3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

Of course you should be using an nVidia graphics card that supports Cuda (any from the last 4 years or so). The Cuda smoothing should make things faster, it's best when you crank the smoothing power over 100% though, try it at 400% and see what happens.

Ok, so I'm having a major problem. Paint doesn't seem to work right on this mesh, it paints some of the backfaces but that's about it. Any ideas?

Screenshot? Any more details? Is it a mesh you imported or a mesh from Retopo? Did it have a UV map or auto-UV? This really should be posted in the support area.

• Contributor

I would like to thank Andrew for making such huge progress over bug fixing, we currently have 126 "bug reports" filed, removing the feature request from those, we currently have 78 real bugs reported.

That's very impressive in a (potentially) multi million lines code program like 3dcoat.

So for that dedication Andrew: THANK YOU and keep up the good work !

I would like to thank Andrew for making such huge progress over bug fixing, we currently have 126 "bug reports" filed, removing the feature request from those, we currently have 78 real bugs reported.

That's very impressive in a (potentially) multi million lines code program like 3dcoat.

So for that dedication Andrew: THANK YOU and keep up the good work !

Thank you! Sometimes I really need some encouragement...

• Like 1

• Contributor

"Thank you! Sometimes I really need some encouragement.."

I was going to say something cheeky like, "the wheel that squeaks gets the grease", but I thought better of it. Reflecting on the fact that you have created something marvelous out of nothing that will be used for years by countless people ('countless' allowing for piracy) must serve as an ongoing fountain of personal satisfaction.

PS I will also continue my encouragement with my wallet. :drinks:

• Advanced Member

Hey Andrew,

I know the users here can get pretty demanding at times. Myself included...I have to say though, this software is great and a joy to use.

With the new brush changes you've made recently I've been making huge strides in sculpting. Keep up the great work...I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say I'm really excited about the direction of this application.

God bless brother,

Gavin

I attached the mesh to my post, seems it didn't attach? Imported a base mesh, auto-uv. Posted it here because people actually read this thread. Trying to attach again. I am not allowed to upload the file...

Screenshot? Any more details? Is it a mesh you imported or a mesh from Retopo? Did it have a UV map or auto-UV? This really should be posted in the support area.

• Reputable Contributor

I attached the mesh to my post, seems it didn't attach? Imported a base mesh, auto-uv. Posted it here because people actually read this thread. Trying to attach again. I am not allowed to upload the file...

You can zip the file and try it, or just send it to Andrew directly (support@3d-coat.com)

• Advanced Member

3d Coat is the only program that blender should be jealous of. And in my book that is saying a LOT. :brush:

Usually I see a new program come out and I think, "hmm, why do I need that I have blender" Lately, though I see a new program and I think, "hmmm, I don't need that I have 3dCoat!" 8)

• Advanced Member

I don't know about qt (but I like the way maya handles custom panels and whatnot though)... But if I have one thing to say about interface changes it's about that kind of "error":

130234300458.jpg

As much as I like 3dcoat (AND I DO LIKE IT A LOT), this is a major flaw... half of those options should be visible in a top bar menu. Many new users don't think about right clicking on volumes to get that menu, and are missing TONS of functionality in the process.

Look at that menu ! It's gigantic ! For isntance the clone with ... could be a single dialog with multiple option, reducing the menu size. That could be applied to a lot of other entries too.

So one word Imho: streamline ! :clapping:

Quick mockup of what I mean:

clone.jpg

density.jpg

couldn't agree more. this menu was a surprise when I found it. I wish I could assign hotkeys to things like extrude etc.

hear hear andrew. you're doing a great job. keep it up.

looks like the slow framerate perf problems are back in version 17A.

is there a way to roll back to version 17?

I always keep the last versions installer just in case, but if you need it you should be able to download it still, just use the current link and change the file name in it to the one you want.

• Advanced Member

I wanted to thank Andrew for the latest version 3.5.17A, brushes and voxel have been greatly improved :good::brush: !! you can really appreciate the fine work on the voxel!

I wanted to encourage that! bravo!! :clapping:

++Chris

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the updates Andrew, 3DC is getting better each time i test it :D

- I found why using huge brush radius leads to massive slowdown (almost hang). It is fixed and resulted with sculpting speed increase.

In the past i have wanted to use a large radius brush for tasks like increasing a larger area quickly but this would make the program freeze so i usually avoid doing it. For this new update i haven't noticed much of a change in speed however and i don't get a freeze but it still seems to get very slow in voxel mode with a brush that is using a large radius.

