3DCoat Forums

Four large sculpting bugs

I just wanted to post info on four bugs that are either making some tools unusable because of a permanent hang or corrupting my mesh, which is even worse.

MOV file illustrating the 4 bugs.

bug 1 : if you move your mouse quickly across variant poly normals, the carve tool will leave very large strokes behind.

bug 2 : if you move your mouse quickly across variant poly normals, the extrude tool will leave behind illegal holes.

bug 3 : if you use the sharp brush and the carve tool and a bright mask, your brush strokes will leave illegal holes in the mesh.

bug 4 : if you use a large brush, 3dcoat will come to a screeching halt on that brush stroke and in most cases, it can't come out of that hang until you let go of the mouse and then wait an extra 5-10 seconds or so. In some cases, the brush stroke hangs infinitely for real, and in other cases, the brush position is what's not being updated, but the brush is still active and not hanging. you can tell it's still active because it's still receiving wacom pen pressure signals. It's hard to find a way to reproduce the second type of this bug, but the first is very easy.

I've also seen a number of other bugs involving brush strokes that don't go into the undo buffer, but i can't find a 100% repro case yet. Another would be that a brush stroke will corrupt half the mesh and that corruption will not go into the undo buffer and so the mesh is officially corrupted and can't be salvaged. I think the second bug has to do with when certain brush strokes pass through the "illegal holes" and thus created an infinitely large brush stroke that created a whole lot more "illegal holes" and corrupted the mesh and wasn't put into the undo buffer, but I'd have to verify that. Another bug is that sometimes a series of undos will be lost and it will jump right back to the geometry creation undo. All three of these bugs happen all the time, but I haven't found 100% reproducible cases for them so I'll keep working towards that.

Anyways, i've been using 3dcoat for a year or so now and absolutely love it for a number of reasons, so thanks so much! :)

-seneca

my machine specs:

3dcoat 3.5 cuda 64

geforce GTX 285 258.96

cuda 3.1.1 driver

dual 6core Xeon chip

24 GB ram

windows 7 pro

• Reputable Contributor

Good catch. On the large brush radius issue, I think what is happening is that Andrew added some sort of "Auto-Merge" routine this summer that merges (not sure if it switches to Surface mode temporarily with mouse down, and merges back to Volume on mouse up?) immediately after every stroke, once you've gone past a specified brush radius. I usually get a split second flash screen and progress bar. That's probably hanging somewhere in that process.

I wish that could get revisted to make it easier to use larger radius' in Volume mode, without such a penalty. I can't even see what I'm doing with the screen flashing with every stroke...so I just take it as a warning bell and instead switch to Surface mode or cache the layer to use the large radius.