3DCoat Forums

Starting a new caricature

Greg

• Contributor

I'm betting no one will be able to guess who this is yet. It is a pretty rough start, but I think it will get there. :) I'm going to add a body etc. once I get the likeness down a bit better, then I'm going to distort the heck out of him. Thanks for looking... take a guess anyhow! Curious who people come up with.

Quick hint... if you're really young, you may not have a clue. He's been dead for quite a while.

Greg

post-2799-12880412323605_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

W.C. Fields or Larson E. Whipsnade! :clapping:

WOW! Tony I didn't think anyone would get it, but yep, it's supposed to be W.C. I'm going to dress him in top hat, checkered pants, spats etc. I've always loved his movies, and find them funny as hell still. :) Thanks for playing.. you win! Um, no prize, but you win! :D

Greg

• Contributor

I'm 74 so I have a large archive of trivia. WC was of buddy of John Barrymore and Gene Fowler the author, John Decker the painter and Sadakichi Hartmann. There association was described in Fowler's "Minutes of the Last Meeting". Fields was a real character in 'real' life.

• Contributor

I'm 74 so I have a large archive of trivia. WC was of buddy of John Barrymore and Gene Fowler the author, John Decker the painter and Sadakichi Hartmann. There association was described in Fowler's "Minutes of the Last Meeting". Fields was a real character in 'real' life.

Nice info! I read a book about him once. It was very interesting - he had quite a life. Always thought this quote was funny:

I'm looking for loopholes. (Said when caught reading the Bible.)

:D

• Advanced Member

I thought it was the old cop (Micheal Douglas bud)

in "The streets of San Francisco" :)

Kind of like the Mister Magoo feel.

Wasn't this actor playing in the old version of "The Wizard of Oz".

I saw him somewhere but I just can't remember exactly where.

• Contributor

I thought it was the old cop (Micheal Douglas bud)

in "The streets of San Francisco" :)

Kind of like the Mister Magoo feel.

Wasn't this actor playing in the old version of "The Wizard of Oz".

I saw him somewhere but I just can't remember exactly where.

Oh.. that was Karl Malden. :)

W.C. Fields was in a bunch of movies in the 1920s and 30s, and was in vaudeville before that. Here's a great link to some pictures of him. They are really helping me!

http://www.doctormacro.com/movie%20star%20pages/Fields,%20W.C.-Annex.htm

And in particular, I'm trying for the expression found here:

http://www.davidstuff.com/general/wcfields.htm

I'm putting a top hat on him like in the picture, but doing all the hair none-the-less. :D

Thanks for looking! Comments/crits are welcome :)

Greg

post-2799-12881400250968_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Its gonna be a great portrait, doesn't look like a caricature. :clapping:

Thanks Michalis! That's a great compliment coming from someone I consider a master. Much appreciated.

No, not much of a caricature yet. I was going to try to exaggerate him a little more after I got the likeness down, but he's already a caricature in his own right! I'll probably do some minor facial exaggeration before calling the head done, and moving on to the body & clothes.

I think texturing his pants will be a challenge. He's wearing some kind of herringbone pattern I believe. I'm thinking good UV layout will be the key to getting it right. Fortunately it's just a personal project. Unfortunately I'm the hardest self critic! :D

Thanks for looking! I hope to have more to show tomorrow.

Greg

• Advanced Member
he's already a caricature in his own right!

You know, this is happening with all portraits from a point of view. Many people have expressed the difficulty of a human portrait -must have likeness- its not an orc or something. Or is it actually?

A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes.

Wittgenstein

• Contributor

The lateset image looks a little like Boris Yeltsin.

adam

lol - It does a little, doesn't it? Boris had better hair though.:D

I think a lot of what will help sell it will be his costume, and coloring that big nose 'W.C. Fields Red'. Hey, I just invented a new color! :D

Thanks for looking! Hope to post more later today.

You know, this is happening with all portraits from a point of view. Many people have expressed the difficulty of a human portrait -must have likeness- its not an orc or something. Or is it actually?

I think the hardest part is trying to keep the likeness through so many subtle adjustment. Too many and the likeness is gone!

Greg

• Contributor

Retopo of head finished. Guess this really is more of a portrait as Michalis suggested, but I'm going to leave it as is. :)

Going to build the body and hat separately and append them all later (to speed things up). The head is 2188 tris right now - and about 5 mil. visible tris in voxel room. I'm using a 2k map for the head alone. I'm really trying to do the entire project in 3D Coat - no ZBrush or Lightwave.

I'll keep posting as it progresses. :)

Comments/critiques always welcome.

Thanks!

Greg

• Contributor

Retopo of head finished. Guess this really is more of a portrait as Michalis suggested, but I'm going to leave it as is. :)

Going to build the body and hat separately and append them all later (to speed things up). The head is 2188 tris right now - and about 5 mil. visible tris in voxel room. I'm using a 2k map for the head alone. I'm really trying to do the entire project in 3D Coat - no ZBrush or Lightwave.

I'll keep posting as it progresses. :)

Comments/critiques always welcome.

Thanks!

Greg

Edit: Guess I should upload the image...

post-2799-12883092156524_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Looking real nice Greg, Dont jump to details too early. How fine are you going to go with him?

Thanks Leigh! I was hoping to add a good bit of detail to his face in the paint room - mainly to get some good skin painting practice. I'm looking forward to working on his clothes too - I think they will be a challenge. :) I've always loved his movies, and hope I can do him justice. Thanks for looking! C&C appreciated as always.

Greg

• Contributor

Started adding color. I'm trying to do all of this with just the paint brushes - so far so good I think. The ears, hair and inner mouth need much work still, but I'm having fun painting him. :)

Comments/critiques/suggestions welcomed.

Thanks for looking!

Greg

post-2799-1288392687472_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Another small update - finished up the eyes/brows for now (until I see something I don't like). Anyhow, moving on to mouth ears & hair - then onto body & clothing. :D

Here's a close-up. The perspective is a little skewed cause I zoomed in so much. Thanks for looking!

Greg

post-2799-12884658596588_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

@Tony - You are right. If nothing else, people expect him to have a red nose. I'll fix that! :D

@Michalis - Yes, they kind of flattened out when I did the retopo. My fault for not giving them enough polys I suppose. May fix that yet too. Thanks about the color. I'm pleased with it over all - except for adding more red to nose!

Thanks to you both for comments - they really are appreciated. I have a way of noticing things myself, and thinking 'maybe no one else will see that'. Glad I'm wrong. :) When others point things out, it forces me to try a little harder, and go back & fix whats broken. :)

Greg