3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

• Advanced Member

Sorry if this is off topic. Can anybody link me to a thread or let me know what kind of performance I would see in other operating systems? I have only ever used 3d coat on a pc. Would I notice a big difference using 3d coat in Mac or linux? I have been looking into updating the way I work lately. I got a Cintiq, been playing with iPad to pc remotes to gesture my hotkeys, learning to fly a 3dconnexion space pilot and going crosseyed calibrating the iz3d stereoscopic driver.. Im looking for more immersive experience while sculpting.. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to look into dual booting if it makes sense performance wise.

Thanks,

IC

• Advanced Member

I'm on linux 99% of the time and love it but getting those devices you mentioned working will be an absolute pain, especially for a newbie. I wouldn't recommend switching OS for a small performance boost, a new OS is like learning an additional application and in case of linux it has a very steep learning curve. Linux is not a drop-in replacement, you will have to make some ammends.

That said, I am using it pretty much exclusively for six years for work and home and never looked back.

Another excellent update! Thank you so much!

Do we have to convert instances into real volumes before selecting AUTORETOPO with microvert paint option? Every time I try this only the original volume transfers over to the paint room. During the auto process, you can see the instances appear to be autoretopolized, but when it's done they're not there anymore (or can't be seen)? I'm just experimenting with Tinker's objects.

Is there a way to create multiple instances at once without the need to click a button each time? Maybe random placement on a surface or path to help when doing lots of nurnies or hair ;)

Thanks again for this wonderful program! MG

• Advanced Member

I'm on linux 99% of the time and love it but getting those devices you mentioned working will be an absolute pain, especially for a newbie. I wouldn't recommend switching OS for a small performance boost, a new OS is like learning an additional application and in case of linux it has a very steep learning curve. Linux is not a drop-in replacement, you will have to make some ammends.

That said, I am using it pretty much exclusively for six years for work and home and never looked back.

Thanks for the incite. Ill stick with Windows 7 x64 for now.. Its worth investing some time to change my working ways but at some point I have to get to work. :)

IC

• Advanced Member

Hey there Andrew, I am still getting the scaling problem when toggling proxy mode, it is scaling the sculp up based on the setting under Proxy visualisation, if its set to "reduce 4X" it infact scales the sculpt up 4 times, if you set it to "Don't show Proxy", then the sculpt is not scaled up, but you cannot see it, the "Downgrade visible volumes" is also effected like the "Toggle proxy mode". I hope you can fix this soon, running 3.5.09A Linux.

T.

• Advanced Member

Hi Andrew,

Is there any plan to upgrade from CUDA 3.0 to the latest CUDA 3.2? This could enable 3D-Coat to be used on all available cores instead of just 2/3 of the cores used by CUDA 3.0/3.1.

cheers

Probably not a good idea. Another cuda based software, octane renderer, has been delayed because nvidia changed the code that octane has to have a complete rewrite. For now they will have two version of octane, cuda 3.0 and 3.2 support. Not sure if that's a good idea.

• Reputable Contributor

I have a problem with losing ALL my custom hotkeys every single time I have to delete the Options.XML....which has become a routine occurrence every other new build or so. I was having glitches in my UI, and instead of reporting it, I deleted the Options.XML file and it fixed it. However, we need a way to save our custom hotkey layout outside of the options file....Andrew?

• Contributor

I have a problem with losing ALL my custom hotkeys every single time I have to delete the Options.XML....which has become a routine occurrence every other new build or so. I was having glitches in my UI, and instead of reporting it, I deleted the Options.XML file and it fixed it. However, we need a way to save our custom hotkey layout outside of the options file....Andrew?

Edit/Save Hotkey :)

I think it could be good to split Option.xml into several parts like

Keys.xml

Interface.xml

Options.xml

I think I will do it very soon.

• Reputable Contributor

Andrew, the Proxy scaling (on it's own) is still a recurring problem. 3.5.09A Win 7 64 w/CUDA. This has the potential to flush a LOT of work down the drain, or have to keep wrestling with the application to scale it back to the correct size and make it fit with other elements/layers.

• Advanced Member

Andrew, the Proxy scaling (on it's own) is still a recurring problem. 3.5.09A Win 7 64 w/CUDA. This has the potential to flush a LOT of work down the drain, or have to keep wrestling with the application to scale it back to the correct size and make it fit with other elements/layers.

