3DCoat Forums

Silo 3D updated to 2.2 rc1

Greg

• Contributor

They seems all very happy, good, I bet they really think silo development will resume... I'm seriously waiting 7 months to laugh when they realize nothing has changed and silo is standing still...

I hope I'm proved wrong, but it's been the third time now and I'm getting tired. I'm now following voidworld development with much more attention :)

• Contributor

They seems all very happy, good, I bet they really think silo development will resume... I'm seriously waiting 7 months to laugh when they realize nothing has changed and silo is standing still...

I hope I'm proved wrong, but it's been the third time now and I'm getting tired. I'm now following voidworld development with much more attention :)

I know what you mean. IMO the nice thing is that silo is really pretty good as it stands, so if it's not developed more at least it's functional and fairly stable as is. For me, it's kind of like Photoshop in that Photoshop has done everything I need it for since CS2 was released. :) I know that's not very forward thinking, but hey, I'm getting old. :D

Greg

• Contributor

Well I won't start another bashing discussion, I've said everything in my

I could completely agree with you, if this video wasn't still doable with the latest update...

That's something andrew adressed very nicely, even if 3dc has some crashes, you can always save your work before the crash. I don't know how this works, but it should be standard code in all apps.

• Contributor

Cool little video, in a sad kind of way. The models in it look really good though! :) I hope the stability issues actually do get addressed. I think my models are so simple (I do mainly 3d cartoony type stuff) that I haven't experienced the crashing you have.

Yep, Andrew rocks!

Greg

• Advanced Member

This is great news, thanks for the info. :)

By the sounds of things development was stopped due to them making a game. I can see how some would be annoyed but having developed software myself i know that it's sometimes hard to work on projects if you are a small development team. People request many things and software can have many bugs to fix but at the same time developers are not robots and have other interests and real lives to live.

Hopefully there will be a V2 SDK soon also as this would allow new addons and a 3DC app-link which would be great. It must be hard when you have a community annoyed that there has been no updates for a while but i am happy the developers are making silo again and hopefully this time will continue to.

• Contributor

They are making silo again ? For the third time ? 8)

Oh, BTW. I logged back on the site and got this

"You have been banned for the following reason:

The disrespect you show other forum users is staggering. The next ban you receive will be permanent.

Date the ban will be lifted: 10-27-2010, 05:00 PM"

So in nevercenter policies, if you speak in bad terms about silo in a COMPLETELY INDEPENDENT BOARD (Like this one) you get banned. I hope every 3dc users get that, I would frankly not buy it if I knew this company has that kind of attitude...

• Advanced Member

Maybe they read the 3DC forums then, i am guessing Zbrush and other apps developers will also. If so it's probably because of your first post, i am someone that is happy they are developing silo again so i guess you will be waiting 7 months to laugh at me. :)

I purchased silo because it was a quality modeling app, even though it has some bugs i still have this opinion. At one time it was considered the best app by many people also so hopefully they will be able to get it back to having that status again.

• Advanced Member

Software with no or too less updates are only worth a fraction of its real value. I was considering getting Silo a few times until i realized its abandoned. And a few tiny bug-fixes do not change that. Anyway, when Blender's Bmesh implementation is finished Silo is obsolete for me.

Considering how cheap the program is in the first place, your statement makes little sense. 3 updates in less than a year hardly constitutes abandonment either. Small or not they made a difference and silo continues to be amazing value for what you pay.

You make a huge assumption that bmesh will be awesome at birth when it finally gets added to the public blender builds. This is naive. In its current 'beta' state it doesn't come close to making blender a viable alternative to Silo or any other polygon modeler, unless you care more about 'free' than actually getting work done. Considering how long it has been in development also makes me wonder how long it will take to actually become a silo replacement after it's been added to the public blender builds. I'm looking forward to bmesh like anyone else - I'm always on the lookout for new tools, but I'd say it's a safer bet to place on it being quite awhile before it attracts more people to blender for modeling. I thought modo might replace Silo in my toolkit at some point, but coming on 5 full upgrades later, I'm still spending hundreds of dollars for disappointment, and all the communication in the world from luxology doesn't make me feel any better about that. Slow development or not, silo is still the strongest tool in my kit for poly modeling, both on mac and pc.

• Contributor

Considering how cheap the program is in the first place, your statement makes little sense. 3 updates in less than a year hardly constitutes abandonment either. Small or not they made a difference and silo continues to be amazing value for what you pay.

I think that what frustrates Silo users more than anything is the lack of communication from the developers. It makes you feel, well, abandoned. I do agree that it's a great value for the money, not unlike 3D Coat. :D

Slow development or not, silo is still the strongest tool in my kit for poly modeling, both on mac and pc.

Yes, I agree. It's fast and intuitive. Makes modeling fun.

I think the Glen Southern videos hooked me in the first place, and that's why I bought it. I'm glad I did. Like I said, if it never progresses past where it is now, I'm happy anyway. I know a lot of others wouldn't be though. I actually believe they are going to come back strong. Time will tell, but it's too good a modeling package to just drop.

Greg

• Advanced Member

I think that what frustrates Silo users more than anything is the lack of communication from the developers. It makes you feel, well, abandoned. I do agree that it's a great value for the money, not unlike 3D Coat. :D

I think the users kinda brought that on themselves to be honest. Being in the silo forums from the start, way back in 2004 (I think) I watched them devolve long before nevercenter stopped communicating with them. I really can't say I'd blame them or react any differently if I were in their shoes. Communicating with ungrateful, demanding, and unreasonably hostile people over something like a piece of software that costs less than some people spend on a night out isn't how I'd want to spend my time if I were a developer. I often wonder how long it will be before Andrew slows his pace and people start jumping on his back too. Things have been pretty heated here already in the past, even with the amount of effort he puts towards updates. It really is a no-win situation for the dev. I think NC just realized that people are going to continue to use the software or not, regardless of what they do so they took the option that worked best for them. So long as they continue updating at whatever pace they feel comfortable with, I'm ok with that, and can't say I blame them. The software has worked great for many years for me on many different systems. If something better comes along someday, I'm sure I'll use it, same as I always do. Picking up new ones and dropping the ones that I don't need anymore is just part of being a 3d artist.

