3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

Is it possible to add instances along a path or surface of another object? If not, I'll add a feature request in the appropriate forum...MG

I think you should be able to add instances on the surface with the Merge tool and the On Pen option. I haven't tried that but it should work. Could be handy for adding very details bolts or rivets maybe.

I just noticed that Cut & Clone also makes instances, maybe other tools as well. This is great but you have to be careful. When you check that instances box on the merge panel it stays checked for that tool and all others. SO if you use it to merge then later use Cut & Clone it will be already checked.

• Advanced Member
BTW how do we use instancing? Is it useful more for rendering in 3DC?

The right question.

1. I always PM to Andrew asking to think about more options in internal renderer. Could be used as an excellent tool for illustrations. (like zbrush)

2. Now we're talking about how to export this. Well, to have a conceptual fine sketch is always helpful. Just retopo the parent mesh and redo similarly in your favorite app. What else?

3. Some great help for mac users as they have a 32 bit app only in hand. So some cases found a possible solution for me.

• Reputable Contributor

Just downloaded the latest and still have the scale issue. I will send you, Andrew, a sample file.

+1...I'm still getting the same thing as well. It doesn't do it all the time...just randomly. It's critical enough that I have to re-install 3.5.07, as it effectively shuts down both caching and multi-res capability (or risk losing your work)

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the updated version Andrew.

I'm having major problems trying to export a very simple voxel sculpt (which has been retopo'd) using Merge to MV (PPP). Will give it a go in the new version and see if it works.

Cheers,

Ricky.

• Advanced Member

thank you for the update, instances are fun. It makes Warp and Axial way more powerful! Would it be difficult to implement for axial and warp tool a step size and step rotation control? This way each step is for example 90% size of previous instance. Hexagon has something similar and i love it.

Hi!

Some notes about 3.5.08C CUDA DX64 version on Windows7 64bit / Geforce 470 / 260.66 drivers:

Voxels:

- Resample. Default settings, make density 0.8 (or something else does not matter)

- Then undo, then redo

- Dimensions of voxel volume is decreased, i.e. it gets smaller in the scene

- This happens in inverse manner when you increase the detail, redo makes voxel volume bigger

Viewport / panel docking issue:

- Float shaders panel (or any other I think)

- Try to dock next to panels on right edge

- Panel docks, put strange buggy strip is introduced, shows a part of viewport and button

- Maximize 3D coat window (this fixes it, but doesn't prevent it), shaders panel docks back to right edge as a tab (next to brushes)

- This worked OK in 3.5 for me. Happens with 260.99 and 258 driver versions in 3.5.06 and 3.5.08

• Advanced Member

Please explain, I tested it, but have not found problems there.

Hi Andrew,

I think I've found the problem...

Here is what I'm trying to do:

1. Voxel sculpt (simple sculpt)

2. Into Retopo room. Create retopo mesh.

3. Still inside Retopo room, mark seams for uv and unwrap

4. Save

5. Go to Retopo menu and select Merge with NM

6. Bake local occlusion on, rays at 20.00000

7. If I select anything other than the default from the subdivide menu, it crashes 3DC

However, after further testing, I found that if I subdivided whilst in the Retopo room, before using the Merge with NM command, then I have no issues.

Further notes... I have nothing in the paint or sculpt room when trying this procedure.

Regards,

Ricky.

Hi!

Some notes about 3.5.08C CUDA DX64 version on Windows7 64bit / Geforce 470 / 260.66 drivers:

Voxels:

- Resample. Default settings, make density 0.8 (or something else does not matter)

- Then undo, then redo

- Dimensions of voxel volume is decreased, i.e. it gets smaller in the scene

- This happens in inverse manner when you increase the detail, redo makes voxel volume bigger

ok, fixed it.

Hi Andrew,

I think I've found the problem...

Here is what I'm trying to do:

1. Voxel sculpt (simple sculpt)

2. Into Retopo room. Create retopo mesh.

3. Still inside Retopo room, mark seams for uv and unwrap

4. Save

5. Go to Retopo menu and select Merge with NM

6. Bake local occlusion on, rays at 20.00000

7. If I select anything other than the default from the subdivide menu, it crashes 3DC

However, after further testing, I found that if I subdivided whilst in the Retopo room, before using the Merge with NM command, then I have no issues.

Further notes... I have nothing in the paint or sculpt room when trying this procedure.

Regards,

Ricky.

Thanks, that bug was really important to be fixed.

Squashed it. I like reproducable bugs :)

• Advanced Member

Thanks, that bug was really important to be fixed.Squashed it. I like reproducable bugs :)

No problem Andrew.

I always look at any problems in detail before declaring them a bug. Thank you so much for fixing it so quickly. I will test it when the new version is ready.