I do have a fairly old computer though -

Windows XP 32 bit, Intel Pentium D, 2.8GHZ, 3GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT (Has Cuda)

Even with this though most things seem quite fast with 3DC until i start using larger resolutions or do certain things such as sculpting with a large radius brush or merge many layers together etc.

• Applink Developer

Ahah, interesting. Cltrl+z as always been linked to voxtree (I don't know why, it shouldn't imo), but that's something new, I imagine someone working with that bug and losing memory hours after hours without understanding why ;)

Yeah. Looks really interesting. But have to say that total number for assigned bugs in mantis system is down to 31. Really great job Andrew!

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah. Looks really interesting. But have to say that total number for assigned bugs in mantis system is down to 31. Really great job Andrew!

Still getting a LOT of artifacting, including pits from using the new "improved" SMOOTH tool in Surface Mode, and sometimes having the area outside the brush radius affected (almost like overspray, or the radius is not properly reflecting). I've quit using Mantis (as it's been rather fruitless in my experience)...so don't assume less reports = more stable.

Are we in feature addition mode or maintenance? If feature mode, here's my vote for bringing the Transform tool in the Retopo Room up to speed. Currently it's like having to resort back to the days of the Commodore 64....very crude in it's implementation and effectiveness. It has a ton of potential, but only being able to select once and Transform once leaves the tool very much undone. You can't select more items and transform them. You HAVE to drop the tool (ESC key), select your next group, then select the tool again. Imagine having to model in Maya, Max, Softimage, Lightwave, etc....that way. Transform operations now are harsh, with no flex in the movements due to a lack of soft/gradient selection options.

Also an option to have the transform tool gizmo operate in Local orientation is an absolute must, in my opinion. This tool is/can be immensely helpful in working on rounded areas such as fingers, toes, pointed objects, etc., or to import primitives to start the Retopo process (such as a sphere or Cube for the Head). It just needs the same basic functionality (Transform Tool) present in all other modeling applications. Retopology by definition IS a Modeling process, and therefore should have at least the same fundamental tools they have. It's applying topology on the back end instead of front end, but with a reference object to snap to.

• Applink Developer

I've quit using Mantis (as it's been rather fruitless in my experience)...so don't assume less reports = more stable.

Sad to hear that. I think because of you and your UV reports in mantis, we have much more stable uv room. Thank you for that.

Still getting a LOT of artifacting, including pits from using the new "improved" SMOOTH tool in Surface Mode, and sometimes having the area outside the brush radius affected (almost like overspray, or the radius is not properly reflecting). I've quit using Mantis (as it's been rather fruitless in my experience)...so don't assume less reports = more stable.

Recent times I am using Mantis to fix 80% of bugs. Other 20% is from direct reprts to support or my Skype.

So it is very effective in terms of reproduction of bug and reporting of my work. But it is better to report one issue per item in Mantis.

Regarding voxel surface artifacts. I have question to all participants there. Please show what artifacts are you getting. Is it random or repeatable? Does smoothing artifacts still happen?

Are we in feature addition mode or maintenance? If feature mode, here's my vote for bringing the Transform tool in the Retopo Room up to speed. Currently it's like having to resort back to the days of the Commodore 64....very crude in it's implementation and effectiveness. It has a ton of potential, but only being able to select once and Transform once leaves the tool very much undone. You can't select more items and transform them. You HAVE to drop the tool (ESC key), select your next group, then select the tool again. Imagine having to model in Maya, Max, Softimage, Lightwave, etc....that way. Transform operations now are harsh, with no flex in the movements due to a lack of soft/gradient selection options.

I speciually disabled selection in transform mode to avoid confusion - you are trying to move but selection occurs. I can make it more accurate and tisable selection only when you reallly captured some control.

Also an option to have the transform tool gizmo operate in Local orientation is an absolute must, in my opinion. This tool is/can be immensely helpful in working on rounded areas such as fingers, toes, pointed objects, etc., or to import primitives to start the Retopo process (such as a sphere or Cube for the Head). It just needs the same basic functionality (Transform Tool) present in all other modeling applications. Retopology by definition IS a Modeling process, and therefore should have at least the same fundamental tools they have. It's applying topology on the back end instead of front end, but with a reference object to snap to.

The main problem is what is local space in retopo room? I have no good idea about it.

• Applink Developer

Hi Andrew!

As much I like new buildup tool but there is some odd behaviour. When pressing long time the surface starts to tilt to angle.

Here is a video about it. If there is possible to smooth this out somehow that would be great.

Smoothing brush is perfect I think :)