3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

• Contributor

To Andrew and Raul.

It seems slowdown with brush happens on areas when some mesh parts get trapped under the surface.

here is my test file if you want to see if slowdown occur too.

(just a sphere test)Its very light ,only 150000 polys.

test.zip

At one point also the mesh completely disappeared,but closing 3Dcoat and reloading the file made it come back.

Here is an example of how mesh gets trapped when changing many angles while brushing.

post-1195-0-15660000-1306000533_thumb.jp

Thanks Artman and everyone :)

Yes, I have found that surface penetration bug and I will research about it.

As a good news, I have sended today to Andrew the code that will allow us to break the performance barrier for very small strokes and take full advantage of subcells :)

and more comming :)!

• Advanced Member

What artman says, what I'm saying... the behavior of sculpting tools is the most important. I'm reading Andrew's statement about how slooow sculptris is. But what a great behavior of tools!!! 5-6 tools with even a better behavior than zbrush ones. Well, the power of pixologic, behavior of tools, great real time performance, close to artists needs. I wish, devs can understand this. They have to sculpt first, to share their humble creations first.... As we all do.

• Contributor

To Andrew and Raul.

It seems slowdown with brush happens on areas when some mesh parts get trapped under the surface.

here is my test file if you want to see if slowdown occur too.

(just a sphere test)Its very light ,only 150000 polys.

test.zip

At one point also the mesh completely disappeared,but closing 3Dcoat and reloading the file made it come back.

Here is an example of how mesh gets trapped when changing many angles while brushing.

post-1195-0-15660000-1306000533_thumb.jp

Ultimately this issue will not clear itself when the simplification modifier is integrated ? This happens in sculptris alpha 5 you simplify and it's good again. No ?

[Edit] Sorry I forgot about the crash, THAT is a problem though :)

I can't wait to see the simplification modifier (not another brush please, a modifier behaviour like ctrl or alt or whatever fits your needs :>)

• Advanced Member

Been waiting for this live clay stuff since I first started using voxels in 3dc. It'll really help realize their potential for sculpting. However, in order to zoom in and add more detail on the fly I really think it's time to address the horribly twitchy zoom controls in the 3dc viewport. Zooming has always been difficult to do with precision, and continues to frustrate me, and will probably do so even more as I try to use 3dc to do higher resolution sculpting. Please fix this, as it has been a major factor in why I don't do a lot of refined sculpting in 3dc.

Been waiting for this live clay stuff since I first started using voxels in 3dc. It'll really help realize their potential for sculpting. However, in order to zoom in and add more detail on the fly I really think it's time to address the horribly twitchy zoom controls in the 3dc viewport. Zooming has always been difficult to do with precision, and continues to frustrate me, and will probably do so even more as I try to use 3dc to do higher resolution sculpting. Please fix this, as it has been a major factor in why I don't do a lot of refined sculpting in 3dc.

I agree. Zooming is often difficult the closer you are. What would be great is to just have a lesser degree of zooming the closer the camera is to the pick point.

This issue became very apparent when PTEX was implemented, the same as it has with LiveClay.

I've just turned the Camera Zoom Speed in Preferences down to 0.36 and I'm pretty happy with it. I do agree that it would be better to change the zoom intensity based on distance to pick point.

• Advanced Member

Adjusting the Camera Zoom Speed did the trick for me, thanks for the hint.

I have a related idea in mind which floats in my brain for a while. Do you guys think it's also a good idea to have the option to make the brush size based on distance? That's a thing i really loved in Sculptris. You could zoom out and work on the shape and zoom in to work on details. That may also be a blast for people who want to use the mouse wheel for zooming, if that gets implemented.

• Applink Developer

I agree. And have a feeling that this will be improved in near future.

auto-retopology, masking area of high density isn't working in 3.5.20?

Save Option_Hotkeys.XML, Options_Navigation.XML, etc..

Delete 3D-Coat preferences DIR

Re-install 3D-Coat.

Masking area of high density should work now.

• Advanced Member

Also the texture along spline tool in ppp mode doesnt work(paints only the selected color) and when i add a color and depth in material palette it just picks only the color again.

