3DCoat Forums

Digman's Cravings

digman

• Advanced Member

OK man!

Let's see if I got it right.

1. sculpt a relief as a patern-panel.

2. Bake it (PPP displacements, as explained here (with your great help)

3. Use it as a mask for sculpting on voxels.

I wonder though. What if you just apply this displ map in the UV editor and align vertices of UV islands on the retopo base? I think 3dcot has a tool for this job, it just takes some time. You have to align each row of vertices.

Some questions. Does 3dcoat support 32bit exr or 16 bit tiffs as mask? Can we import such maps in the layers (bumps) paintroom? I really have no time to test it.

EDIT: I did some tests. I can import masks only as jpg 8 bit. Not good. But, I did import 32bit exr as displacement layer in paint mode. The question here is, how to edit UVs, placing the islands where needed, rotating them accordingly. A different UV set so to transfer / re bake it on another UV set. I can't.

• Reputable Contributor

I been doodling around with making some primitive pitchers. I have several very low voxel count ideas generating... Such as they are here are four of them, very much early wips at the moment. The reason for posting is that 3DCoat is great for concepting ideas in 3D which I have spoke of before... These all started from a 14,000 voxel sphere and all are under 100,000 to 300,000 voxel count at the moment.

Once I got an idea of a pitcher as I sculpted out the shape, I went for it...

post-518-0-96089200-1368834559_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-23535000-1368834575_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Whiskey in the jar! :)

Cool shapes. You're right about sketching ideas quickly with 3dCoat.

It is something I should use at work too. But I always use too much time.

We once used to make "speed sculpts" sessions during lunch time at work,

but everyone gave up after a while. Hard to keep good habits.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Just another primitive low voxel resolution pitcher concept...

Version 4.0.02 makes this concept work fun and easy, just like drawing in your pencil sketchbook... :declare:

post-518-0-32058200-1369881447_thumb.png

• Reputable Contributor

A bust I started to work on, very early still in development. Non symmetry sculpting... I got the pose I like, now time to go back and start correcting anatomy... Once that is done then on to the details...

975,000 voxel count so far for the entire scene.

Based on a photo but not going for likeness...

post-518-0-97313400-1370348839_thumb.png

• Reputable Contributor

A small update, starting to bring out features now. Nothing on the ears yet, need to bring them up to the rest of the sculpt. A number of areas to fix...

Hair and hat details just place holders...

410,000 polygons total on the head, eyes, ears and shoulders so far, said it before but 3DCoat is just great for producing form using LC brushes / surface mode brushes at such a low polygon count. At this amount of polygons it a breeze to fix stuff or change your mind about some form in the model. Once you are happy with the overall form, then you can boost the polygon count.

post-518-0-26020300-1370550909_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

another small update... some refining of forms. Attached the ears and first pass on them. Now I need to do a hair and cloth study before finishing all the extra details, like the caruncle of the eye etc, etc...

Redo the straps...

Shader is true Texas hill country limestone for the bust, The reddest kind, there is a white limestone as well...

post-518-0-20117700-1371095230_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Another 3D scene rolling around in my brain and 3DC. I changed the theme from my first idea. Still early in the wip process. I am a hopeless doodler..

Titled:

"Death of the Pregnant Queen"

post-518-0-65037900-1371673075_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Garagarape's work on his knight's helmet, inspire me to just doodle on the Alien's gladiator's wip helmet that is part of a larger scene, Just having some weekend fun, nothing is set in stone...

post-518-0-09146400-1372021522_thumb.png

post-518-0-57424300-1372023693_thumb.png

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Ohh! Nice barbarian helmet!

I can see a mix of Agamemnon helmet + Japanese armor curves

and some Kelt animal figure and paterns.

Love it.

Someday I'd like to try new original designs like you do.

I'm always trying to imitate real things and design of the past...

And it's not that fun to do.

• Advanced Member

Hey, good one, David!. Make it rusty, you know how, a nice render.

@garagarape. Agamemnon helmet? What do you have in mind? There's a great description in Iliad. But, something completely deferent.

Something like this? Maybe...

• Advanced Member

Which seems not to be a helmet part, and not belonging to Agamemnon neither (?) ... My bad.

Not a helmet part. Neither it's Agamemnon's death mask, though not your fault. People still believe it's agamemnon. Schliemann was quite wrong on this...

Greeks of ~1300 BC were not speaking exactly the same language as in ~500 BC, they didn't use the alphabet (gramiki beta is not phonetic). Neither their helmets looked like the well known of the classic period. Neither had develop any particular fighting system (like phalanx). But, they had lot of ships, Homer gives us all the names of the NIES (ships-plural-female) ( he he, NAF(V)S, NEOS, NIA, NIES, the greek grammar, here comes the latin NAVA...> NAVY) (a very old indo-european phonetic? Or, I should say from a mediterranean language, lost now? )

I know, David loves such stories... hope I didn't spoil the thread.

• Advanced Member

> hope I didn't spoil the thread.

I don't think you spoiled anything.

Our history books were full of this kind of errors.

Still this gold mask is very well known of french children.

It has something very attractive, just between military and sacred.

Digman, what will be your next doodle?

I'm waiting, stretching my neck (like people say here).

• Reputable Contributor

No spoiling at all, talk away, discuss. Democracy (Greek style) opens wide her chamber for all mortals who dare to enter...

Here is a Hand wip doodle... currently at 118,000 voxels (one hand) with a quick low quality vertex paint applied.. I used my own hand as a reference.

Lots of things to fix but as my style I like to throw something together early or I just get plain old bored with the work...

I use low voxel count modelling the same way you sketch with a pencil, flow and form is what I try to pour into the work at this stage.

These darker appearing pictures of course could appear darker or lighter on your monitor depending upon your personal settings.

Rendered in 3DCoat and postwork in TwistedBrush...

post-518-0-04119200-1372186209_thumb.png

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Long nails for classical guitar?

I ask you once, I asked you twice where are my nail clippers?

I'm just a digital clay slapper, Slap that clay on, cut it back, move it or just kick the whole thing by it's arse over to the digital trash can... :D

post-518-0-53699300-1372203403_thumb.png