3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

• Reputable Contributor

AbnRanger, I have exactly the same problem as you with the scaling, I am on Linux and this has been happening for the last few releases, its not random for me, it always happens.

T.

Yeah...I'm going to have to install an older version until this gets fixed. I think 3.5.07 was the last good one. This bug practically makes caching and Multi-Res unusable. Still hoping CUDA gets optimized for volume mode so we don't need to use Multi-Res as often.

Yeah...I'm going to have to install an older version until this gets fixed. I think 3.5.07 was the last good one. This bug practically makes caching and Multi-Res unusable. Still hoping CUDA gets optimized for volume mode so we don't need to use Multi-Res as often.

Is it possible to send me the object to make experiments and try to reproduce this problem?

Are changing Voxels->Proxy visuaisation during the work?

• Reputable Contributor

Is it possible to send me the object to make experiments and try to reproduce this problem?

Are changing Voxels->Proxy visuaisation during the work?

I sent you the model I was working on...I also noticed a memory leak (or problem with 3DC climbing in RAM usage, but as soon as you save>exit>start 3DC again and open the same scene, it's MUCH lower) that has been reported by Phil. I have noticed major differences at times, but when I try to get it on video it may not be as dramatic. I am not sure if this is a bug, or 3DC's memory dumping procedure not being optimized. Try to see if you can spot it when you run tests in the future (with Windows Task Manager open). Like the scaling, it doesn't occur all the time....just randomly.

• Reputable Contributor

The issue of the new current beta version creating new unwanted polygons (ones I did not create) on top of the existing polygons along the symmetry lines after you apply symmetry cripples the beta version quite a bit. What gave it away was, I noticed the black polygon lines looking broken up somewhat along the symmetry line. Upon closer inpsection, I found that new polygons had been created causing that effect. Now it's is too much of a headache to fix the symmetry line every time you apply symmetry or almost every time. I never had this problem in prior versions, no matter how many times I applied symmetry in the retopo room. It is only a beta version so I have back up versions to use.

Bug report has been submitted.

Linux 64 bit version non-cuda 3.09A

• Advanced Member

Are changing Vixels->Proxy visuaisation during the work?

Just open a new scene, choose a voxel sphere, click Voxels>Toggle proxy mode

The sphere will expand to 4x if the setting in the Voxels>Proxy Visualization is set to "Reduce 4x"

T.

Just open a new scene, choose a voxel sphere, click Voxels>Toggle proxy mode

The sphere will expand to 4x if the setting in the Voxels>Proxy Visualization is set to "Reduce 4x"

I see this too, but only through the menu, not if you click the toggle icon in the Vox Tree.

• Advanced Member

'Fixed problem of incorrect scale when usung Voxels->Toggle proxy. It probably was the reason of all problems with proxy scale.'

(From Andrews twitter page)

Good news! Not that I was experiencing the problem. But definitely good for those who were.

Cheers,

Gavin

'Fixed problem of incorrect scale when usung Voxels->Toggle proxy. It probably was the reason of all problems with proxy scale.'

(From Andrews twitter page)

Good news! Not that I was experiencing the problem. But definitely good for those who were.

Cheers,

Gavin

I updated Win build to 3.5.9B, so please check if proxy problem is still there.

All changes from Twitter included there.

• Advanced Member

Being a mac user, I had some problems with retopo functionality, as Andrew suggested I deleted the options.xml file is located in MacHD/Users/[nameOfUser]/3D-CoatV3/options.xml. It seems it works fine now. It was the first time it happened on a mac build though.

just downloaded 3.5.9 again.. but the filename says 3.5.9C so I'm guessing there have been another updated after 3.5.9b?

• Advanced Member

I believe Andrew said at one point that he's constantly updating that link, even in between number announcements.

Then how do we know if the download link file is newer than the one we already have without downloading again?

T.

• Advanced Member

The new version seems great so far after testing :)

I noticed there is a new bugs system and read the blog post but i am just wondering about this. Does this mean that older forum posted bugs will now be less important?

Will these still be on the to-do list -

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6259

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6722

Also are people posting things from the forum? By this i mean is there some forum regulars that will read the topics and note any good suggestions etc they find to make sure they are listed.

Updated to 3.5.10 [beta] - Win+Mac, Linux - soon

Changes:

- I made support of COPY-PASTE in UV tool - http://bit.ly/e1hFqU . It is useful to perform UV mapping over repeatable or symmetric details.

- Fixed problem of incorrect scale when usung Voxels->Toggle proxy. It was the reason of all problems with proxy scale.

- 3D-Coat will paint with cavity detection a lot faster.

- I made that subdivide individual faces in retopo room will not destroy UV-coordinates - http://bit.ly/gk8Ey5

- I fixed problem of deleting face while collapsing edge with RMB - http://bit.ly/evJiwy

- Splines export problem fixed - http://bit.ly/hiQuKO

- I made ALT+eye click to work correctly with instances.

