3DCoat Forums

3D-Max AppLink

Andrew Shpagin

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to the video I was able to install the Applink without any problems, thank you!

I have one question though. When I send off an editable Poly to 3d-Coat work on it and then send it back, it arrives back in 3DS Max as an editable Mesh instead of an editable Poly. Is this usual or do I have to change a setting somewhere?

Thanks.

Thanks to the video I was able to install the Applink without any problems, thank you!

I have one question though. When I send off an editable Poly to 3d-Coat work on it and then send it back, it arrives back in 3DS Max as an editable Mesh instead of an editable Poly. Is this usual or do I have to change a setting somewhere?

Thanks.

I think It`s normal for import of 3d max. Import/export mostly working with triangles. I have this problem, but i don`t think what is it realy bug.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I am glad to present 3D-Max applink written by 1acc (scriptattack.com) from Russia.

All instructions are in readme_eng.txt. Please give your feedback.

attachicon.gif3DS_AppLink (3).zip

sources of the plugin:

attachicon.gif3DS_AppLink_source.rar

Edit: 12 Oct 2010 - updated to release version

Edit: 22 Oct 2010 - updated with several fixes

Edit: 01 Nov 2010 - updated

Edit: 19 Jan 2011 - updated

Edit: 15 Jan 2012 - updated

doesn't work for me. When I click the applink Icon..i get an error "no + function  or undefined" and makes keeps beeping. 

<_<

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Few times i try to install Applink for my 3dsmax 2014. I try different version Applink but it doesn't work. When i click on Manual update occur nothing. Can it be, because i have cyrillic letters in the path to Exchange folder? I know some programm (Alias studio, Keyshot) doesn't work for this reason.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Few times i try to install Applink for my 3dsmax 2014. I try different version Applink but it doesn't work. When i click on Manual update occur nothing. Can it be, because i have cyrillic letters in the path to Exchange folder? I know some programm (Alias studio, Keyshot) doesn't work for this reason.

Thanks!

Yes, it doesn't work for 3dsmax2014.

• 1 month later...

With the latest BETA19 build my 3ds max AppLink stoped to remember Path and Folder paths between 3ds max sessions. Every time I want to use AppLink I have to setup paths again. Is there a way to fix it on my side?

Update. It looks like AppLink script needs to be updated. There are some text strings which point to 3D-CoatV4 instead of 3D-CoatV45.

if (findString pathtoIO "3D-CoatV4\\Exchange\\")==undefined then (
    a=pathConfig.convertPathToAbsolute "meshes"
    t=(findString a "Documents")+9
    tt=(substring a 1 t)+"3D-CoatV4\\Exchange\\"
    if (doesFileExist tt) then pathtoIO=tt
   )

• 5 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Seems 3D Coat's renaming of the MyDocs/ 3D-CoatV4 directory has made the Applink unusable, now. Probably the case for all the applinks, not just Max. Please fix. I tried to go into the 3ds Max applink.ms file and change the directory name, manually, but for some reason that didn't work.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Reputable Contributor

This script is weird. I couldn't get it to work until I went into the macro_3DS_AppLink.mcr file and properly tabbed the lines (I find it hard to read scripts without formatting)...

Either way, works fine now in both max 2012 and max 2016, using 3DC 4.1 and 4.5

I can install it, but I cannot get assets back and forth between the two apps, because the folder name has changed to 3D Coat V45, and it hasn't been updated. I asked Andrew about it, and he said he would inform the guy working on the script. Months later....still no joy. Have you tried moving assets back and forth between them?

Yep, back and forth works, but there's a lot of extra BS past what I did with the install.

It might just be something with my computers permissions (I'm admin, so...) but the way pathtoIO.ini file is handled is seriously busted. As a result, before every max/applink session it needs to be deleted (C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2016\MacroScripts\macro_3DS_AppLink). Unfortunately it gets locked the moment its used once, so if you ever close the applink window you'll need to restart max (and delete the ini) before it'll work properly again. Also due to the ini issues, you will need to re-input the exchange path and output folder at the top of the applik window once for ever session.

If that doesn't work for you, I got fed up really quickly with the ini file issues and created my own (simplified) 3DSMax<->3DCoat applink.

You can grab it here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4210886/g_3DCappLink.mcr

You'll need to enter your paths in the top of the file via a text editor since I haven't bothered adding inputs to the UI. Though I can add more functions from the regular applink if there's any interest

Edited by PolyHertz

Small update: It now automatically detects the versions of 3DC installed and selects the newest one, with the option to select older versions from a drop down at the bottom. A bit faster then inputting the paths like in the official applink.

Also, the icons work so long as you load them into the IconsDark folder (The regular icons folder, which offical applink installs them to, is not the default in current max versions).

Edited by PolyHertz

Right click and 'save as' to somewhere on your computer, then within max go to scripting > run script , and open it from there.

Afterwords you can find it under customize > customize user interface > Keyboard/Toolbars tab > category > GregsScripts. Then either bind it to a hotkey or drag-drop it somewhere on the Max toolbar.

• Reputable Contributor

Updated my applink again, now with the ability for it to automatically create/apply PBR materials when importing back into Max (Max2016 only), or assign flat colors+opacity for low spec work.

Thanks for taking the time on this. I was sweating this applink after months of silence.

New version!

-Option to auto-launch 3DCoat app if an instance is not already running.
-Option to auto-switch to 3D-Coat app on mesh export. (didn't feel like a proper applink without it.)
-Added ability to export Curve Profile and Voxel Comine objects (added in v1.2 and v1.3 applink specification)
-Ability to dock window to left or right of Max viewport.
-Ability to Auto-delete by name, by user properties tag (system used by official applink), or by both.
-PBR option now only shown if running Max2016 or newer.

-Support for saving settings (just the checkboxes for now).

Same link as always. Have fun :)

Thanks for taking the time on this. I was sweating this applink after months of silence.

No problem, hopefully you and others can find some use for it. Let me know if there's any changes you'd like to see made (haven't actually gotten any feedback on it yet...).

I also noticed andrew linked to it on the first post. Does that make it the 'official' applink now? :p

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

New version!

-Option to auto-launch 3DCoat app if an instance is not already running.

-Option to auto-switch to 3D-Coat app on mesh export. (didn't feel like a proper applink without it.)

-Added ability to export Curve Profile and Voxel Comine objects (added in v1.2 and v1.3 applink specification)

-Ability to dock window to left or right of Max viewport.

-Ability to Auto-delete by name, by user properties tag (system used by official applink), or by both.

-PBR option now only shown if running Max2016 or newer.

-Support for saving settings (just the checkboxes for now).

Same link as always. Have fun :)

No problem, hopefully you and others can find some use for it. Let me know if there's any changes you'd like to see made (haven't actually gotten any feedback on it yet...).

I also noticed andrew linked to it on the first post. Does that make it the 'official' applink now? :p

I guess it does. :D That's where most users would look for the current one.