3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

Super build! Thank you Andrew, Raul & Sergyi for your hard work! I'm really enjoying LC, these new brushes are fantastic. Not to mention all of the bug fixes. Thanks guys.

• Advanced Member
You mean it is not working at all or you mean that it is not as good as Sculptris?

Thanks for responding Andrew. The mac build works fast and it's stable. LC works as in Phil's video. Terrible stretching that can't be fixed. Too many edges on vertices, this is dangerous.

Reading all these wows here... I can't understand. These tools are practically useless. Yes Andrew, performance of sculptris makes it a useful tool. Miles ahead, sorry to say this, but it's true.

The new build, exporting decimated meshes under voxels palette: improved somehow but I still get non manifolds. I have to smooth two three times for not having them. It's a random issue. In general it works after 3-4 tries with slightly different decimation factor.

In any case I loaded 20-30 M voxels and performance was excellent again. A nice build.

Thanks for responding Andrew. The mac build works fast and it's stable. LC works as in Phil's video. Terrible stretching that can't be fixed. Too many edges on vertices, this is dangerous.

Reading all these wows here... I can't understand. These tools are practically useless. Yes Andrew, performance of sculptris makes it a useful tool. Miles ahead, sorry to say this, but it's true.

What terrible stretching that can't be fixed? I haven't seen any of that in my tests.

• Advanced Member
What terrible stretching that can't be fixed? I haven't seen any of that in my tests.

Joking now, right?

Here a capture from the app you don't like. Same tool. Watch how smooth remeshing works... and some insist that Sc is slow. Ha, notice how many calculations may be here.

ScRemeshing.jpg

post-2454-0-51635100-1314546128_thumb.jp

Those are all easily fixable with a few strokes from the Smooth tool and/or Reduce tool.

I did the same thing here, no stretching.

post-466-0-25539600-1314546850_thumb.jpg

I have noticed a couple of spots where SnakeClay tears a hole in the mesh. Actually it looks more like one triangle poly is missing.

post-466-0-81364400-1314547488_thumb.png

Hi all :)

So summarizing.. what are the reported bugs/suggestions?

1- rename (can be easily done)

2- some stretching in tube and snake tool?

3- invert behavior? (I don't see an actual invert behavior for Snake, in that sense is not a symmetrical tool, Tube invert works fine, Wrinkle? I can think something of because the current invert behavior is not the intended ;) )

please, feel free to explain me the issues.

Cheers

Farsthary

Oh, I saw the first hole here .... I will see what that happens.... thanks ;)

I think it may happen with bigger brushes and relative low detail subdivision and/or fast move, because faces may fall outside the influence radius before they have time to get correctly subdivided... I will need to impose some restrictions and improve this situation ;)

The speed of stroking has a great influence in the output quality of snake, slower stroke gives smoother results while too fast you get easily stretching problems... this may happen because of the way it is handle that event currently .... a current workaround may be to use a slow/moderate speed and avoid too fast stroking. definitely I need to work on that.

• Advanced Member

Hi Raul,

may I bring up something new (but LC-related)?

It's good that Liveclay now works with Stamp-Mode - but it doesn't work nicely as no refinement takes place.

My suggestion would be: The longer one holds LMB in place after the final size was set by draging the more the LC-resolution refines.

For Stamp-Mode with movable brush I would suggest: The longer one keeps the Brush in its initial position before starting to move the Pen

the more refined the Resolution.

• Contributor

1- rename (can be easily done)

2- some stretching in tube and snake tool?

3- invert behavior? (I don't see an actual invert behavior for Snake, in that sense is not a symmetrical tool, Tube invert works fine, Wrinkle? I can think something of because the current invert behavior is not the intended ;) )

Cheers

Farsthary

These are just my experiences and opinions they,by no means,summarize what others may have come across as issues.

Comment on WrinckleClay:

-I dont see relation between WrinkleClay and Sculptris Crease brush.

Crease brush does nice pinched extrusion/indent,it dig in/out the mesh

and is optimised to work well with Lazy option(soft stroke/interpolate/Lazy mouse/Steady stroke...whatever we call it).

Wrinkleclay does a very little extrusin/indent effect.

Its a good pinch brush but personnaly,as a sculptor I wasnt able to do any wrinkles with it.

Missing :

-Invert tool action checbox...holding Ctrl a long time is a strain so checkbox is necessary.

Lowpoly problem:

-On my side,it seems brushs works very well now except when using very lowpoly mesh.

See image:

post-1195-0-97857200-1314554789_thumb.jp

It does not happens on my higher res tests....again,its just me here.

Feature requests:

(some not related to Dynamic Tessaltion but maybe you can help...like you did with radial symmetry):

-a Flatten/Polish brush (a brush that smooth and average/flatten surface at the same time).

It must have strength/depth slider and work well with small radius in narrow places that have a lot of different normal directions.

It must be able to average very well inside brush radius in narrow complicated surfces.

Try Polish D brush in Zbrush demo if you can.

It does not have to involve dynamic tesselation

-A Crease brush.