- bug fixed - http://bit.ly/edFmCe

- Compatibility with OBJ files from Rhino improved (ending slashes supported, if line is long Rhino places \ and continues on the next line).

- I updated OBJ files support. Now you wil be able to import color, specular, normal, displacement during OBJ import. There is document that describes changes - http://bit.ly/gUUi45

• Advanced Member

Splines export problem fixed - http://bit.ly/hiQuKO

This means... I strongly recommend, to construct Low poly versions of splines and after exporting you can import directly to topo room as topo cage. ;)

Here a 1 min test, exported to zbrush, auto UVs there , finished. :drinks:

Oh Thank you Andrew. This was a gift. :clapping:

• Advanced Member

I'll make it more clear. Here's a fast 2 min PPP.

And the Low poly version of the chain. Copy this to splines.

Use the hi def spline, after applying to voxels select the low def chain and export from curves palette. Import it under retopo menu as cage, no need to snap it.

• Advanced Member

More tests on curves workflow and here the problems.

Still the same problems of MV baking.

MV works with portraits mostly. The hip-thighs problem (its funny I call it this way) exists. Snapping doesn't work as it should. Artifacts in these areas due subdivision.

There're three modes for snapping, the default creates these artifacts (you can use smooth tool in sculpt room after and fix this in some cases, here in chain isn't practical at all, just spoiling hard surfaces)

The other two methods of snapping could work better, these are too slow though. In new mac build, 3DCoat crashed again and again. I'll report it as a bug.

I could use a much higher density in voxels room of course, here at 1M, 16M could work.

Andrew, ... still waiting for the 64bit mac build.

• Reputable Contributor

I've already reported this issue, but maybe others can chime in if they have been experiencing a similar problem. That is 3DC appears to have a bad memory leak lately. I've noticed RAM usage climb up to 1GB or so just making some routine brush strokes...and it holds onto the RAM. If you happen to have a hefty object and try to resample or degrade it, to bring the memory usage down, nothing changes. It still hogs the RAM no matter what you do....until you save > Exit 3DC > Open 3DC > Open saved file. You'd be surprised how many GB's it was hanging on to. Just now, I saw about 3-4GB's that 3D Coat just refused to give up, until I exited 3DC.

Anyone else?

I've already reported this issue, but maybe others can chime in if they have been experiencing a similar problem. That is 3DC appears to have a bad memory leak lately. I've noticed RAM usage climb up to 1GB or so just making some routine brush strokes...and it holds onto the RAM. If you happen to have a hefty object and try to resample or degrade it, to bring the memory usage down, nothing changes. It still hogs the RAM no matter what you do....until you save > Exit 3DC > Open 3DC > Open saved file. You'd be surprised how many GB's it was hanging on to. Just now, I saw about 3-4GB's that 3D Coat just refused to give up, until I exited 3DC.

Anyone else?

I will discover this soon deeper.

Anyone else?

I've noticed a slow down too, but haven't measured the memory usage. Someone posted a tip that seems to help: Toggle the voxel proxy mode. Once back to the full voxel model, it seems to speed up again. I hope this can help in tracking down the issue.

• Advanced Member

I will discover this soon deeper.

I suggest adding a button which is visible in all rooms which when clicked, it does what the "Toggle proxy mode" does, that is, refreshes and frees up resources, call it "Refresh".

T.

• Advanced Member

I'm running 3.5.10 DX64 on Win7-64.

I purchased the 3D-Coat UV mapping for Lightwave users from http://learn3dsoftware.com/.

Their video uses an older version of 3D-Coat from October that doesn't warn when the same UV map is used by different layers, and it crashes 3D-Coat when 'update Islands' is pressed (which he shows in the video).

As the latest version warns about this, I went into Lightwave and setup a UV map for each eyeball, as both eyeballs shared a single UV map.

When I opened my modified file, I didn't get the same warning as before about the UVs, but I did get a crash when I clicked on Update Islands.

I tried to report this thru the new bug reporting system, but the captcha system doesn't seem to be working (which I reported in the thread on the new bug reporting system).

Am I out of luck using multiple layers from a Lightwave lwo object with their own UVs in 3D-Coat?

Hello.

When I use the flatten brush in PPP, wire frame appears every where.

Although I can not reproduce the problem, sometimes dark artifacts appear too.

My 3D-coat version is win 3.5.10 cuda GL64.

I think this topic below is related.

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7236

Also, when I paint depth with paint brush in PPP, artifacts appear.

I think mesh triangle is showing up.

Another problem is the seam around UV borders.

Blur brush also dose not handle the UV borders properly.

The sphere in the image is imported from maya.

Thank you.

post-3555-12955298743861_thumb.jpg

post-3555-12955298869163_thumb.jpg

post-3555-12955298955167_thumb.jpg

post-3555-12955299041618_thumb.jpg