3DCoat Forums

Blender Applink

haikalle

Haikalle:

Yes, each time I've tried the Applink on a new object, (exported from Blender, modified in 3D-Coat and imported back into Blender), a "Cube_material_color" file is generated. I've tried .tga and .png with no luck re-importing back into Blender.

Edit:

If I first delete the Blender model, (from Blender), that I exported to 3D-Coat for modification, before I try to "Bring from Blender", then the process works.

What I was expecting was a kind of "live update" to the model as it exists in Blender, not a delete and replace process.

Greg Smith

• 2 weeks later...
  • Applink Developer

There is something odd. I added a rar file where is two objects. blender_object is created in blender and exported there. Next I import that object

into 3d-coat. I don't do any changes I just export the object right away. That's 3d_coat_object. If you take a look at those two files, vertices info dosen't

match. Scaling is the same but verts coordinates are almost x2. This will bring some grey hair to me when I try to replace old object with new one.

Right now there is an issue that object is scaling a little bit. I think I could find a solution but I think that the best solution is that 3d-coat

and 3d app vertices would match 100%.

I wonder how is other applink developers solving this issue.

object.rar

If I first delete the Blender model, (from Blender), that I exported to 3D-Coat for modification, before I try to "Bring from Blender", then the process works.

What I was expecting was a kind of "live update" to the model as it exists in Blender, not a delete and replace process.

PSmith.Sorry for late reply. How the old script worked was that if you used "Bring from Blender" You don't need to delete anything. You just

unselect everything and then "Bring from Blender" shows and you press that. If you have same name object in blender scene it will

replace that with the new one, in other case it will add this object. In my first applink version this operation was automatic, but they

added some limitations into blender API so I had to add the button method for this.

• Applink Developer

Hello all!

There is some exciting news! Blender Applink v2 is here. Well almost. It's in beta stage, and we need some testers. I'm sure that there is a lot of bugs and we need

to find them all and fix them. What has changed? Well, in old version there was lot of diffrent option. Now there is only two main functions. Buttons called Transfer

and Update. You don't need to set Exchange folder, the script is doing this for you. Also it will automaticly place all applink objects and textures into one place

/Documents/3DC2Blender. It's very easy to use. This will eventually replace the old script. Now it's time to hear your feedback about this script.

The beta script should work in PC and mac. Linux is in WIP....

If you want to give a try just replace /blender/2.59/scripts/addons/io_coat3D folder with same name folder in rar file.

Special Thanks to Greg Smith that really helped with this project. Thanks a lot PSmith :)

io_coat3D.rar

post-1165-0-94370800-1318272044_thumb.pn

• Applink Developer

Glad to hear it's working quite nicely already. Thanks for testing. Now the script supports all platforms(Win,Mac,Linux).

And I also send this code into blender trunk. So when blender 2.6 is released, new applink version comes with it :)

I will do some video tutorials and update the applink wiki page soon.

• Applink Developer

Thanks everyone! I could need some help. At the moment I don't have access into linux, so I have to blind code :)

There is a bug in linux system. I think that I have fixed it but I'm not quite sure. I have attached updated applink file. If someone

who has the linux system could test this. Just replace blender/2.60/scripts/addons/io_coat3D folder with the folder in file.

Thanks a lot.

io_coat3D.rar

• Reputable Contributor

Nice work on the plugin, Haikalle. Just tested the 2.6 Windows version. I think it should be noted that the "Mesh to Voxel Primitive" is a bit misleading by virtue of it's name. I was thinking that it was creating a new Primitive for the Primatives tool in the voxel room. It doesn't. Instead it creates an obj model for the Models Pallet. That is pretty cool in and of itself, but the naming can confuse any user who isn't informed about this beforehand. Everything else is pretty much self-explanatory.

I wish Andrew could create a "Pick Primitive from Models Pallet" for the Primitives Tool in the Voxel room. That would not only remove the confusion I just mentioned, but it would make a lot of people happy. One could start blocking out characters/objects more quickly than any other app I can think of

• Applink Developer

Thanks AbnRanger :) And you are right. That naming is a little misleading. I didn't test this feature so fully, I was also expecting that the object is

Voxel Primitive. I will change the name "Mesh to Voxel Primitive" into "Mesh to Models Gallery". Or what should be the name for it?

• Applink Developer

Also there is one other question that I would like to have some feedback. Right now applink will place all objects into one folder. To avoid

conflictions if there is already object named Cube.obj it will rename your objects Cube01.obj. The user dosen't see this. In blender project

the name is still Cube. But the problem is if user wants to put all the objects into specific folder. User has hard time find his object in applink

folder (imagine you have 10 project and they all have objetc called cube. cube00,cube01,cube02). There is one solution I would like to suggest to avoid

this problem. This is it:

Applink Script is using default folder for objects. But if the project is saved in blender the applink script would check the project path and

then move all applink objects into /project_path/3DCapplink/ folder. This way we could keep all objects and textures in order. This would be one

solution.

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks AbnRanger :) And you are right. That naming is a little misleading. I didn't test this feature so fully, I was also expecting that the object is

Voxel Primitive. I will change the name "Mesh to Voxel Primitive" into "Mesh to Models Gallery". Or what should be the name for it?

Leave it the way you have it for now. I asked Andrew about the possibility to add a "Pick from Models Pallet" to the PRIMITIVES tool (in the Voxel room), and I think he is either going to do that or have the option to apply an FFD cage to the MERGE tool. As long as users know where to find the mesh they send with that command, it will be fine.

As for the file naming/directory assignment...sounds like a good idea. BTW, thanks for getting the Applink included in the default Blender setup. That could really help grow the 3D Coat community :good:

• 3 weeks later...

Have been trying to get Applink to work for two days, with Blender 2.60.4 r 41946.

When I try to use get this error message:

Applink didn't find your 3d-coat/Excahnge folder

Please select it before using Applink

Documents and Settings\craig\Documents\3D-Coat\Exchange

The last line is my file path, but look at the first line, Blender is not spelling "Exchange" right.

Is this why it won't work?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to Blender 2.83 Applink