3DCoat Forums

Garagarape sketchbook

Garagarape

• Advanced Member

Managed to add the fish scales somehow... Look a bit like silver coins, but better than her remaining nude as a worm.

sirene_06.jpg

Don't know if I'll put this further. I will probably chose the best angle of the mermaid and include her in a kind of matte painting thing.

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

Hi Tony! I just did it the old way. A row of scales on a different layer, bended with pose tool, and duplicated many times.
The stencil was not good enough for this --> I don't mean the stencil tool is bad, it's just that fish scales have an orientation
that is hard to express only with a 2D Pattern.
I don't know what a freeze gradient is. I will check this at home tonight. Thanks for the hint!
Cheers!

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Nice work. :good2: Here is some more food for thought:

You can also use the IMPORT tool with ON BRUSH checked, to very quickly place many copies of the same type of shape/object. There is a demonstration of that starting around the 6:50 mark in this video:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I didn't want to left the previous work undone, but had no time to re-work the 3d model.
Finally I used smart materials on metallic parts, did a render in 3dCoat and arranged other parts in Photoshop.
This is not perfect, but I'm happy that somehow this character is finished. Leaving things undone is like a lost battle to me.
Not a Christmas related work, but...
... Merry Christmas to you all!

dragon_soldier.jpg

• Like 5

• Contributor

The load bearing foot. The trick is to suggest movement without toppling over. We have a sense of stability or balance that when A figure does not match this inner ear thing, it looks unstable (imagine it made of bronze).

Tilted that far forward might mean the right leg would have to move very fast to prevent  the character  from falling (in an animation, for instance). I think if you reduced the figures tilt, you would arrive at a point where it looked 'right'.

• Reputable Contributor

Great work as always... :declare:

The girl in your 3D combo 2D work appears to right handed as the sword is in her right hand and the arm is forward. Put your self in the girl's pose and you will feel unstable. Her right foot needs to be more forward. Also you might look at her stance, she appears to be charging forward though her sword is more or less in a defensive position. 

• Advanced Member

Hi David! Happy to read you!
I thought of you when I went to my sister's wedding in South Carolina a few months ago.
Actually her husband has some family in Texas. The trip was too short to escape from
Greenville and try to meet friends. May be next time. That was my first time in America
and I was very happy to discover your country (well, at least a tiny piece of it).

Yes, the soldier girl is not perfect, but I've changed the legs position three times
(this is rotating parts in Photoshop, for it is not a skinned model). I'm kind of done with it.
I tried to follow Tony's advices, but I didn't managed to tweak it good ("Whip it good" Devo) :).

In fact she's stepping forward just after she took the saber out of it's sheath.
I wanted to suggest that move by the blur on her right arm and the cloth floating. But it's a fail.
Have to rig the model probably and take more time, but I want to start something else.
Toolbag3 seem to be a wonderful tool. I may try to make another character to test it.
But for the moment, sculpt doodle is fine.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

It does work!
Thanks Wojtek! Never thought of this workflow in 3dCoat though I used it in Maya long ago.
Still, I found it hard to figure out how high is the mountain while painting over the stencil from above.
Being able to extrude it all at once like when you load a height map in Maya would be cool.
The result on the pic is still rough. I guess I have to rework the grey scale map.

mounts.jpg

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Carlosan! Thank you for the tip!
I can't get a nice detail definition on the mesh though.
The "Import Image as a Mesh" is a good workflow shortcut. It takes not much time. I like it.
But I didn't found options to chose the voxel definition. It gives me a 0.6 density model
whatever I do.
I tried the stencil way described in Wojtek thread. Even with a 4096X4096 stencil texture (height map)
and X16 definition mesh (26 millions polys) the result is too rough.
I can't tell if it is a lack of density or if the height map that is not subtle enough.
Also, trying to build a very wide area at once is may be not a good idea. I'm gonna make a
few other tests with one stencil for each mountain rather than trying to build the whole scene at once.
Well... may be the fail is due to something else, but I just don't get it for the moment.

mounts2.jpg

• Advanced Member

Thanks Wojtek! I managed to get descent volumes combining your technique
and Carlosan one. Importing image as a mesh takes a little effort, because it's hard to tell
what will be the height of the mountain with a range going from pure black to pure white.
Tweaking "Bump thickness" helped more than working on height map subtle values.
The density and the mesh size created by "import image as a mesh" seem to be
screen based. With the same texture I get completely different things depending
on my camera being close or far from world center.

Now I have to think of buildings or aircraft to put on the scene and give an idea of the scale...

Thank you for your help. That's fun to try something new!

montagnes.jpg

• Like 2