I can confirm that behavior on Linux too and I can also confirm that it's annoying.

• Reputable Contributor

Nice dragon AbnRanger, love the eye shaders.

Thanks...there are quite a few shaders being shared in the 3DC Exchange Library thread/section. There are some eye shaders among them. You can of course, right-click on the material and select "edit current shader" and replace the image with one of your choosing. There are a few that allow you to adjust scaling and more. I had eyes in the dragon, but you can see how the body scaled up so large that you can't really see them.

The bad thing about this bug is you can't undo the scaling...you just got to hope you remembered to save your work before it happens. It seems that what it's doing is, instead of REDUCING 2x, 4x, 8x, it's scaling by that amount.

• Advanced Member

Thanks...there are quite a few shaders being shared in the 3DC Exchange Library thread/section. There are some eye shaders among them. You can of course, right-click on the material and select "edit current shader" and replace the image with one of your choosing. There are a few that allow you to adjust scaling and more. I had eyes in the dragon, but you can see how the body scaled up so large that you can't really see them. The bad thing about this bug is you can't undo the scaling...you just got to hope you remembered to save your work before it happens. It seems that what it's doing is, instead of REDUCING 2x, 4x, 8x, it's scaling by that amount.

Thanks for the pointer.. I will check out the exchange and have a play. I can see how the scaling issue will cause problems.

Ricky.

• Reputable Contributor

sorry my ask but where is it? this "3DC Exchange Library thread/section"

If you're signed in, you can see it (toward the bottom of the English forums). There is also a 500mb 3DC/Photoshop Brush library available with a single download (I would recommend downloading and installing "ABR Viewer" as a compaion utility....as it lets you browse sets before bringing them into your pallet). Lots of grunge goodness, cracks, splats, broken glass, etc.

If anyone has anything they care to add, feel free to post there with a link. Adrive.com is a good file storage resource (50GB free, no waiting, no strings attached). Anyone with skin/animal hyde brushes, who doesn't mind sharing...that would be a welcomed addition.

I can't reproduce this problem. Plese send me 3B or give me some ideas when it happens.

Important infos for bug and feature posters, don't miss it:

3D Coats bug reporting system has opened to the community

I don't want to push my blog with this post, but I know, that some of you are posting bug infos into this thread. So be so kind and invest some minutes into the official bug reporting system.

Thank you

Chris

• Reputable Contributor

Important infos for bug and feature posters, don't miss it:

3D Coats bug reporting system has opened to the community

I don't want to push my blog with this post, but I know, that some of you are posting bug infos into this thread. So be so kind and invest some minutes into the official bug reporting system.

Thank you

Chris

Not reporting a bug, really. Just mentioning that what Andrew has already stated was fixed, is actually still recurring...randomly. I've not been using Cache to Disk or Multi-Res anymore since this has been occurring so frequently. It's a shame, cause I normally do 1/2 of my sculpting on the proxy.

• Contributor

If one attempts to register on Mantis the following error is returned:

APPLICATION ERROR #1904

Confirmation hash does not match. Please retry.

There is no way a match can be made as the field provided is shorter than the "hash". :(

If one attempts to register on Mantis the following error is returned:

APPLICATION ERROR #1904

Confirmation hash does not match. Please retry.

There is no way a match can be made as the field provided is shorter than the "hash". :(

Are you shure, you can not login anonymously and post an issue?

If you would like to be a permanent beta team member, please let me know. This can be only set up by the beta team leaders. But please don't forget: If you plan to be a registered beta member, you should be willing to post issues regularly.

Best wishes

Chris

• Reputable Contributor

Andrew, the reason you can't repeat the proxy scaling is because it only does it randomly. Just now, it did it again. I selected x8 and then cached the layer to reduce RAM consumption, and got the following result. It is misinterpreting the reduction as a command to scale the proxy x2, x4, or x8. The object was in voxel/volume mode when I cached the layer.

• Contributor

Are you shure, you can not login anonymously and post an issue?

If you would like to be a permanent beta team member, please let me know. This can be only set up by the beta team leaders. But please don't forget: If you plan to be a registered beta member, you should be willing to post issues regularly.

Best wishes

Chris

I misunderstood. I thought I would have to register to post. I don't currently have any problems to report. :o