3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

1. -Possibility to bake Matcap,Picmat shaders... ??? How to do that?

2. How can I convert the model into voxel when imported without voxelizing?

Shaders are automatically baked when you merge to the painting room.

To convert to voxels just click the little "squiggly line" icon on the Vox Tree layer. Same as switching between voxel and surface modes.

2011-01-29_1354.png

• Advanced Member

You don't want to bake matcaps now, do you? These are normal projection textures, sometimes an interesting trick but you get dark areas in most cases. Picmats work fine though and bumps are translating to normal maps. Cool.

• Reputable Contributor

Edit: I found without voxelizing does work but not with merge as skin selected. I edited my post.

Linux version 64 bit non cuda. 3.5.11

The merge without actual voxelization is not working if merge as skin is selected when you import an obj file. It merges into voxel mode and not surface mode.

To test, select the default creature and merge without voxelizing with merge as skin selected and you will see that you are merged into voxel mode..

• Advanced Member

Its not working on the mac!

It works but when clicking retopo its gone, how can I bake this?

The first time it almost worked, then merge tool remembers last operations even I trashed options xml (from user and from applications folder.

I also found the new build slower and ventilation on my mac at full. Back to the previous version then.

Half an hour has past and ventilation of nvidia still at full. I have to reboot OS to stop this.

All tests made with the 'creature.obj' and other samples.

• Reputable Contributor

Its not working on the mac!

It works but when clicking retopo its gone, how can I bake this?

The first time it almost worked, then merge tool remembers last operations even I trashed options xml (from user and from applications folder.

I also found the new build slower and ventilation on my mac at full. Back to the previous version then.

Half an hour has past and ventilation of nvidia still at full. I have to reboot OS to stop this.

All tests made with the 'creature.obj' and other samples.

I edited my other post, If merge as skin is selected plus without voxelizing is selected your model is merged into voxel mode otherwise it does work on the linux version. I found a workaround for your problem till it's fix.

The workaround:

After you merge the obj model without voxelizing into surface mode, then create a new empty voxel layer. Go back to the surface mode layer and then click on the retopo room tab. Your surface mode object will not disappear. You can hide the voxel layer layer but if you delete it your surface mode object will disappear in the retopo room. Andrew will fix this soon I would imagine.

To convert to voxels just click the little "squiggly line" icon on the Vox Tree layer. Same as switching between voxel and surface modes.

2011-01-29_1354.png

I find this function a bit confusing for a beginner, you´ve got some surface tools in normal mode, but more with this button pressed.

It would be nice to allow this button to be hotkeyed and/or all the tools available in normal mode as well.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the update, Andrew. :good:

Good to see you back around these parts.

Thanks,

It has been a while. I am just finding that I never stop working at the moment.

I got married in December and my first child arrives in May so I have also been really busy with all of the preparations.

Plus I need to earn shed loads of dosh now that my wife will be on maternity leave for a while. :)

• Reputable Contributor

Congrats. I hope to be there some day, right now it's just in my imagination.

You could always just merge one into the Voxel Room and...oh, wait...wrong program :blink:

:p:

I find this function a bit confusing for a beginner, you´ve got some surface tools in normal mode, but more with this button pressed.

It would be nice to allow this button to be hotkeyed and/or all the tools available in normal mode as well.

Yeah, a Surface Mode hotkey and also the ability to assign hotkeys to the different brush modes in the E-Panel. Those are high-repetition commands that REALLY need hotkeys set up for them.

• Advanced Member

sure, its straight forward to reproduce. Pls excuse if it wasnt clear:

• New Scene
  • make a cube from primitives
  • now switch to merge tool, select a random tool
  • press "on pen"
  • now hoover the mouse over all 3 sides of the cube.
  • voila: it will only work correctly on 2 sides of the cube

• Advanced Member

Yes, really. Already fixed. Just as compensation I made your longstanding request - images previews in image picker droplist.

Fantastic news Andrew.

Another small request while we're discussing the image picker, would you mind adding in a button to 'clear' out the image list. Would save a bit of time instead of going to xml file and deleting the lines manually then restarting 3DC.

Thanks a million :)