3DCoat Forums

Sculptr of a robo-mite

Spiraloid

37 members have voted

1. 1. Is this cool?

• Advanced Member

If someone would ask me what's so special about 3D-Coat I would point him to your videos. Seeing how you use this program demonstrates its strengths better than a thousand words. Of course, it also helps that you're an awesome artist...

• Advanced Member

Truly excellent. I would love to watch you model. I'm just starting out with 3DCoat and your videos (along with Jarvis') are inspiring.

How do you select and cut away parts of the sculpt (it looks like you are drawing your selection).

Cheers,

Ricky.

• Advanced Member

Absolutely awesome and cool!

I am seriously thinking about opening new section is site, call it "Quicksculpt" or "Is it cool?" and place there links to your videos because they are really impressive.

Hey Andrew, thanks for the kind words. nice idea, "speed modeling" is the term with the most videos on youtube.

btw, some folks here asked that I get in contact with you about some features. I'm a fan of people seeing the requests, so instad of email, I'll post here. here's my top ten 3D coat wishlist:

1.fix bug where left click on merge tool doesn't work when rectangle or lasso stroke type is active. I’m in the “e” menu way to much. maybe just hide the green wire drawing for the merge tool.

2.allow textured polymodels from the paint room to be used for reference while sculpting in the voxels room

3.allow active polymesh from retopo room to be in UV room so I can work back and forth between making UV’s and meshes before baking textures.

4."move on plane" handle in transform gizmo.

5.modifier key for screen relative gizmo drag to allows "slide on surface" (shift)

6.modifier key for screen relative gizmo drag to allows "move towards/away from view" (alt)

7.faster updates after lasso subtract carve, hide and cut&clone.

8.option to warp all texture layers automatically when leaving the UV room.

9.fade off based on normal to screen when polypainting. I get a lot of hard edges in my polypainting. there might be a setting, I just haven't found it.

10. dynamically evaluated fill and adjustment layers ( hsv, levels, curves, gradients, solid color and solid noise). My normal worlflow regardless of the tool I'm using is to paint only black and white layer masks and uses these. it allows me to make sweeping changes at the end after everything is setup. I get a lot more iterations per click if I can tune textures in this way.

• Advanced Member

Truly excellent. I would love to watch you model. I'm just starting out with 3DCoat and your videos (along with Jarvis') are inspiring.

How do you select and cut away parts of the sculpt (it looks like you are drawing your selection).

Cheers,

Ricky.

Hey glad you caught that. when I setup that move I was wondering if anyone would catch it. looks like you did.

I'm using the sphere tool in invert mode. I practiced getting good at placing the plane of the camera (aka focal plane) so that when I draw in free space, either positively or negatively, I can predict where the pen stroke will be. (that's what the first few moves in the video are. I'm practicing drawing on the focal plane)

I wonder if I could setup a trackball and do two handed sculpting a-la

Hey Andrew, thanks for the kind words. nice idea, "speed modeling" is the term with the most videos on youtube.

btw, some folks here asked that I get in contact with you about some features. I'm a fan of people seeing the requests, so instad of email, I'll post here. here's my top ten 3D coat wishlist:

1.fix bug where left click on merge tool doesn't work when rectangle or lasso stroke type is active. I’m in the “e” menu way to much. maybe just hide the green wire drawing for the merge tool.

2.allow textured polymodels from the paint room to be used for reference while sculpting in the voxels room

3.allow active polymesh from retopo room to be in UV room so I can work back and forth between making UV’s and meshes before baking textures.

4."move on plane" handle in transform gizmo.

5.modifier key for screen relative gizmo drag to allows "slide on surface" (shift)

6.modifier key for screen relative gizmo drag to allows "move towards/away from view" (alt)

7.faster updates after lasso subtract carve, hide and cut&clone.

8.option to warp all texture layers automatically when leaving the UV room.

9.fade off based on normal to screen when polypainting. I get a lot of hard edges in my polypainting. there might be a setting, I just haven't found it.

10. dynamically evaluated fill and adjustment layers ( hsv, levels, curves, gradients, solid color and solid noise). My normal worlflow regardless of the tool I'm using is to paint only black and white layer masks and uses these. it allows me to make sweeping changes at the end after everything is setup. I get a lot more iterations per click if I can tune textures in this way.

Accepted in to-do list.

• Advanced Member

Accepted in to-do list.

awesomeness!

btw. I just downloaded the update. the speed improvements are great. I like the menu renaming and reordering too.

while I was testing it out, I started hacking off pieces of the robo-mite and testing out a wrinkle brush idea, and well, I arrived at this metal goat monster thing. must be halloween soon.

128722495088.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Hey glad you caught that. when I setup that move I was wondering if anyone would catch it. looks like you did.I'm using the sphere tool in invert mode. I practiced getting good at placing the plane of the camera (aka focal plane) so that when I draw in free space, either positively or negatively, I can predict where the pen stroke will be. (that's what the first few moves in the video are. I'm practicing drawing on the focal plane)I wonder if I could setup a trackball and do two handed sculpting a-lahttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTKSBzg67xs&feature=player_embedded

Very clever. I've just given that a try and it works a charm. Love the goat by the way.

Ricky.

• Advanced Member

Amazing video and models :)

thanks man. I appreciate the merge tools too. ;)

btw, I just discovered that I can bake the voxel shaders into multi-layered textures!

(with working specular, diffuse, noise, AO, normals, displacement, etc.)

I might have to learn more.

Some notes/questions/feature requests :

-is there a way to use the color picker from the material editor so I can skip the color dialogue and pick directly from the viewport?

-right drag in the sphere tool seems broken, shouldn't it be the submerge/elevate control?

-is there a way to copy shaders from one vox layer to another vox layer?

-is there a glow shader that can bake into bitmaps with a soft falloff through space? Think of trying to texture candles or neon lights on brick?

-saving a brush in the preset popup does not store the smoothing, invert tool, or any 3D tool options. This means I cant store my crease, rake and clay brush preferences I have to remake all my brushes each time I launch 3Dcoat.

-is there a way to save, load and folders for custom shaders?

-I wish there was an autosplit vox layer by surface continuity command.

-I wish there was I could make separate render cameras for exporting timelapse of a single model over weeks. maybe use the render camera to make the layer thumbnails?

-wish there were layer groups for organization in both textures and vox layers.

-need unwrap with an island selected should just unwrap that island not the whole UV set!

-should be able to freeze in the UV editor

-sphere extrusion needs a zero pressure value. I want to set the sphere extrusion drawing dept to -1.0 and when I press hard on the tablet, I want the depth to be +1.0.

some doodles.

http://vimeo.com/16019395

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Nice ideas Spiraloid, i hope they get added.

By the way for some reason the vimeo link you posted does not seem to work.

-saving a brush in the preset popup does not store the smoothing, invert tool, or any 3D tool options. This means I cant store my crease, rake and clay brush preferences I have to remake all my brushes each time I launch 3Dcoat.

This is a big request for me also -

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6722&view=findpost&p=52493

I think of it as un-finished right now as it seems the preset system is built for paint mode. I really hope Andrew listens to my ideas for presets as i think it could be a huge workflow improvement.