3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

• Advanced Member

Andrew, I've crashed multiple times using 3.5.14 using DX and GL (windows) jumping back to 3d-coat from photoshop while using the edit all layers feature. I did not have that happen with 3.5.13

I'll see if projection painting gives me the same problems.

w/Cuda 64bit fyi

• Advanced Member

If I increase the cavity radius up to 20 (the highest it will go), then it is much better and smooth, but it becomes much slower to work with, is there any way of creating a filter, like a gaussian blur on the result of the lower cavity radius to smooth (blur) out the rough result. This would speed things up and give acceptable results for cavities.

T.

• Reputable Contributor

I don't understand this problem. Initial object placement in retopo room depends on how model in voxel room was produced. Now centering is made in so way that if you merged model in voxels and then import it in retopo room then they will be in same place. I never seen that it is not working.

So please describe what is wrong.

Andrew, I did both the voxel model and retopo way back in version 3.2 -3.3, and never changed the scale, rotation, or position, yet a number of the the retopo meshes are importing in off center and rotated on a different axis. To make matters worse the transform gizmo is not centered on the mesh, it is way off the object in most cases.

• Advanced Member

Andrew, Strips is a great way to place an alpha on a brush so you can fade the edges of the brush, but strips keeps alternating its alpha, what I am trying to say is that if you;

1 Use a Brush with a pattern which fills the brush square.

2 In Brush options, select use spacing and at 100%.

3 In Stripes, load a new brush strip image and select the one in /textures/Masks/Rounds/Round_S20.tga

4 Select it and paint on your object.

As you can see it paints first the proper Brush dab, but the next one it is painted inverted, its as if the alpha of the strip was inverted.

T.

Win version updated to 3.5.14B mainly to provide correct 64 bit bugreports.

List of changes:

- correct and useful 64-bit bugreports (will help me a lot to improve stability, send me all crash reports please)

- cleaner brushing with build/extrude/airbrush in CUDA mode

- correct (but a bit slow) FBX export.

• Reputable Contributor

Win version updated to 3.5.14B mainly to provide correct 64 bit bugreports.

List of changes:

- correct and useful 64-bit bugreports (will help me a lot to improve stability, send me all crash reports please)

- cleaner brushing with build/extrude/airbrush in CUDA mode

- correct (but a bit slow) FBX export.

Thanks for the update, Andrew. I hope this help this help's isolate some of the random crashes.

• Reputable Contributor

You may test if new bugreports work on "non-programmer" pc using "crashy" combination CTRL-ALT-CHIFT-6

Andrew, this latest build will not let me use my 3DConnexion device (SpacePilot). I opened 3ds Max and the SpacePilot worked fine with it. I uninstalled 3.5.14B and re-installed 3.5.14A, and the SpacePilot worked like normal (there is still a long-standing problem with 3DC not allowing combo hotkeys to work on 3DConnexion devices....that means no UNDO, SAVE, etc).

Just to double-check....I re-installed 3.5.14B and once again, the SpacePilot would not work...so it has something to do with the build.

Andrew, this latest build will not let me use my 3DConnexion device (SpacePilot). I opened 3ds Max and the SpacePilot worked fine with it. I uninstalled 3.5.14B and re-installed 3.5.14A, and the SpacePilot worked like normal (there is still a long-standing problem with 3DC not allowing combo hotkeys to work on 3DConnexion devices....that means no UNDO, SAVE, etc).

Uh, oh, really. I will turn on and re-upload very soon.

• Contributor

Just to double-check....I re-installed 3.5.14B and once again, the SpacePilot would not work...so it has something to do with the build.

Confirmed.

I tested the ctrl+shift+alt+6: it indeed gives a much more detailed bug report...

• Reputable Contributor

Re-uploaded to solve space navigator issue.

Thanks for the fast response, Andrew. :good: Is there any chance of allowing combo hotkeys to work with the devices? It has been reported on Mantis, and 3D Coat is the only application that prevents a user from mapping combo keys to work between them. Such as CRTL + Z (UNDO), CTRL + S (SAVE), SHIFT A (FIT IN VIEW)

I've had a handful of crashes since installing this last build...even after deleting the Options.xml file. I had a few crashes with 3.5.14A as well, this morning....but 3.5.14B is crashing every other time I open a file. There is no way I'm going to get any work done today at this rate. I don't even know what build to roll back to.

• Advanced Member

OSX 3-5-14 does not launch at all on our Mac Mini. Nvidia graphics, Core2duo CPU, OSX 10.6

I get a grey screen then it just disappears.

Note that 3-5-05 works fine.

Is there anywhere to get older Beta versions? Like 3-5-13 for OSX?

