3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

• Advanced Member

O.K. I'm confused. I just installed 3.5.23 for WinXP 64 version with CUDA but I can't seem to find Live Clay. I'm in Voxels, I switch to surface mode and I don't see an option for Live Clay. Is there a special version for Live Clay or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for all help in advance.

P. Monk

O.K. I'm confused. I just installed 3.5.23 for WinXP 64 version with CUDA but I can't seem to find Live Clay. I'm in Voxels, I switch to surface mode and I don't see an option for Live Clay. Is there a special version for Live Clay or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for all help in advance.

P. Monk

Just check Edit->Preferences->Use beta tools

Reduce seems to work very ell, though I have some problems with Live Clay and Undo. If I use Live Clay to increase detail, then undo, some chunks of it remain behind, they almost looks like separaete objects.

2011-07-30_1634.png

• Reputable Contributor

Here 3DCoat freezes/crashes repeatably when I try to use LiveClay with the Pen in Stamp-Mode.

Anyone else seing that?

I have been getting random crashes or lockups with the Stamp tool at times. It's cool to use, but it has a nasty streak.

• Advanced Member

I'm having the same issue. I can't see LiveClay in the left panel either.

For me its Edit->Preferences->Showbeta tools ,switch to Surface mode then you should see Liveclay.

• Advanced Member

I hope the new OSX build won't crash the whole MACOSX.

This time I tried to export the tri mesh from liveclay mode. Is this possible? If it isn't then it isn't either a reason to f**** the system, memory etc.

3DC is the only app that is doing this, I never had this issue, years now.

For me its Edit->Preferences->Showbeta tools ,switch to Surface mode then you should see Liveclay.

I've tried all of that but still no LiveClay. I'm not sure what's going on.

To export a tri mesh directly under vox palette, is it possible for you Phil? When in liveclay - surface mode? Before converting to voxels, I mean.

Yes it works fine, I just tried with a little test sphere. It asked if I wanted to decimate it further and I set that to 0 (no decimation). So it's about 423,000 polys. here it is in LightWave

2011-07-31_1658.png

BTW A thought that I'm having is that, especially now with LiveClay, it might be important to try to make a wireframe view similar to the above image that you can turn on and leave that way without needing to hold a key down. Even with holding the W key down it can be very difficult to see what's happening with dense meshes when you can see all the way through.

• Advanced Member

I'm another who can't find "Liveclay." I've turned "Showbetatools" on in preferences. Could someone take a moment to post a capture of a portion of their screen where it shows in the menu? Maybe I don't understand what "go into surface mode" means? Is it clicking on one of the surface tools from the voxel menu? From the videos I've watched, that seems to be where liveclay is located.

I've tried both dx and gl, plus a reboot.

• Advanced Member

post-1430-0-91596000-1312156455_thumb.pnThe cube is a toggle for Surface Mode. In Surface Mode, it is replaced by a tilda.

Yes, thanks. Unless you're pretty familiar with 3DC, that seems "well hidden." I had just found it in the manual by searching on "surface mode."

• Reputable Contributor

I assume the reason you don't see it in Volume mode is that it's not operable there, yet...even though the tool button was there. Perhaps Andrew removed it until Subcells are introduced in voxels. That's the development I've been waiting on.

• Advanced Member
BTW A thought that I'm having is that, especially now with LiveClay, it might be important to try to make a wireframe view similar to the above image that you can turn on and leave that way without needing to hold a key down.

W always on? Like pressing w in sculptris. In really heavy meshes this will kill graphics though. But W on-off sounds reasonable. Especially when remeshing-decimating.

• Like 1

W always on? Like pressing w in sculptris. In really heavy meshes this will kill graphics though. But W on-off sounds reasonable. Especially when remeshing-decimating.

I don't mean having it always on, I mean a toggle switch or check box that you press once and it stays on until you press it again. Although I don't see how the wires would impact the display, it doesn't change anything in LightWave as far as I've ever seen.

Mac and Linux postponed at least to tomorrow, there are some problems that should be fixed. Win version will be updated too, there are some problems too - undo in LC and crash on voxel simplification in some cases. Fixing it now. If you see something critical to fix until tomorrow, drop it there.

• Advanced Member

Is anyone having problems with brushes in regular voxel mode? The airbrush and the extrude brushes are giving me really strange behaviours. I can't sculpt on the forward facing surfaces, but can on the very furthest away surfaces that start to turn away from the viewport. I tried deleting options.xml in the hopes that it was just something screwed up on my end, but it didn't help.

On windows 64 w/cuda

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Is anyone having problems with brushes in regular voxel mode? The airbrush and the extrude brushes are giving me really strange behaviours. I can't sculpt on the forward facing surfaces, but can on the very furthest away surfaces that start to turn away from the viewport. I tried deleting options.xml in the hopes that it was just something screwed up on my end, but it didn't help.

On windows 64 w/cuda

Same OS with latest 3.5.23

Airbrush is acting like the inversion of "Fade on Edge".... like instead of less effect at the edge, it's less effect away from the edge, and only effect at the edge :(

So Yes, same problem here

Win 7 x64, 3D-Coat w/CUDA 3.5.23