3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

it would be real nice to have a hot menu like in ZB where we get our own choice of whats in it. Sliders, settings, tools etc.

That's something I've been pushing for since SIGGRAPH last year, it hasn't made it in yet, unfortunately. If more people ask for the same thing, the more likely Andrew is to implement it.

So who's in favour of a customizable panel wherein the user can place just about any brush, tool, function, slider and so on?

That's something I've been pushing for since SIGGRAPH last year, it hasn't made it in yet, unfortunately. If more people ask for the same thing, the more likely Andrew is to implement it.

So who's in favour of a customizable panel wherein the user can place just about any brush, tool, function, slider and so on?

I am definitively in favor. That would be very useful.

• Advanced Member

Customizable menu is a great idea. :good:

I can see it definately speeding up workflow.

Move tool looks awesome too- can't wait to get my hands on it.

• Advanced Member

@Farsthary:Really cool the move tool ! I always start from a sphere,and this really help.

About the surface mode,maybe I'm missing something but I don't find a way to hide polygons(in surface mode), it could be really helpful,it seems not possible for now.

I understand that it's planned to use surface mode(and LC)more as a switch,going from/to voxels mode(or at the end of the work),but IMO it could be better to be able to hide polygons in surface mode also(at least until the LC mode it's not finished)

From me to really stress and use LC there is a need now to be able to stay in surface mode from start to the end of the work.

• Advanced Member
@Farsthary: Move is awesome, we can now start sketching in a very speedy manner Thank you.

+1

I liked the non too stretched results in the video. And the music of course.

I still can't understand how voxels and LC co-exist now. What kind of cocktail could be this. Like vodka and rum :drinks:

• Reputable Contributor

+1

I liked the non too stretched results in the video. And the music of course.

I still can't understand how voxels and LC co-exist now. What kind of cocktail could be this. Like vodka and rum :drinks:

Until Voxels get their equivalent (Raul said it's next on their "To Do" list), LiveClay only makes sense in a finishing stage, in my opinion. But I will definitely use the Inflate tool on a regular basis, regardless if I lose a little detail going back to voxels.

• Advanced Member

I've definitely been taking advantage of live clay for detailing after voxels. The last 2 full characters, and 3 heads I added to firefall were sculpted entirely in 3d coat with liveclay used to sculpt details I would normally have done in zbrush. 3dcoat is edging its way towards being more than just a blockout tool for sculpting.

Win & Linux & Mac updated to 3.5.25C

Just for convenience there is full list of changes

- LC updated. All tools are still in very beta stage. Some of them may be removed or essentially changed later.

- I made possibility to paint over materials and masks directly in 3D-Coat -http://bit.ly/oY8ojw

- I made realtime preview for Sketch tool. You will see summary volume immediately while painting. It works without any lag or slowdown. It is still not fully optimized, so painting over the really big images may be slow. It will be resolved very soon.

- I made smarter edge picking algorithm for retopo room. If edge is under surface it will be picked. But bacface edges will not be picked. Simple illustration of change - http://bit.ly/o9U17Q

- Autopo improved - manual strokes will only partially influence edgeflow - only areas close to stroke bound sphere will be affected. It is important because previously adding even one stroke was discarding all original curvature surface info. So correcting autopo results was really annoying in some cases. Now strokes will have local influence.

- Transform gizmo issue fixed - http://bit.ly/n1ru6U

- FBX export issue solved - http://bit.ly/qTkrlB

- Important change: perspective center will be on the center of viewport, not on whole window center as it was before.http://bit.ly/owqPie

- Smooth & freeze issue fixed - http://bit.ly/oXc5cQ

- The problem of pose tool over non voxelized object resolved -http://bit.ly/pwIkv9

- Solved problem of incorrect showing of the symmetry plane in Voxel room.

- Rendering issue solved - http://bit.ly/mZBzog

- Pose tool with "Through all volumes" issue solved - http://bit.ly/qYZI1I

- fixed: drawing with E panel modes was hanging sometimes on very close look to model.

- fixed: grow & smudge brushes was incorectly working with masks and symmetry.

3.5.25A

- enabled materials/masks painting (still slow on big maps, will be resolved very soon)

- UI improvement - you will be able to exclude almost any UI elements that you are not using - http://t.co/4Uimmq6h (see [Customize] button).

- New voxel export option - "File->Export projected quads" - alternative high quality quad only voxel export

- Enabled "VoxCleanup" command in retopo menu just for experiment - it is tesselation that works like dynamesh in ZB (done many months ago). Probably it is better to remove it from there and place just in export, but I will consider.

