3DCoat Forums

Zbrush to 3dcoat mixed workflow?

kirkl

• Advanced Member

I still prefer Zbrush for sculpting but I like 3dcoat painting with true layers. Is it possible to transfer an object from Zbrush to 3dcoat the way it would be possible to paint on it keeping depth aware features? ( like "less on heights" etc.) I tried to export low-res obj from zbrush and a displacement map to be imported as a vector displacement texture but it goes in 3dcoat with errors, especially on spots with a strong displacement.

Is it something possible at all? Should I use any specific settings both in Zbrush and 3dcoat?

• Advanced Member

No, I try to export low res mesh and a displacement map generated in Zbrush. When I try to recreate the object in 3dcoat to paint on it ( I'd prefer to paint in 3dcoat) I can't get it looking the same. It always has a kind of seams or something. I open low-res obj ( subdivided without smoothing) and then apply the displacement map as vector displacement texture in 3dcoat.

• Reputable Contributor

No, I try to export low res mesh and a displacement map generated in Zbrush. When I try to recreate the object in 3dcoat to paint on it ( I'd prefer to paint in 3dcoat) I can't get it looking the same. It always has a kind of seams or something. I open low-res obj ( subdivided without smoothing) and then apply the displacement map as vector displacement texture in 3dcoat.

A vector Displacement map is colored, much like a normal map. You were able to export a Vector Displacement map from ZBrush (and it was colored?)? I wasn't aware that was available in ZB....just Modo, 3DC, and Mudbox.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=51237&page=2&pp=15

No problem...just import the hi-res mesh from ZBrush and export a vector displacement map from the paint room and use that for your low res mesh.

• Advanced Member

Why not to import a hi def normal map? It works as cavity mask alright.

Vector displacement is not supported by zbrush.

But what I can't understand it the whole workflow here.

If we start building in 3dc (voxels), retopo, UVs and export the low-def + a direct voxel output to zbrush, then we have a multi-res mesh for fine details there. Why to use displacement maps? I suppose we're talking about scratches and pores, about a 3-10M mesh now. Normal maps can serve well. And, why not painting in zbrush? It has better support on cavity and AO masks. But there are more than one way to achieve what you like.

• Reputable Contributor

Why not to import a hi def normal map? It works as cavity mask alright.

Vector displacement is not supported by zbrush.

But what I can't understand it the whole workflow here.

If we start building in 3dc (voxels), retopo, UVs and export the low-def + a direct voxel output to zbrush, then we have a multi-res mesh for fine details there. Why to use displacement maps? I suppose we're talking about scratches and pores, about a 3-10M mesh now. Normal maps can serve well. And, why not painting in zbrush? It has better support on cavity and AO masks. But there are more than one way to achieve what you like.

I understood the OP to be asking about a model coming FROM ZBrush, to paint in 3DC. I think he's trying to apply a regular displacement map (generated in ZB), as a Vector Displacement map in Microvertex mode. That would be like trying to import a bump map as a normal map.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for clarification about vector displacement. It's something I actually suspected. Just hoped there may be a trick or something to make things right combining zbrush gray displacement map and normal map altogether.

As regards of painting I always thought zbrush is not very good for that. For example I have a flat wall and a few big sirface noice generated dents. Nothing gives me a clear mask to paint only on a flat part of a surface, even AO mask which takes ages to generate. In 3dcoat I use "less or more on height" with input digits and it works great.

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for clarification about vector displacement. It's something I actually suspected. Just hoped there may be a trick or something to make things right combining zbrush gray displacement map and normal map altogether.

As regards of painting I always thought zbrush is not very good for that. For example I have a flat wall and a few big sirface noice generated dents. Nothing gives me a clear mask to paint only on a flat part of a surface, even AO mask which takes ages to generate. In 3dcoat I use "less or more on height" with input digits and it works great.

No problem...you can still get a vector displacement map for the low poly mesh by importing the hi-res first and under "Texture" > "Export" "Vector Displacement Map."

When you thereafter import the low poly version, you can go back to the texture menu and import that map

• Advanced Member

But, I maybe missed something here. Isn't a nice normal map enough for masking cavity? I did some tests and seems to work.

This one is a half an hour work, all done in 3dc but I also exported it as multi res mesh in zbrush and the results are similar - very.

With this difference, this one is a 3k mesh, rendered in 3dc internal. All details are painted as normal maps. The voxel is about 2M