Blender Applink

haikalle

Hmm, I'm still getting the

importing obj '/home/joel/3DC2Blender/Objects/Plane02.obj'

parsing obj file...

0.0123 sec

loading materials and images...

Material not found MTL: b'/home/joel/3DC2Blender/Objects/Plane02.mtl'

error I mentioned before, even with the new rar file you just posted. So the textures still aren't being loaded in Blender. I'm using 2.66 in Linux, if that makes a difference. Who knows, it just might. :)

• Applink Developer

Getting this error? On linux using 2.66a.

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/home/ebitz/Programs/blender-2.66a-linux-glibc211-x86_64/2.66/scripts/addons/io_coat3D/coat.py", line 235, in invoke

keep_vertex_order = True,axis_forward='X',axis_up='Y')

File "/home/ebitz/Programs/blender-2.66a-linux-glibc211-x86_64/2.66/scripts/modules/bpy/ops.py", line 188, in __call__

ret = op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)

TypeError: Converting py args to operator properties: : keyword "use_apply_modifiers" unrecognized

Did you downloaded the rar file I posted here couple days ago. The applink dosen't work with the latest official version. But the rar file should fix the problem you are having.

• Applink Developer

Hmm, I'm still getting the

error I mentioned before, even with the new rar file you just posted. So the textures still aren't being loaded in Blender. I'm using 2.66 in Linux, if that makes a difference. Who knows, it just might. :)

Interesting. It seems that I need to install linux again because in windows it is working.

New update. Now object materials should also transfer correctly.

io_coat3D.rar

linux problems still may occur. Need to install it to my computer to do some tests.

Yeah, still not working. :( It must be a Linux thing. I appreciate the work you're doing on it, regardless. I need to spruce up on my Python so I can help with it.

Well, it does function correctly if I import the texture directly into Blender myself, but if I remember correctly, that wasn't necessary in a previous version of Blender. I remember being able to just update and it would import the whole object with the .mtl file. But no problem. I don't mind bringing in the textures by hand one time, then just using Update to, well... update. :)

• Applink Developer

ohsnapitsjoel, do you get the error when you press "transfer" or "update" button?

Hi haikalle,

I've been using the addon for a little while, and it suddenly stopped working correctly when trying to update objects in Blender from the paint room in 3DC. It was removing the .mtl file before reading it or something, so it would never update the materials and textures.

applink will remove mtl file. That's okey(well that's not okey but at the moment it deletes it). I coded my own search engine that will transfers materials and textures between blender and 3DC. So that couldn't be the reason why linux version stopped working. Do you see any other errors that is given when using applink in linux?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there. Blender uses the Z axis for up in world coordinates while 3DC uses Y for up. On the 3DC import dialog, make sure you tick the checkbox titled "Swap Y and Z". This will set it right how you want it in world space in 3DC.

Hi there. Blender uses the Z axis for up in world coordinates while 3DC uses Y for up. On the 3DC import dialog, make sure you tick the checkbox titled "Swap Y and Z". This will set it right how you want it in world space in 3DC.

When i cheked "Swap Y and Z" it rotated, but wrong again:

suz_3dc2.jpg

I'v changed axis in the applink (coat.py) X to Y and Y to Z, and its work fine now.

I'm surprised that no one had this problem

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

hey haikalle have to agree with lucoat, just manually exporting from 3d coat (swap y and z off) and manually importing with -z Forward and Y up in file browser seems to give me correct orientations in Blender (front using yz plane). However, when using your script the front of a model uses the xz plane. This maybe redundant or it may be helpful. Thanks.

• Advanced Member

It's important to know what blender build you (we) are using.

New commitments took place recently. One is about fixing an issue in sculpting. No need to apply (ctrl+a) rotation and scale now.

In any case, take a look on transform/N panel first. Does it look OK?

I've noticed weird behavior recently. Especially when importing from other apps. Everything looks OK but rotation panel indicates wrong.

Now, cycles became the major render engine. I wonder how an applink will handle it.

The only needed is to import all the textures data. The rest are upon the node editor. Even an auto export all 3dc layers as individual textures may be enough.

