. When I started uncaching the layers they came in at all different sizes.

It started doing it again with me as well. Doesn't always do it, but when it does...it's aggravating. Just glad I save often.

http://www.screencast.com/users/dnashj33/folders/Default/media/97d58b33-188b-413c-934c-95ed336ea25e

It started doing it again with me as well. Doesn't always do it, but when it does...it's aggravating. Just glad I save often.

http://www.screencast.com/users/dnashj33/folders/Default/media/97d58b33-188b-413c-934c-95ed336ea25e

It happens when you are changing Voxels->Proxy visualisation between caching and uncaching. Today I will fil it and re-upload.

• Advanced Member

I just want to stop by and thank you for your recent effort to make 3D-Coat more stable. I started recommending 3D-Coat to several friends and my company which adopted it, mostly only a subset of 3D-Coat is needed but all are very happy with the software. I love how 3D-Coat improves and gets more reliable and I'll continue to spread the word!

Many thanks to Andrew and the whole community! I'm sure this will be a great year for all of us. :drinks:

You know what would be great for instancing? If we had an "additive" instance mode, where the source object editings would propagate to the instanced ones, but they had their own "internal layer" of sculpting to change their shapes in unique ways. This way, for instance (pun intended), you would be able to have a base face sculpt, and several clones with facial expressions, ideal for morphing and such. Then If you added a wrinkle to the base face or changed its proportions, the "smile" and "frown" clones would take the same change.

Of course that would only make sense in a real world production pipeline if one could also propagate the base voxel retopology to all the instances and then export them separately - which does sound like quite a complex system for what originally seemed like a small suggestion :)

Anyways, the suggestion stands, hope it's helpful in some form or fashion.

Great work with this as usual Andrew, I wish you and the whole 3DCoat community/family a nice, prosperous and productive new year! :drinks:

Win+Mac builds re-uploaded (3.5.08B)

changes since 3.5.08:

- I fixed problem with proxy scaling. Additional advantage is possibility to transfrom object in proxy mode that will be applied to the object

- Fixed problem with big sphere drawing/primitive in non CUDA mode (especially important for Mac)

- Full support of selecting invisible objects. You may select and operate over them, but can't change them

- 3DC will respect negative volumes in Merge tool, instancing mode (fixed again)

- possibility to upload turnables to YouTube (as always,95% is done by webmaster in this area)

Linux build comes soon when this build will be approved as stable enough.

• Advanced Member

Oh thanks, this was fast! Please Andrew try not to forget to give different names, a simple letter in the end. I don't know what I downloaded sometimes. And I still believe that user/library/application support/ is the right place for 3dc additional folder. Happy and creative new year to you. your family and to all of us.

Oh thanks, this was fast! Please Andrew try not to forget to give different names, a simple letter in the end. I don't know what I downloaded sometimes. And I still believe that user/library/application support/ is the right place for 3dc additional folder. Happy and creative new year to you. your family and to all of us.

After instalation and running you will get 3.5.08B in 3DC's header.

additional folder may be relocated. There are instructions:

Other possibility (optional, just for convenience) is to separate 3D-Coat’s installed files and files that was

changed during the work so that you may place 3D-Coat installation files to protected or read-only location.

Install 3D-Coat to any location (even protected or user-dependent). After that you should create file

coat_data_path.txt in the same folder as executables or define environment variable COAT_FILES_PATH that

will point to the location of changed data files. Path should be ended with slash “/” . License file should be

placed in the same folder as all data files. In this case all changed files wil be written to new location but if

installation location is read only you will not be able to delete any folders or files (like initial brushes, materials,

strips, models) of initial installation inside 3D-Coat’s shell. If you will not create file coat_data_path.txt or

define variable COAT_FILES_PATH then 3D-Coat will use 3D-CoatV3 folder in User’s folder under any OS

@Andrew - Would it be possible to at least rename the file name of the new build, adding the corresponding letter to it? The way it has been since 3.07 makes it very hard to track if the last download you've got is actually the most recent one as well. With the file name renaming (to V35-08B for instance) this would really be way easier...

;)

PS low bandwidth & the fact that my workstation isn't on the internet might explain why I am so adamant about this