- Fixed problem of painting with big brush near symmetry plane using material.

- Important instability issue in Paint room solved.

3.5.25B

- dependence parameters restored, CustomizeUI button moved to memu (Edit & Windows).

- serious problem related to Res+ fixed

- Ignore back faces will work correctly with eraser.

- when 3B saved 3DC creates jpg with preview in same folder. When opening JPG-s will be visible too. Clicking on them will open 3B file.

3.5.25C

- Painting over big materials/masks will be fast too. Now optimization done.

- Even if UI element is hidden with new "Customize UI" mode it will be accessible through the hotkey.

• Applink Developer

This is a little bit out of the topic but, Andrew is doing great job fixing the bugs from mantis system. I think that one way how we can help Andrew is to re-check all the reports

we have reported into mantis. If the bug is not there anymore, or if the bugs behaves differently then leave a message into your report. Thanks a lot.

• Advanced Member

Not working either. Just tried LC tools and disappeared like this.

Next time it worked. LC tools aren't workable for me. They don't work like zb or Sc tools. In most cases, when used the reducer and tried to add again some geometry, holes everywhere.

No, I don't think so...

• Advanced Member

Stranger still this version does work for me on Osx. Very fast. Of course I still have the issue with the viewport overlaying everything after trying to save and flickering away as well as the white out rendering room.

Some things like cut etc in surface mode don't work with symmetry.

Mike

• Reputable Contributor

Stranger still this version does work for me on Osx. Very fast. Of course I still have the issue with the viewport overlaying everything after trying to save and flickering away as well as the white out rendering room.

Some things like cut etc in surface mode don't work with symmetry.

Mike

I was wondering why Cutoff never worked for me in Surface mode.

• Advanced Member

This last version suffers from major bugs.

I was working in voxels ~ 1.5 M and when autosave worked, I had a message that I was out of memory and had to save my work. Then 3dc disappeared like that and no recovery.

Out of memory at 1.5 M voxels and after 15 mins of work. A 64 bit app... ???

I think I'll wait for the next build.

what I already noticed was that there aren't any fixes on tools, the build tool doesn't follow the +- command for instance. Lot of Raul's LC tools, just noticed before instant crashing.

3dc works fast and disappears faster. (OSX build under 10.6.8 and nvidia graphics - lot of ram and xeon CPUs)

I won't report to mantis. These are fatal errors and have to be checked before uploading.

• Advanced Member

Hi sergyi

Read my post, I already explained that I was working in voxels mode. At ~1.3 M not more.

When 3dc tried to auto save, the message about memory issue came up. But I had not the opportunity to save. 3DC disappeared, boom. No autosave existed either.

First time for me at 64 bit, I can recall some issue at 32 bit when heavy voxels was the case. But I could save.

A second crash happened when tried to pick an LC tool, I can't reproduce it though.

I didn't trash the 3.5.24 version though. This new shares the same preferences.

Hi sergyi

Read my post, I already explained that I was working in voxels mode. At ~1.3 M not more.

When 3dc tried to auto save, the message about memory issue came up. But I had not the opportunity to save. 3DC disappeared, boom. No autosave existed either.

First time for me at 64 bit, I can recall some issue at 32 bit when heavy voxels was the case. But I could save.

A second crash happened when tried to pick an LC tool, I can't reproduce it though.

I didn't trash the 3.5.24 version though. This new shares the same preferences.

I saw the same memory issue shortly after using 3.5.25 for the first time. But it was in Paint Mode here. It told me to save but when I clicked ok on the dialog-> boom. There were no problems before using the same .3b file in V. 3.5.24 -- OSX 10.6.8, 3.6 Ghz Core i5, 12GB

• Advanced Member
This is weird. I had several crashes consecutively trying to open a recent saved file, and after clearing my flashdrive that is dedicated for Windows ReadyBoost, now it opens. Win 64 w/ CUDA3.5.25

If I understood Abn, you're using the flashdrive as ramdrive somehow. (win pagefile there?). We're facing some memory issue then? Fragmented memory?

• Reputable Contributor

If I understood Abn, you're using the flashdrive as ramdrive somehow. (win pagefile there?). We're facing some memory issue then? Fragmented memory?

Probably. Yeah, Windows 7 will treat a USB flash drive as an alternate pagefile, if it is dedicated to ReadyBoost. Long sequential files are faster with a regular HD, but flash memory (especially the high performance models, which I have) handles random read writes much faster, therefore Windows will, based on that determination, send pagefile content accordingly. Not sure if there is something similar going on with the MAC version, but I thought it was odd to get the same type of problem in Windows.