3DCoat Forums

Garagarape sketchbook

Garagarape

• Reputable Contributor

Z axis graphical retopo virtual mesh bug confirmed on Linux as well. If you apply symmetry under the retopo menu or left tool bar and then turn off virtual mode the real retopo mesh opacity is then correctly shown on the side that was incorrect. Yep, a bug for sure.

Excellent work on your sculpture!

• Advanced Member

Thanks Digman. So it was a known bug.

Considering that a character model in video game always faces

the +Z axis (well, most of the time), I should have pay attention

to the axis from the start.

I turned all the parts 90 degrees. I was a bit afraid to lose resolution in the details;

it is a stupid belief related to Photoshop knowledge. In Photoshop when you

manually rotate a pattern (not the default 90 degrees or 180 degrees rotation)

it loses a bit of its definition.

I thought something similar could happen in 3dCoat when rotating a model part,

but no, that was OK. :)

• Contributor

What I like in your work here is that you chose leather instead of steel. Apart of the extraordinary attention to details you introduced to your model, of course.

Awesome stuff. Waiting for more. :drinks:

A question if I may. I've noticed the quads on your retopo mesh are almost perfectly square and evenly distributed. What technique do you use to make them look like that?

• Reputable Contributor

What I like in your work here is that you chose leather instead of steel. Apart of the extraordinary attention to details you introduced to your model, of course.

Awesome stuff. Waiting for more. :drinks:

A question if I may. I've noticed the quads on your retopo mesh are almost perfectly square and evenly distributed. What technique do you use to make them look like that?

Yes, Yes, How do you get those nice even quads...

• Advanced Member

Ha ha. Thanks.

Yes of course, 3dCoat is a wonderful tool for retopo.

I liked Topogun too, but don't use it anymore (don't know much about new versions though)

There's no secret about the model structure, and, as Michalis said,

I use some tris here and there when I can't end a strip with a quad.

It is all done by hand ("add" and "brush" mostly).

But it is not perfect ---> little distortions on the hard parts which won't bend

during animation or posing. Inside of the helmet is rough, etc...

• Contributor

Holding down SHIFT while using the brush tool relaxes the retopo mesh into very nice and even distribution.

Edited by TimmyZDesign

• Reputable Contributor

Ha ha. Thanks.

Yes of course, 3dCoat is a wonderful tool for retopo.

I liked Topogun too, but don't use it anymore (don't know much about new versions though)

There's no secret about the model structure, and, as Michalis said,

I use some tris here and there when I can't end a strip with a quad.

It is all done by hand ("add" and "brush" mostly).

But it is not perfect ---> little distortions on the hard parts which won't bend

during animation or posing. Inside of the helmet is rough, etc...

Nice work on this....and yeah, I've been asking Andrew for a Shell tool/modifier for the longest. Saves having to hand retopo inside an object with thickness, like a helmet and such. It's among the list of Retopo tool feature requests I've placed on Mantis. If you'd like to see some of these added, please make sure to add your support to the Mantis requests.

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14525

Here is a video showing some of them:

http://www.screencast.com/users/dnashj33/folders/Camtasia%20Studio/media/fbedb2a5-761d-46a8-8fb6-5a66d95ea5d4

• Advanced Member

AbnRanger, Thanks for the video and guiding me through Mantis.

The video is interesting.

I like the the comparison between 3dCoat and 3dsMax when there is this talk

about retopo tools.

I wonder how an extrude geometry on the fly would behave in 3dsMax, upon an

exported obj high model.

I'm under the feeling that it is hard to ask those options to Andrew just now.

The fail shown on the video with the extrude tool and the polygons going funky when they are moved along the tooth

are probably related to a snapping problem that can't be solved easily. With those polygons created on the fly

I don't see how it is possible to make them snap on one polygon rather than on one of the millions that are around.

It is far different from asking an interpolation between two edges rings (add edge loop) because there is nothing

to guide the new edge ring when pushing it towards the high model tooth. I don't know a soft able to do that.

The demonstration made in Max is not made upon a high density model. What is shown is just extrude options

without taking in count the snapping problem.

But I agree that in the end, more subtle tweak tool would be nice in the retopo room.

In the case described at 03:40, I would simply build a cylinder from the base of tooth to its end, then

use "add edge loop" and "slide edge ring" to get the good shapes (plus "cap" to close the shape).

There are minor bugs in the retopo room that should be fixed before asking new features, no?

The symmetry that works only with the X axis on for example.

I'm gonna have a look at the Mantis list now. I've been lazy about it for too long.

But forgive me, it is also because I do debugging all day long at my company.

I'll try to do something as much as I can.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...