So, am I right in thinking that using the 'subdivide' menu from the Merge with NM command will only subdivide the texture for the paint room and not the retopo'd mesh (which is what I had to do before as a work around)?

Cheers,

Ricky.

No problem Andrew.

I always look at any problems in detail before declaring them a bug. Thank you so much for fixing it so quickly. I will test it when the new version is ready.

So, am I right in thinking that using the 'subdivide' menu from the Merge with NM command will only subdivide the texture for the paint room and not the retopo'd mesh (which is what I had to do before as a work around)?

Cheers,

Ricky.

It will subdivide mesh too, but you will be able to export non-subdivided mesh too from export dialog.

• Advanced Member

It will subdivide mesh too, but you will be able to export non-subdivided mesh too from export dialog.

Thanks again Andrew. I have to say, just for the uv unmapping 3DC is amazing. Now that I'm getting the hang of voxels and retopo I know I will end up using it more for model creation than other packages.

Regards,

Ricky.

• Reputable Contributor

Updated to 3.5.08C (Win+Mac)

changes since 3.5.08B:

- proxy problem finally solved

- voxtree problem reported by Phil fixed

- instancung works with Axial and Wrap tools

- highlight problem fixed for OSX

Linux - I hope today, probably a bit later.

Thanks for working hard on this, but I am still having the cached object arbitrarily scale...I'm usually in volume mode when I cache it (3.5.08C). It seems like the camera zooms in on it's own when caching, but it's actually 3DC scaling the object. It happens randomly. As soon as I try to capture in on video, it plays nice for a bit.

• Reputable Contributor

Hi Andrew,

Is there any plan to upgrade from CUDA 3.0 to the latest CUDA 3.2? This could enable 3D-Coat to be used on all available cores instead of just 2/3 of the cores used by CUDA 3.0/3.1.

cheers

Andrew said after he updated the brush engine for volume mode, that CUDA was working but wasn't optimized. He has since stated that he would try to get around to optimizing/updating CUDA usage there. I have been anxiously waiting for this as well. I have been doing half of my sculpting on the proxy of a layer, but it would be nice to not have to switch to that so frequently...if CUDA could make more of tangible difference in Volume sculpting.

For one thing, it takes a little waiting period each time you switch to proxy and back, whereas in Mudbox you can step up and down your subD levels instantly.

Updated to 3.5.09 beta (Win+Mac, Linux - very soon)

changes:

- Wrap tool essentialy updated - look several examples - http://bit.ly/fRHtIv http://bit.ly/hOgkon http://bit.ly/gY92cM

- I made much much better preview of cube-mapped material in paint room. It will be easy to place cube-mapped material over the model. Bugs related to loosing control panel in cube mapping mode fixed too.

- Fixed problem in retopo strokes tool that happened because of instancing introduction.

- possibility to upload turnables to YouTube (as always,95% is done by webmaster in this area)

- Fixed crash while baking subdivided mesh from retopo room - http://bit.ly/ha2nKx

- Resample + undo/redo bug fixed - http://bit.ly/h3S6Hl

- 2D snapping ploblem fixed - http://bit.ly/gvcVBt

- I corrected painting strips in voxel room, it was too messy.

- Fixed problem with big sphere drawing/primitive in non CUDA mode (especially important for Mac)

- Full support of selecting invisible objects. You may select and operate over them, but can't change them.

- I fixed problem with proxy scaling. Additional advantage is possibility to transfrom object in proxy mode that will be applied to the object

- 3DC will respect negative volumes in Merge tool, instancing mode

• Contributor

Little offtopic :).

Congratulate me, i successfully upgraded 8GB of RAM on my oldish P5B, and everything is ok in bios. To be honest, i was a little worried, because there almost no information in google about installing large amounts of memory on such old motherboard, but Andrew advised that everything would be fine and everything is fine.

It remains to change the operating system, and rock :)

With 8gb of memory and new Instancing i think thats unlimit power :) Instansing really is very, very high potential.

Thanks again to Andrew that he did all this, despite my sometimes erratic behavior.

Happy New Year! :)

• Advanced Member

Not sure if this is a bug.

Im setting up my HotKeys in 3.5.9.. Everything seems to work fine but VOXTREE..

I set my Hotkey to V

When I press V, Voxtree comes up under the mouse but does not disappear after I move the mouse off of it. Anyone know a way around this?

Thanks,

IC

• Reputable Contributor

Not sure if this is a bug.

Im setting up my HotKeys in 3.5.9.. Everything seems to work fine but VOXTREE..

I set my Hotkey to V

When I press V, Voxtree comes up under the mouse but does not disappear after I move the mouse off of it. Anyone know a way around this?

Thanks,

IC

No, I don't think it's a bug. Hotkeys for pallets/popups are designed to be temporary in nature. If you want them the remain static, then you will have to access them from the Windows>Popups menu. You can save different layouts and workspaces from the windows menu as well.