Oh thats in 3.5.20

• Advanced Member

I've just turned the Camera Zoom Speed in Preferences down to 0.36 and I'm pretty happy with it. I do agree that it would be better to change the zoom intensity based on distance to pick point.

Zoom Speed adjustment does nothing, nor has it since I first tried it, regardless of which settings I use. Nothing I would consider useful when detail sculpting anyway. It's still just as jittery and inaccurate as the default speed when working up close, which is all that matters to me.

• Advanced Member

Save Option_Hotkeys.XML, Options_Navigation.XML, etc..

Delete 3D-Coat preferences DIR

Re-install 3D-Coat.

Masking area of high density should work now.

OK, I save hotkeys, and navigations,etc. But where is the 3D-Coat preference directory?

Adjusting the Camera Zoom Speed did the trick for me, thanks for the hint.

I have a related idea in mind which floats in my brain for a while. Do you guys think it's also a good idea to have the option to make the brush size based on distance? That's a thing i really loved in Sculptris. You could zoom out and work on the shape and zoom in to work on details. That may also be a blast for people who want to use the mouse wheel for zooming, if that gets implemented.

Do you mean you want the brush to stay the same size, relative to the screen? If so, it is already possible by using the lock icon next the to "radius" setting on the top bar.

• Reputable Contributor

Do you mean you want the brush to stay the same size, relative to the screen? If so, it is already possible by using the lock icon next the to "radius" setting on the top bar.

A problem I keep having is the disparity of brush radius' between the UV preview window and the regular viewport. If you are using a medium sized brush in the UV editor, and then reach over to the viewport, it bogs things down because the brush radius is larger than the screen. It needs to be relative. I would like the brush size to remain the same in the UI no matter what you're working in. If I have it small in the Texture or UV editor, I want it to be equally small in the viewport...until I change it myself.

• Advanced Member
it bogs things down because the brush radius is larger than the screen. It needs to be relative I would like the brush size to remain the same size in the UI no matter what you're working in.

Is it the first time you noticed this? No, of course not. It's a rather annoying issue. +1

I'll add the conflict with wacom and UV brush mode editing. I learned to avoid using wacom on this. Mouse works fine. From a mac builds user of course. 32 or 64 bit versions.

A problem I keep having is the disparity of brush radius' between the UV preview window and the regular viewport. If you are using a medium sized brush in the UV editor, and then reach over to the viewport, it bogs things down because the brush radius is larger than the screen. It needs to be relative I would like the brush size to remain the same size in the UI no matter what you're working in. If I have it small in the Texture or UV editor, I want it to be equally small in the viewport...until I change it myself.

I've never noticed things getting slower, but it is annoying to keep changing the brush size every time you go from 3D to 2D and vice-versa.

• Reputable Contributor

I've never noticed things getting slower, but it is annoying to keep changing the brush size every time you go from 3D to 2D and vice-versa.

There is a bit of a delay, even on a fast system, when the cursor is larger the viewport (you don't even see it and thus don't realize it's scaled up so large). To me, this falls into the category of a bug, but is probably just oversight. It needs to be fixed, though.

• Advanced Member

I have a question. Now that the beta for OSX 64bit is out - is this the right thread to get the newest osx 64bit releases?

Thanks

Hold the phone. What 64bit mac version? Did I miss something here? Who, what, when, where???

• Contributor

Andrew: You should DEFINITELY make all the surface brushes behave like liveclay in terms of clean strokes, I'm talking about that tweet. This changes a lot of thing really, you can make changes like that anytime, this really make the experience MUCH better !

I'm currently using liveclay as my all brush stop only changing presets like focal shift+ alphas

With that change you can start to define pretty well your design even at very low density since you don't see faces stretching only smoothed polys. It means you don't have to fight against the marching cube topology to define shapes, you just concentrate on the shape.

[EDIT] I know it's pretty much only cosmetical changes but I can't emphasis enough the importance of that change, it almost feel like brushing in zbrush (best feeling in sculpting software imo). Before I would press enter to merge surface changes to voxel to have a better topology every 30sec, now I can work minutes without feeling like I need to.