3DCoat Forums

Performance and Stability issue on Win 64 builds

AlanMc

Hi,

I'm testing 3DCoat and have experienced some performance and stability issues. My system spec is: Win7 pro (64-bit), dual quad-core Xeon, 6GB DDR3 ram, Quadro FX1800 graphics card.

In the 64 DX version all works really well until I increase the resolution and then my ability to pan, track and zoom reduces substantially. I can do any of the navigation moves for all of 10 sec then the programme freezes. I wait 30 sec or so and then I can navigate a further 10 sec, and so on..... This functionality gives me the impression that its caching before allowing me to navigate. If this is the case what setting do I need to adjust to either offer more memory to the app or something along those lines.

I also tried 64 GL version and this worked fine at the higher resolution and then crashed.

Both versions do not allow me to open any of the sample .obj files - all open as small cubes!

Any help to understand the problems would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Alan

• Reputable Contributor

Hi,

I'm testing 3DCoat and have experienced some performance and stability issues. My system spec is: Win7 pro (64-bit), dual quad-core Xeon, 6GB DDR3 ram, Quadro FX1800 graphics card.

In the 64 DX version all works really well until I increase the resolution and then my ability to pan, track and zoom reduces substantially. I can do any of the navigation moves for all of 10 sec then the programme freezes. I wait 30 sec or so and then I can navigate a further 10 sec, and so on..... This functionality gives me the impression that its caching before allowing me to navigate. If this is the case what setting do I need to adjust to either offer more memory to the app or something along those lines.

I also tried 64 GL version and this worked fine at the higher resolution and then crashed.

Both versions do not allow me to open any of the sample .obj files - all open as small cubes!

Any help to understand the problems would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Alan

It really sounds like your graphic card is struggling with the mesh re-draw at that resolution. Have you considered upgrading your card recently? The rest or your hardware certainly is more than adequate. I have a 275 GTX and never seem to have any trouble moving about in the viewport...even if the polycount is so high that I start to run out of memory.

I think you'd be thrilled with a 470 GTX (your card has 64 cores...a 470 has 448 I believe, and that makes a big difference with CUDA in voxel sculpting)? I've recently seen Mudbox choke on a FX1700, as soon as you try to paint or sculpt...so, that may well indicate it's not just 3DC.

Can you show a screen grab of the UI when this happens?

• Advanced Member

I believe that too. Must be a issue with the graphics card. How much megabyte does your video card have? And what desktop resolution you are using?

You may try to disable anti-aliasing, tripe buffering, high quality mip-maps and anisotropic filtering and try the non-cuda version, this may give you a few more megabyte of video RAM.

Also try to disable visual designs aka "Aero". And do you have multiple monitors? Try to disable the second one.

• Reputable Contributor

I believe that too. Must be a issue with the graphics card. How much megabyte does your video card have? And what desktop resolution you are using?

You may try to disable anti-aliasing, tripe buffering, high quality mip-maps and anisotropic filtering and try the non-cuda version, this may give you a few more megabyte of video RAM.

Also try to disable visual designs aka "Aero". And do you have multiple monitors? Try to disable the second one.

Yeah...this is one of the reasons I feel like the card companies rip off their customers with these workstation cards. The addition value the driver support and few minor additional features may provide just don't make sense under a cost/benefit comparison. 6-12 months later, and those minor "extras" you paid for, are obsolete when compared to a newer generation consumer card. On the whole workstation cards are slower than their consumer card variant.

What's more is, you can buy a consumer card that is one model lower than the top and comfortably overclock it to perform as well or better than the top model, and save a few hundred $$$ in the process.

You just need to make sure you buy one that has an aftermarket cooler from the factory. These cards are MADE to overclock (they come with a software utility to make it easy for even a novice to do so, and some come factory overclocked, such as the models below)...they have higher yield GPU's and memory than the stock models, and you can often find them to be about the same price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127513

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-125-338&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

...just my $.02 worth :pardon: