3DCoat Forums

Ricky's Sketchbook

wave of light

• Advanced Member

Hi everyone,

After trialling the software I went ahead and purchased the full package today, so I thought I would share my first WIP...

It's not perfect and the back end isn't textured as I just wanted to look at the 3DCoat to LW workflow.

1. Board and Cheese modelled in LW - gonna sound silly but I couldn't figure out how to quickly do a wedge shape in 3DC!

2. Voxel sculpted

3. Retopo

4. Paint Room (bring in new material)

5. UVs

6. Export as lwo and into LW

Ricky.

post-3405-12865620225088_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Hi everyone,

Just a quick 1.5 hour voxel modelling session... I may turn this one into a WIP.

I take it the more detailed your voxel model, the better your occlusion and normal maps will be?

And the more detailed your normal map, the smaller your base mesh can be (once retopo'd)?

Cheers,

Ricky.

post-3405-12869140953706_thumb.jpgpost-3405-12869140938908_thumb.jpgpost-3405-12869140922682_thumb.jpgpost-3405-1286914090908_thumb.jpgpost-3405-12869140892429_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the feedback Greg. I'm getting use to the UI now. Next i want to work on detail (i seem to be having high poly count voxel sculpts without hard edge detail) and setting up my UI shortcuts.

Cheers,

Ricky.

• Advanced Member

I really like your cheese model.

Wanna eat it! Cheese is so expensive here in Japan.

Very hard to bare for a french guy.

Process cheese, is... well, I think that's enough for cheese now.

Did you unfold Uvs, after painting?

Is it because you used "Vertex painting"?

Didn't know that was possible.

Keep on the good work; but please, no more cheese! :)

• Advanced Member

Hi Garagarape,

Thanks for checking out my posts. I Modelled in 3DC (Voxel) from a wedge object imported from Lightwave. I then did some retopo and created a mesh to be able to paint on. I downloaded various images of cheese (mainly brie and camembert) and pulled those in as materials to be able to protection paint.

Then I cleaned up the UVs that were automatically created by 3DC, before exporting into LW for rendering.

Japan and cheese... I never knew that. So it is difficult to get good types of cheese in Japan then?

Cheers,

Ricky.

• Advanced Member

Yes, I've heard that news about Sculptris.

I wonder how they will incorporate it to Z-Brush.

There is so many good softs to test these days.

Z-brush is cool too, but I never get used to retopo with Z-spheres.

Voxel is so cool because you don't have to care too much about density!

I noticed you like Jodorowsky. His comics are really unique.

Thank you for the texturing tips.

I always spend time tweaking Uvs before painting

(Often using old techniques). It is very refreshing to hear

about other workflows. Thanks!

Good luck for your next model.

Why not building one entirely from the scratch

in 3d-coat? Primitives combined are nice to get

quick shapes. Is Lightwave good? My company used

to equip people with this soft. Then they changed for Maya.

Cheers,

Frederic

• 5 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Yes, I've heard that news about Sculptris.

I wonder how they will incorporate it to Z-Brush.

There is so many good softs to test these days.

Z-brush is cool too, but I never get used to retopo with Z-spheres.

Voxel is so cool because you don't have to care too much about density!

I noticed you like Jodorowsky. His comics are really unique.

Thank you for the texturing tips.

I always spend time tweaking Uvs before painting

(Often using old techniques). It is very refreshing to hear

about other workflows. Thanks!

Good luck for your next model.

Why not building one entirely from the scratch

in 3d-coat? Primitives combined are nice to get

quick shapes. Is Lightwave good? My company used

to equip people with this soft. Then they changed for Maya.

Cheers,

Frederic

Sorry Frederic. For some reason I missed your reply.

Thanks for the feedback. LW10 is starting to look a lot different than other versions and it's a lot quicker. VPR is similar to FPrime, but it's now part of both Core and Layout (and quick too). You can voxel model in 3DC, retopo, paint and export to LW and see your model in realtime rendering.

Still playing and learning. What's the learning curve like with Maya?

Cheers,

Ricky.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Here's a scene I've put together using the cheese and cheese board creating and textured in 3DCoat. I've finally got my head around nodel texturing and the dielectric node works excellently on the glass.

Ricky.

post-3405-12911074401427_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

Well, I've been using 3DCoat mostly for texturing models in Lightwave. What I really wanted to do was go back and look at the sculpting side of things, improve my workflow and take the new tools for a spin. So, I decided to pick a character that would need detail and depth - The Thing from Fantastic Four.

