3DCoat Forums

Macintosh Menus and default folders and preferences

themacguy

Hi Everybody (and all you other users out in "Mac land.." ;-}

I just had 3DC jam up on me for no apparent reason---so I quit the program, trashed the 3DC folder in my Applications directory ( /Applications/3d-Coat/.... )

and did a complete re-install.... THEN I find out that my assorted trials, models, textures, and rendered output had ALL been trashed...

---I'd forgotten that they are AT PRESENT, stored in SUB-directories--essentially "inside" of 3D-Coat's home directory, inside my Applications directory...

This is NOT where the normal Apple/Mac file-storage conventions would put them....

---the default location for "end-user" created files is normally somewhere in that

user's HOME directory folder--separate from the application!!!

So----Is there some way to set up 3D-Coat on a Mac (running OS-X 10.6.5) so that ALL of the end-user files,

and all added "third party" custom shaders, models, maps and "whatnot" are all stored in a folder of MY choosing??

--inside my "Home" folder--so that trashing the program to re-install it, or an update, will not--in the future--wipe out my files?

Another small point---In nearly every Mac program, the default keyboard shortcut for bringing up the PREFERENCES screen for that program is "Command + Comma"

and that Preferences drop-down menu is ALWAYS listed under the Application name (left-most clickable bit of text on the main/top menubar--next to the "Apple Logo")

Is it possible to adjust 3D-Coat to follow these two conventions, for the next version?

MEANWHILE..... what SHOULD I be backing up MANUALLY/SEPARATELY----so that another "trashing of the program" does NOT wipe out my personal work files??

Hopefully this will be something the end-user can specify the "where" (outside the program) that ALL these files are stored...

Thanks for any advise, or news of any program update that addresses these items! :-)

• Advanced Member

---so I quit the program, trashed the 3DC folder in my Applications directory ( /Applications/3d-Coat/.... )

and did a complete re-install....

What do you mean you trashed the 3DC folder? Are you saying you just deleted the whole folder the program was in? :blink:

If that's the case then of course you lost everything.

You can save your creations anywhere you want. The tools and textures that the program uses can also be put into your own folders.

Tom

What do you mean you trashed the 3DC folder? Are you saying you just deleted the whole folder the program was in? :blink:

If that's the case then of course you lost everything.

You can save your creations anywhere you want. The tools and textures that the program uses can also be put into your own folders.

Tom

Hi Tom...

Thanks for your reply! I must be doing something wrong.... I've TRIED putting my "RenderedImages" folder in my documents folder (ie: NOT "within" the 3d-Coat folder in the application's folder)

and also any custom shaders, and saved object.3b files I've made... but when I boot up 3D-Coat, it doesn't LOAD any of those custom shaders, and when I open up one of the .3b files, I get all sorts of "shader files missing" error messages....

Any ideas how to remedy this? Thanks! (in advance... :-)

• Advanced Member

Hi Tom...

Thanks for your reply! I must be doing something wrong.... I've TRIED putting my "RenderedImages" folder in my documents folder (ie: NOT "within" the 3d-Coat folder in the application's folder)

and also any custom shaders, and saved object.3b files I've made... but when I boot up 3D-Coat, it doesn't LOAD any of those custom shaders, and when I open up one of the .3b files, I get all sorts of "shader files missing" error messages....

Any ideas how to remedy this? Thanks! (in advance... :-)

I just meant that you can create folders for your brushes , materials, masks. This way you will know what is your stuff, and you can back it up.

• Advanced Member

To an old mac user.

Remember quark express! v3 v4, OS 9 etc.

Similar here. Just backup these folders. Do it manually, everything works fine when manually.

I don't like to see some folders in applications support, users libraries, or even worst, in hidden var directories. Here and there. I like the way 3dc does it. A clean way. The right way.

BTW when you update 3dc, you dont need to backup everything first. The installer wont change these dir.