3DCoat Forums

Specular and glossiness maps

jamie

• Advanced Member

Hi,

Is it possible to add a glossiness map in addition to the current specular?

Usually our production shaders use a specular or reflectivity map, and also a glossiness map.

One which controls the intensity of the reflection (or specular brightness) and one which controls the reflection spread (or specular tightness/glossiness).

This is common to most shaders such as Blinn or mental ray's Mia_material.

Thanks!

+1

+colour spec

This was requested a LONG time ago.

*edit*

I'm actually chasing up on old requests and bugs right now and found this from June 2009

Specular request

And can we Paint on the spec with the same ability as Color maps?

It seems you can only Add/erase to a spec map?

• Advanced Member

Phil, Specular colour makes a substantial difference in the quality of rendering that you can acheive and having 3DC's viewport as on target as possible should be the goal.

Most game artists will tell you that coloured spec is important for achieving convincing metal shaders and that Specular is additive so that using the opposite colour from the diffuse will lower the saturation of the highlight which is why most spec maps for light coloured human skin tends to be an the blue side.

Have a look at this 'Why so Blue?' thread for much talk on the subject.

Also have a look at this post on the Polycount boards for good explanation

Mudbox already has Coloured Specular, Gloss (specular Exponent), Incandescence, Opacity, Bump, Normal & Reflection masking and you can tell the difference. The end result in the Mudbox viewport is far more convincing than 3DC. It's like night and day. 3DC is however great for rendering plastic looking objects ;)

The name 3D Coat implies that it is an application for surfacing 3d models. Why would you want to hold it back by not giving the artist as much as possible the ability to see what their final asset will [potentially] look like? So I don't think asking for specular colour is going a 'bit far' at all. I would go as far as to say that it's essential.

Regards.

• 1 year later...
  • Reputable Contributor

i'm a game artist and would like to create more complex&final materials by colored specular and gloss maybe reflection map

in 3d coat of course

There is supposed to be some significant UI restructuring for V4, and I plan to keep asking/reminding Andrew about these additional maps, as well as layer masks, hopefully...both for each channel/map separately and one globally on the Root/Parent layer. Basically, each current layer would instead be treated as a Layer Group...and letting the user dictate which maps (sub/child layers) are contained in any parent layer. All Andrew has to do is simply copy how it's done in Photoshop and most texture artists will get it right off the bat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

There is supposed to be some significant UI restructuring for V4, and I plan to keep asking/reminding Andrew about these additional maps, as well as layer masks, hopefully...both for each channel/map separately and one globally on the Root/Parent layer. Basically, each current layer would instead be treated as a Layer Group...and letting the user dictate which maps (sub/child layers) are contained in any parent layer. All Andrew has to do is simply copy how it's done in Photoshop and most texture artists will get it right off the bat.

Hi Abn

Have you any news about this... or if there is a plan to add Coloured Specular, Gloss (specular Exponent) & Reflection masking ?

ty