Before I post images, just wanted to give a big ty to Digman and AbnRanger for there guidance and problem solving in a previous thread.

I've started with the head, and quickly added in a upper body with muscle groups, so gauge proportions. I'm trying to incorporate parts of the character I like from both the cartoon version and the recent films.

My approach to the cracks so far has been to use LiveClay with a negative depth to draw in the crack lines, then using the CreaseClay and WrinkleClay to draw in the cracks. Then I build on the brick areas and use Chi

ALL crits are more than welcome.

The Thing from Fantastic 4, WIP:

135229096448.jpg

And part body sculpt:

135229107348.jpg

• Advanced Member

Nice start with your Ben Grim!

Thanks man. Have hit a snag though. I was warned to do most/all of the sculpt in voxels and then res up and use surface mode for the detail. But I wanted to the test the best methods for achieving the brick-like features, so went detailed the head. Now it crashes when I try to re-merge with the body.

Oh well, will know better next time.

• Advanced Member

It is strange that it crashes when you try to merge the parts.

Are each part definitions the same? (You often get strange results merging too different density stuff).

You don't seem to use a large amount of "polys". I wonder why it crashes.

Did you try to merge a voxel part with a surface mode part?

Did you try to use "To global space" before merging?

Did you use "Move to" to merge parts (That's what I use most of the time and it works well).

Good luck with it.

I like Ben Grim too. There was a cartoon played on French TV when I was a kid with him.

If I remember well he is the only one that don't transform. I mean, the brick looks is his permanent state.

And I like him always arguing with the torch.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for all your suggestions. After playing around with it and trying different combinations (including 'move to' 'merge to') and making sure both were in Surface mode and of similar poly size, still no joy.

I had to drop it back into Voxel mode and merge, thus losing some of the detail. I will go back to Surface mode once I have the rest of him meshed out.

Cheers,

Ricky.

Here's a funny undo 'bug' that was created trying to do the above process:

135236944822.jpg

• Advanced Member

before merge... is the head object closed ?

Yep, I also did a clean memory and Close holes. Here's another resulting attempt:

135237208990.jpg

EDIT: I'm back working on a voxel version now, so I've lost a day's detail, but that's part of the learning curve.

• Advanced Member

Dirceu, yer, it's a pain in the butt, but I was warned early on in the process that I should Voxel the main pose and low-mid detail, then and only then, go over to surface mode to add hi-level detail, or high level detail in the paint room.

Thanks for your kind words.. here's a small update (now back on with voxel sculpting)

135237756348.jpg

Thanks for all your suggestions. After playing around with it and trying different combinations (including 'move to' 'merge to') and making sure both were in Surface mode and of similar poly size, still no joy.

I had to drop it back into Voxel mode and merge, thus losing some of the detail. I will go back to Surface mode once I have the rest of him meshed out.

Cheers,

Ricky.

Here's a funny undo 'bug' that was created trying to do the above process:

135236944822.jpg

In my session I touched this bug too, now fixed.

• Advanced Member

Ok, I'm not at the stage where I want to start adding in brick detail. So please, let me know what you think before I go any further.

Notes: Belt, Belt Buckle and Shorts are separate layers. The toes look strange because I have blocked them off ready for the brick effect.

Cheers and goodnight.

http://3d-coat.com/turntableID=135241754226

• Advanced Member

Great improve on your model!

Now you have to create the right shader for him (there's an "Hulk" shader in 3dc already, not a Ben Grim one).

Thank you for discovering these bugs. My workflow is too simple and I didn't realise

there was a merge error problem.

• Advanced Member

@Garagarape: no props, thanks for your input and I will have a look into shaders and how to create them. I want to go for a real bricklije texture in the end.

@digman: thanks. I will take a look a the triceps again.

• Advanced Member

Quick update. New triceps, re-done the facial details and changes his shorts.

Thank to Digman for the skype session today, came in really handy and has iliminated any issues I had with LC brushes (must have been the 'To global space' setting!)

135248765609.jpg

• Advanced Member

You are coming right along, looking forward to seeing him rigged...

We're a little way from that bit yet, but I will post screen shots when I'm going through the processes. Hoping they release Lw 11.5 as the new Genoma rigging system would be ideal to test on this mesh.