3DCoat Forums

Transfering high detail to a low detail mesh

Steve C

Could someone explain how I can take two poly meshes, one that is sculpted in high detail and another that is just a sphere and transfer the detail from the high resolution mesh to the low resolution sphere. ZB does this via painting and the low resolution mesh snaps to the higher version.

I know the low resolution mesh will not look as good. I just want it to conform as close as possible.

What I am looking for is simialar to this:

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-project-3d-details-from-one-mesh-another-zbrush-63892/

Thanks.

Steven

I don't believe there is a way to do this with just polygons. You're probably better off merging your high res mesh into the voxel room, then the low res into the Retopo room and hitting the Snap button in the tools. This will conform the low res to the high res shape, but I don't quite see how it related to that video.

Also instead of voxels you could just use File > Import > Reference mesh for the high res.

I don't believe there is a way to do this with just polygons. You're probably better off merging your high res mesh into the voxel room, then the low res into the Retopo room and hitting the Snap button in the tools. This will conform the low res to the high res shape, but I don't quite see how it related to that video.

Also instead of voxels you could just use File > Import > Reference mesh for the high res.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will have to look at those tutorials again that deal with using the Retopo room.

For this purpose there isn't really a whole lot to look up, just go tot the Retopo tab, then in the menus hit Retopo > Import and choose your low res mesh. Then, assuming it's reasonably close to the high res in scale and the high res is already loaded you're all set. In fact it's even easier than I said above because I forgot when you import to the Retopo room it will go ahead and snap it for you if you like.