• Advanced Member

Well, im very much for freedom of speech. So if its true what happends to BeatKitano (which i assume) its a real shame!

While i can not agree with you JamesE its good to have different opinions. I dont say Silo is bad or does not work and its a professional tool nontheless. Anyway, if Silo get at least maintained and bug-fixed its worth it. But currently i dont see that.

• Contributor

I think the users kinda brought that on themselves to be honest. Being in the silo forums from the start, way back in 2004 (I think) I watched them devolve long before nevercenter stopped communicating with them.

Sorry, I don't see this as a valid reason to stop communicating with paying customers. Even if they ignored the complaints and just posted 'We're still here, working and alive' every once in a while that would be better than nothing. I understand that no one wants to read negative comments, but the reason I stopped reading that forum was because I assumed it was abandoned, not because of customer complaints or immature comments.

No matter, I'm glad they are making progress. :)

Greg

Edit: Antony Ward just twittered this link: http://yfrog.com/56ib8bj

Nice!

• Advanced Member

JamesE has very good points but i also agree with you Greg.

Basically NC has made things very difficult for themselves by going off to make the iphone apps, it is understandable they might want to have other projects and as i said before developers are not robots but they could have kept the community posted about what was going on.

By not doing this they have annoyed people that are only interested in silo and will now maybe be looking for or are already using other programs instead. I think though that the community could be more happy that they are back to releasing updates. Some software doesn't even have a forum or wiki so what they have is actually better than some already but i agree that communication with users adds more to a programs value but like many when i buy a program i buy it because it is good and not to talk to the developers, that is just added value.

Right now the way i have seen things some people are more than happy to get negative as soon as a new beta is released, while i understand why and agree to a point it's not exactly going to inspire the developers to communicate back so as JamesE says even if they just keep making updates that is much better than them just giving up on silo. Hopefully now though it seems they have finished with the iphone projects so they will get back to developing silo more.

• Advanced Member

JamesE has very good points but i also agree with you Greg.

Basically NC has made things very difficult for themselves by going off to make the iphone apps, it is understandable they might want to have other projects and as i said before developers are not robots but they could have kept the community posted about what was going on.

By not doing this they have annoyed people that are only interested in silo and will now maybe be looking for or are already using other programs instead. I think though that the community could be more happy that they are back to releasing updates. Some software doesn't even have a forum or wiki so what they have is actually better than some already but i agree that communication with users adds more to a programs value but like many when i buy a program i buy it because it is good and not to talk to the developers, that is just added value.

Right now the way i have seen things some people are more than happy to get negative as soon as a new beta is released, while i understand why and agree to a point it's not exactly going to inspire the developers to communicate back so as JamesE says even if they just keep making updates that is much better than them just giving up on silo. Hopefully now though it seems they have finished with the iphone projects so they will get back to developing silo more.

Yeah I'm not saying I like the way it worked out, just that I can kinda see why it happened that way. I could honestly care less myself if the forums live or die, as I don't buy into an app for its community nor to have a relationship with the developers. If the tool works I use it. Nothing else matters.

• Contributor

Yeah I'm not saying I like the way it worked out, just that I can kinda see why it happened that way. I could honestly care less myself if the forums live or die, as I don't buy into an app for its community nor to have a relationship with the developers. If the tool works I use it. Nothing else matters.

I do see your point James. We're all human (I -think- devs are human, though Andrew may be part machine... :) ) and hearing a lot of complaints/ignorant comments would definitely take a toll on the devs enthusiasm to share.

I've gotten no end of help and tips from this forum (3d Coat) and have met people who I actually consider friends here - even though I haven't met them IRL. :) I really like this forum/community, and I consider it a fantastic addition to my 3D Coat purchase.

O.k. I think I've beat that horse to death! lol Let's go create something!

Greg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

VoidWorld now supports 3D-Coat AppLink for anyone that is interested.

I just tried Void World for the first time. I had downloaded it a while back because it was or is free the moment. I opened it up and brought in a mesh I had retopo in 3DC. I also most fell out my chair, it renders good. It appears that you can set it up like Maya or Silo. This might be the go to box modeling and modeling tool! I'm hyped! Can anybody vouch for it yet? I'm hyped!

• Advanced Member

I missed this thread.

I've tried Silo in the past, I was to buy it but I didn't, for the well known reasons.

Blender, now, has almost what I need for poly modeling (almost LOL)

But...

So in nevercenter policies, if you speak in bad terms about silo in a COMPLETELY INDEPENDENT BOARD (Like this one) you get banned.

I'm shocked. This isn't good. It also triggers conspiracy scenarios, which is also bad. I'm with Beat on this.

• Contributor

I have to say that a pretty nice piece of software this VoidWorld is. What I find very useful and something that is missing in Silo (but present in Modo) is a workplane that can be aligned to whatever position one might need at a certain moment. Also, the radial menu - something I had to emulate in Silo via custom buttons, is integrated in the app by default.

Still, the interface in my opinion is inferior when compared to Silo. Opened windows appear on screen quite slowly and the viewplane redraw speed is also not the fastest I've seen. I really hope GUI will get a little more polish in this department.

• Like 1