3DCoat Forums

Create multiple UVs from Retopo Room

philnolan3d

The lack of this feature is causing me some real headaches. You can create multiples from the UV room, but you can only get there after you've already baked your textures from the Retopo room. So by that point it's too late, at least too late for the baked textures.

I was just flipping through the manual and noticed that it said the Retopo room was updated so that it now has all of the same features and the UV room, but some new features like this were added to the UV room so that this is not true anymore.

Just wanted to add- On my current character I tried merging to per-pixel w/ normal map, then splitting the character's head onto another UV map, repacked both maps, and Applying both. This did work, but the updated head normal map was just really ugly and messy. I can understand why 3DC couldn't handle enlarging and rotating this small texture area (roughly 400x500) onto a 1024 map, this is why we need a way to create multiple maps before baking the normal maps.

• 1 month later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Yes, we need this very important ability and to bake all the uv maps into the paint room at the same time which I know you meant that too.

Edit:

Also what would be great is that you could say just bake the spear or shield or different parts of a model as needed and not have 3DCoat baking everything into one uv map...

+1 Oh good grief the problems I've had with EXACTLY this situaion recently.

Sculpting multiple scene props that needed to be kept in the same scene for stylistic continuity, but all props needed to have separate UV maps. Unfortunately I had to send out the whole thing as one MASSIVE mesh and use Maya for the bake.

• Applink Developer

It's great that Andrew added this feature. But how it works now can be quite confusing. Now you have to make sure that you are in right uv-set and right group, when moving

verts into diffrent uv-set. It would be much more clear if group window would handle it all. Here is a picture. I forgot from picture that uv-set name would be the layer name.

post-1165-12921411460505_thumb.jpg

I would prefer this kind of group/UV window in UV room too.

• Applink Developer

Edit, Ah, but then how would you tell it which UV se5t to display in the Preview window?

I don't see there any problem. Because each group has their own uv-set. active group's uv map would be seen in Preview window. Simple but powerful.

• Applink Developer

You would not need to hide other groups. Because preview window would only show one group at the time (selected group). And unwrap and other commands would be effected to active group, no others.

I will write this into mantis as a feature request. And As it works right now is okey. But if we are thinking how to make workflow smooth, I really think that this can help.

It's great that Andrew added this feature. But how it works now can be quite confusing. Now you have to make sure that you are in right uv-set and right group, when moving

verts into diffrent uv-set. It would be much more clear if group window would handle it all. Here is a picture. I forgot from picture that uv-set name would be the layer name.

post-1165-12921411460505_thumb.jpg

I would prefer this kind of group/UV window in UV room too.

I agree. The current way it is now is, well, cumbersome at best. Moving it to the side panel would be best and inline with the forward looking document I sent to Andrew months ago. Methinks I'll just release it at some point to help push things along...