Cheers,

Peter B

• Advanced Member

I see your point. 3DC is trying to center the mesh. This is wrong, not just bug. I'm wondering though, what is happening and some old "bugs" are coming back in every new build.

@pbowmar

mac mini has shared graphics, am I right?

OSX 3-5-14 does not launch at all on our Mac Mini. Nvidia graphics, Core2duo CPU, OSX 10.6

I get a grey screen then it just disappears.

Note that 3-5-05 works fine.

Is there anywhere to get older Beta versions? Like 3-5-13 for OSX?

Cheers,

Peter B

Hi Peter!

Generally a lot of the older builds are still on the server. But I notice that Linux builds and some of the OSX builds are not kept for long. I'm not sure why.

For example the latest build of linux is:

http://www.3d-coat.c...V3-5-14A.tar.gz

But you can also go as far back as:

http://www.3d-coat.c...-V3-5-05.tar.gz

However the builds between the latter two are nowhere to be found.

For OSX I do see some of the older builds are still on the server, including:

http://pilgway.com/f...-CoatV35-13.dmg

A tip: Copy the URL and just change the build number to get previous builds. I've found this to be invaluable when sometimes the off chance a beta build isn't up to snuff, and I have deleted the installer for previous builds.

• Applink Developer

I have to say that a short test with the latest 3d-coat really makes me smile. All the hard work Andrew has done with bugs and memory issue really shines. Program looks more stable

than ever before.. :)

• Advanced Member

Just had a crash in version 3.5.14C CUDA GL64 (not latest drivers)

win 7 x64

Crashed while merging a layer (multiply) onto another one in ppp. 1k map.

The thing is, the new bug report window didn't pop up, only Windows standard message to close the application.

Franck.

EDIT: ok the merge layer definitely crashes systematically on this version. Same with DX version. Still no bug report window.

EDIT2: rolled back to 3.5.13A and no crash here. So there's definitely a problem with the latest version.

• Advanced Member

The thing is, the new bug report window didn't pop up, only Windows standard message to close the application.

Same here on the same OS. Since .14 I don't get the error-report any more.

On my 32 Bit box it is the same - but here I additionally get informed that my Browser doesn't know how to deal with that

sort of protocol - seems to be an Error in the Web-Link.

Just had a crash in version 3.5.14C CUDA GL64 (not latest drivers)

win 7 x64

Crashed while merging a layer (multiply) onto another one in ppp. 1k map.

Franck.

EDIT: ok the merge layer definitely crashes systematically on this version. Same with DX version. Still no bug report window.

EDIT2: rolled back to 3.5.13A and no crash here. So there's definitely a problem with the latest version.

Reproduced and fixed. Thanks. I will re-upload asap.

It happened because of optimisation of ppp pointers usage (that was reason of lags after a while).

Win version updated to 3.5.14D mainly to fix crash reported by Frankie. Other cahges (since 14B):

- If you will import mesh in retopo room gizmo will be well centered, gizmo properties will be shown too for numerical input if need.

- I made clone function in Retopo->Select [faces] to clone parts of mesh.

- You will be able to transform whole retopo mesh or it's selected part with new transform tool in retopo room.

• Reputable Contributor

Win version updated to 3.5.14D mainly to fix crash reported by Frankie. Other cahges (since 14B):

- If you will import mesh in retopo room gizmo will be well centered, gizmo properties will be shown too for numerical input if need.

- I made clone function in Retopo->Select [faces] to clone parts of mesh.

- You will be able to transform whole retopo mesh or it's selected part with new transform tool in retopo room.

Thanks Andrew, that will help in a bunch of ways in the Retopo Room. I'm sure anyone who uses Instances in Voxels will be really glad to see that. :good:

• Advanced Member

So I will ask again in case my last post was somehow invisible. ;) Have I missed something regarding Mac builds? Is it now a pc version completed first then when the bugs have been ironed out then a mac build is done?

As you can never tell from a forum post exactly what my demeanor is I will state I am happy and in no way grumpy. :D Just wanted to know if I missed a message as windows and linux version have been updated but no mac version.

Cheers

Mike R

• Advanced Member

I think sometimes there are specific platform dependent issues that don;t require updates to all operating systems. The Mac version may not necessarily be behind, it just didn't need updating at that point.

Not to say one Mac version is perfect and doesn't need updating, just that I would think Andrew would deal with each operating system's issues then move on to the next.

This is just my guess, though...

Bob

• Advanced Member

Thinking about it you are probably right.

I just remembered recently there being talk of beta versions and what to do with them.

I have no idea where that went so had wondered if missed something.

Cheers

Mike R