3DCoat Forums

Numeric Indictor For Sculpt Room Translation

ekunzendorf

Hello All,

I just saw Phil's roughing character in Vox room, and I noticed that when he moved the curve points, the movement controller displayed numbers. How do I turn that on? More importantly, and more germane to the topic title, is there anyway to get that turned on in the sculpt room? I ask because when painting on a multiple object model, I go to the sculpt room and select and move objects out of the way to isolate them. Right now, I have no way of knowing how to move them back exactly. Hence my question.

Excelsior!

Eric Kunzendorf

Jacksonville University

users.ju.edu/ekunzen

I'm not sure if there's a way to turn the numbers on and off, I don't use the numbers so I haven't paid attention but I think it's just always been there.

Video:

http://screencast.com/t/GVRgCsH3YHaI

It might be easier for you to just hide the separate objects. You can load the objects panel from Windows > Popups > Sub-Objects

Video:

http://screencast.com/t/vJPfCQfC

Hi Phil,

Thanks for responding. But no, this would be for an object that I have combined in Maya into one obj file. It retains the individual pieces of geometry, but is all one model. It becomes hard to isolate individual pieces. You can hide faces using the expand hidden command, but not easily. Moving would work. Interestingly, in the sculpt room, it is possible to select objects that parts of the obj file, if we could hide the selection, that would do it.

Excelsior!

Eric

Oh Hmm.. I don't use OBJ much, in LWO the separate parts (layers) in the object show up as separate sub-objects in 3DC. Perhaps maya can export as LWO, it would make sense for them to.

In Maya, a Shape is equivalent to a LW Modeler layer. A Maya Shape, like a LW layer, can contain any number of unconnected meshes (shells). Maya doesn't distinguish between a "model" and a "scene" in its native .ma/.mb format.

Maya does not have LWO I/O support, but does have .obj and .fbx import/export.

Upon rereading my post, I realized I may have been unclear. I am selecting all the pieces of geometry and exporting them as one .obj file. Maya actually uses a transform node on top of the shape nodes. These transforms are read as individual subobjects within 3D coat. That is why everything has to be ungrouped and separated if one wants to paint one each subobject. I think what tiburbage was thinking was that each Transform can have any number of shape nodes under it. Further screwing things up is the fact that Maya has not only groups, but also layers. If you group transforms, 3D coat reads those groups as transforms and imports them as subobjects. This does not give you access to the geometry in the original Maya group. :(

So, make sure, when exporting to obj from Maya, that each piece of geometry that you want to paint upon is ungrouped and uncombined. I hope that make sense.

BTW, this makes the whole numerical indicator for the Sculpt tool irrelevant! :)

Excelsior!

Eric Kunzendorf

Jacksonville University