There's a long roadmap in cycles. It will end on baking cycles capabilities. You may realize how many possible combination can happen via nodes. Some maps can be used as values, controlling other maps mixtures. So, a 3dc layer where cavity is painted etc etc . See my point?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question.

Why normal maps derived from 3d-coat will give this piece of shit here in Blender. Comparison of the image.

Tried to insert the model in Unity3d - there are much better, but the artifacts are still present.

post-2369-0-16462600-1367870012_thumb.pn

@ Marggob

I use Blender as well, have you changed the settings for exporting your normal maps for Blender in the Preferences menu of 3DCoat?

Here I have everything set up, as you have.

However, I seem to have understood what the problem was.

I forgot to switch to Blender during baking normal maps from high poly to the low poly model. And then we switched to it and, of course, got bugs. )))

Thank you. 'll Just have to bake basic normal mapping on the new. :)

Hello, Does it work on 3D Coat V 3.3 04 ? When I click transfer it is sent to the 3D Coat Application, however when I click File>Object Back ( which sends object to its original application that brought it in, the dialog shows up, when clicking OK nothing happens aftwards. I switch to Blender click UPDATE but nothing happens, AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE?

• Applink Developer

Hi everyone. I have changed the applink script as it was before. This means that if you try to take Monkey object from blender to 3d-coat it rotates the object wrong in 3d-coat space but

it works with all other objects so this best situation for now.

Harris3D, Have you checked "viewport shading -> texture" in blender and do you see any textures in textures panel?

• Advanced Member

Wait a minute.

Blender.

In the N panel under transform, when monkey is selected it says x=90 y=0 z=0. After applying ctrl+A rotation and scale etc, does the issue still exist?

As for me, I gave it a try and just error.

post-2454-0-91931400-1368463360_thumb.pn

• Applink Developer

Thanks michalis. I wonder why it has x=90 as a default value. But if you set it to 0 it works well with applink. The error you are having is fixed with the latest blender version.

You can download latest version from graphicall.org or to wait the next official version.

• Applink Developer

You are mac user. There might be some issues that I'm not seeing but I'm sure that we can find a solution very soon. It

would be great if we can get this to work perfectly to all mac users too.

I uploaded new version of applink. Could try that and see if that helps? Just replace folder from blender/2.67/scripts/addons with the folder that is in 7z file.

io_coat3D.7z

• Applink Developer

Now to tell where 3dcoat is? How it works?

It means that applink didn't find the 3d-coat Exchange folder. It looked only 3D-CoatV3 folder. I updated the script and now it first looks for V4 folder but

if it's not found then it will look for V3 folder.

You can still get the applink to work when manually find and select your 3d-coat exchange folder. In macs it should be found Users/Documents/3D-CoatV4(or V3)/ Exchange

and after this it should work. But this is the step that user should not need to do in the future.

• Advanced Member

OK it works! On OSX 3dcoat 4, blender r 56786

Good job!

From my point of view the most useful part is to send from blender to 3dcoat.

When back, it's just a obj import. As I render in cycles and have to setup everything.

I had to import textures separately for some reason.

I also noticed that the first time, coordinates of the mesh changed, jumped a little lower. After that it was working.

Of course I still can't understand how to bake normal maps, always wrong. Maya style, maya calculation, still wrong though. Out of topic.

Wrong tangent coordinates obviously.

• Contributor

Normalmaps:

Blender is on the wrong side, as far as i see.

In 2.49 the Normals are baked correctly, but since 2.5 they are in the wrong direction, and would be used in that direction.

I see it every time in my game models if i bake normals in Blender.

Not sure why the BF change that, but you could flip the green Chanel in UV-Editor if you use a Normalmap that is created outside of Blender 2.5+

• Advanced Member

Flip the channel (green)? What do you mean? Invert it?

If so, is this the maya way?

If so, how can I setup 3dcoat (preferences) ?

It has two inputs. One how to calculate (3dc or maya) the other how to export (maya-blender)

If blender is in the wrong side, really not my concern. Maya is the wrong side? Is this a critic on blender? I asked for some advice.

Game engines may be different but this isn't my target.

I was able to setup 3dcoat once upon a time. (for blender 2.6x)

• Carlosan changed the title to Blender 2.83 Applink