3DCoat Forums

Missing surace tools

Dreamcube017

I started painting with the surface tools in Voxel mode and I noticed a lot of them seemed to be missing. They were there the first time, but I don't konw what happened. The program crashed and when I reopened it, they weren't there.

The picture shows that only a few of the tools are thre.

Also about the retopo importing of a low poly object, do I have to line the low poly mesh up exactly with the voxel version or not?

Also one last thing. Before, I tried baking a normal map from the voxels and the lowpoly mesh UVs. It says it's baking and everything, but when I go to the paint room, I just see a blocky modified version of my msh... no detail at all.

Thanks.

I started painting with the surface tools in Voxel mode and I noticed a lot of them seemed to be missing. They were there the first time, but I don't konw what happened. The program crashed and when I reopened it, they weren't there.

Also about the retopo importing of a low poly object, do I have to line the low poly mesh up exactly with the voxel version or not?

Also one last thing. Before, I tried baking a normal map from the voxels and the lowpoly mesh UVs. It says it's baking and everything, but when I go to the paint room, I just see a blocky modified version of my msh... no detail at all.

Thanks.

Merged Duplicate topics but kept this post due to the attachment -Custodian

post-3625-12885651529971_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks.

Can you show a screen grab (you can upload one from the Help menu), so we have an idea of what's going on? I suspect that the pallet somehow is collapse and if you expand it by clicking the little arrow, it will open up again. It happens to me on occasion.

Also, when you have issues like you're describe regarding your normal maps, please try using a screen (Video) capture to show the process. Jing is free and it allows you to upload the video to their site. This way we or Andrew can get an idea of what is going on in your scene. Sometimes it's a bug, and sometimes it's just a missed step or two.

I believe its because your screenshot in the other post shows that you are still in the voxel mode as denoted by the cube icon next to the 'Volume1' layer as shown in the VoxTree. Left-click on that cube icon and it will change to the wave icon that denotes surface mode. This should show all of the surface commands you are looking for...

• Reputable Contributor

Ok thanks. That worked.

Hm sorry for double posting. For some reason it wouldn't accept the picture and I tried to redo it and it just copied the whole thread.

It has nothing to do with being in Voxel Volume mode or not. Your screenshot shows that your toolbar on the left has a bunch of tool sections collapsed. All you have to do is click on the little arrow to expand them. On laptops, sometimes you run out of room, and have to collapse certain tool sections to get to ones beneath.

It has nothing to do with being in Voxel Volume mode or not. Your screenshot shows that your toolbar on the left has a bunch of tool sections collapsed. All you have to do is click on the little arrow to expand them. On laptops, sometimes you run out of room, and have to collapse certain tool sections to get to ones beneath.

Maybe this was true with older versions, but in 3.5 there are only 6 Surface tool options shown when the object is in the voxel representation mode (just like what he was showing in his screenshot). To get all of the other Surface tools to show up, you have to change the object to the surface representation mode in the VoxTree. Basically says the same in the manual on page 68 chapter 8.5 Surface Mode & Tools. The way I interpreted his question he was not referring to the other tool sections like Voxels, Adjust, Objects... but only the Surface tool commands... perhaps this is where the confusion is coming from... :unsure:

Oh, I see...yeah, there are only a few surface tools in volume mode. I don't even use them, and switch to volume mode instead. I thought he was referring to something else.

yeah i thought maybe there was a misunderstanding... i think dreamcube might suffer from the same problem i have currently :unsure: ... i am so new to 3dcoat that i dont have the terminology down yet to be able to ask concise questions to avoid misunderstandings... i figure by this time next year i will have it figured out :rolleyes:

i am so new to 3dcoat that i dont have the terminology down yet to be able to ask concise questions to avoid misunderstandings...

Actually to be honest (and not trying to start anything) but I'm not sure the word "volume" is really used anywhere in the program or manual, I only remember some people on the forum saying it. Of course I could be wrong.

I've got to continue wrapping my head around the work flow of this program because I always run into bumps on exporting, importing, or running out of memory. I'd click on something and then I'd get a memory error.

So I think I've got a ways to go too. Thansk guys.

• Reputable Contributor

Actually to be honest (and not trying to start anything) but I'm not sure the word "volume" is really used anywhere in the program or manual, I only remember some people on the forum saying it. Of course I could be wrong.

I say "VOLUME" mode just to clarify the difference between what it is/does compared to Surface mode. If I say "Voxel" mode, that can be quite confusing to many (newer users may think..."Wait a minute, I thought I was sculpting with Voxels"), and I personally think the distinction is warranted.