Not like WrinkleClay...I mean try Sculptris Crease brush and copy the effect.I mean literally copy it.

it has to gives same effect with same radius and brush movement on mesh.

Or try Dam Standard id Zbrush as Beatkitano suggested its more or less the same principle.

A soft pinch mixed a sharp extrusin/intrusion that is compatible with alphas and works well with 3DCoat "interpolate <_< "(formerly known as soft stroke..)

We use that all the time for skin wrinkles,clothes armor damage(slashes in metal ect...)

- a "distance" setting added to interpolate...we need to be able to make more precise,longer strokes.Interpolate right now feels like a big wiggly lasso,even with high values

Thanx

• Advanced Member

At least you noticed stretching problem phil.

Now after some testing: Behavior of LC tools is much more stable on dense meshes (starting on a 4M voxel as base)

It took me some time to figure out what the three parameters of the tool means. Not quite logical, the smoothing value I mean.

But I tried hard to increase density in some areas. This can be achieved using very small brushes.

@ farsthary

what is missing is the opposite of a reducer tool. It's a remesher, right? It could be nicely combined with smoothing.

What you tried in sculptris isn't the way we work there. You used the grab tool, you should increase tessellation full and avoid to make it with a single stroke. After this, use the reducer (remesher) + and -

See? it's this remesher the key. We could just increase density in some areas and perfectly work with the surface tools. We don't always need dynamic tessellation.

In fact you could provide just a remesher, nothing else. Joking a little but it's the most important.

Another important is the ability to directly import an obj to surface mode, can we do this or I missed something?

Exporting directly from Surf mode, after LC operations is perfect. From voxels, not always (non manifolds in many cases)

The main build is OK, well done. :clapping:

sorry artman, posting the same time

• Contributor

Another important is the ability to directly import an obj to surface mode, can we do this or I missed something?

Exporting directly from Surf mode, after LC operations is perfect. From voxels, not always (non manifolds in many cases)

Check "import without voxelizing" in merge tool. Point will maybe be reordered on export tough,so you cant load them back as a subdlevel in mudbox/zb(Im not sure),but Uvs will be lost if they are any that Im sure.

BTW Dynamic Tessalation always produce uneven topology,you have noticed by now.

It seems you are expecting good topology out of it. :)

@Michalis

I see your point, to get a remesher effect, simply use LiveClay brush without deform, just set the deform curve to cero and you will get the remesh effect, on the other hand a global subdivision command can be easily added for surface mode, in early alphas it was implemented already....

@Artman

I may have some good news upcomming for you, the flatten smooth may be similar to a new TangentSmooth tool that will be soon included, it does quite good from clean topology, to no shrinkage smoothing/relaxation up to full shrinkage relaxation/flattening ;)

And about a full Crease, yes, I can work on this too ;)

Some of the improvements for the Copy tool aren't working for me.

Specifically, shader and color do not copy from the background layers at all.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Any chance this ability is dependent on newish NVidia drivers?

I've also seen some oddness with the "copy surface only" option.

The background layer (a cube) was rotated and scaled (in world rather local space, so more precisely, skewed)

and the copy result had strange black areas and ridges. Sorry didn't get a screen cap of this.

I suspect 3DC is having a hard time determining the normal of the transformed bg layer and that's causing trouble.

And finally, at the risk of seeming greedy, a feature request. It'd be nice if we could ghost bg layers.

It would make seeing what your working on, particularly with Copy, easier.

Sadly shader opacity doesn't seem to function between layers or we could use that as a workaround

-Jeff

• Advanced Member
he means with 0% depth, I use it like that all the time.

Oh, it doesn't work on the mac build. 0 means 10%. I was curious about this, the first I tried.

In any case this function should be in ctrl+reducer tool. It belongs logically there.

artman, thanks, I forgot this. Unfortunately when importing, it badly moved symmetry. Where did this came from? Sometimes sculptris is the case.

• Advanced Member

Cheers

Farsthary

I have a suggestion concerning the new snakeclay tool. The brush starts out perpendicular to the surface it starts the stroke on, but then never changes. It would be better if it could adjust it's

orientation to maintain perpendicularity to the direction of the stroke.

The way it works now, if you try to pull a snake out and turn a corner, the snake flattens out because the brush doesn't turn with it.

Thanks,

Tom

• Advanced Member

I have a suggestion concerning the new snakeclay tool. The brush starts out perpendicular to the surface it starts the stroke on, but then never changes. It would be better if it could adjust it's

orientation to maintain perpendicularity to the direction of the stroke.

The way it works now, if you try to pull a snake out and turn a corner, the snake flattens out because the brush doesn't turn with it.

Thanks,

Tom

+1. I'm expecting that feature to be added in a near future build. As it's natural.

Hi guys,

thank you for the support here, but don't forget our official bug reporting system. If you have isolated a bug, post it there please. It helps the development a lot(!) to orgnise all problems.

We don't expect you post all your issues there, but post reproducable bugs into the system. This applies to LiveClay bugs too.

-> Visit the bug reporting system.

Best wishes and thank you very much!

Chris