3DCoat Forums

Google Body Browser

AbnRanger

• Reputable Contributor

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2010/12/google-body-browser.html

Now, you have a pretty nice anatomy reference that you can orbit around and such...pretty nice. But you have to have certain browsers to use it. I went with the Firefox 4 Beta...it's pretty sweet, and the big improvement is the speed, not to mention really clean appearance.

• Advanced Member

Thank you AbnRanger, its a gift for Christmas ? Thanks. Firefox 4 beta worked fine BTW

I already mentioned that I don't believe in anatomy as a serious for sculpting knowledge. Well, this isn't completely true. lol.

I believe that its a nice way to finish with details, but never a starting point.

You all are familiar with African sculpture? I think yes. Try to study one of these wooden sculpts in vox room, surprise. Extremely difficult.

• Reputable Contributor

Thank you AbnRanger, its a gift for Christmas ? Thanks. Firefox 4 beta worked fine BTW

I already mentioned that I don't believe in anatomy as a serious for sculpting knowledge. Well, this isn't completely true. lol.

I believe that its a nice way to finish with details, but never a starting point.

You all are familiar with African sculpture? I think yes. Try to study one of these wooden sculpts in vox room, surprise. Extremely difficult.

I think a good understanding of Anatomy is highly important if one plans to sculpt the human or animal form. The chief reason is that Anatomy is the framework by which all detail is built upon...the eye has been trained by a lifetime of observance and can quickly spot when something is off. Just like bad CG.

The African art you refer to is highly exaggerated, with no attempt made to accurately capture the human form. It's essentially a caricature.

• Advanced Member
The African art you refer to is highly exaggerated, with no attempt made to accurately capture the human form. It's essentially a caricature.

Not a caricature. I don't know about others but I found it impossible to sculpt a nice study from african references. With some precision I mean.

This in fact is a powerful sculpture and I can understand how it influenced modern art. ( picasso, matisse, giacometti, modigliani)

This abstract force is the framework by which anatomic details can be built.

I never understood or learned anatomy from michelangelo's masterpieces, I still believe that something is wrong there. But they are almost as powerful as african or archaic greek and etruscan sculpts, almost as powerful as egyptian art. But almost, never equal.

So I also need some good reference for anatomy, but the key isn't there. We all should have a slave (as old masters) for reference. LOL this is deferent. We are free democratic societies now, but also puritans and not so open minded. Just saying. Having done a lot of nude studies from real models I say that anatomy was never a problem as long as it was in front of me. What a misery now. But its all we have.

Hello all,

Let me put on my asbestos undies and dive into this discussion.

Anatomy is a funny thing because you have the "true" anatomy: that which everyday people conform to; idealized anatomy: heroicized anatomy that "old masters" used to tell part of their story; and stylized anatomy: anatomy that is SO distorted from the true that it is not recognizable as anatomy in some cases. I recognize that these definitions are arbitrary, but please bear with me.

"True" anatomy: we see it every day. Humans 6-7.5 heads tall. All body types from flabby endomorphic to chiseled mesomorphs to stick thin ectomorphic body styles. The possible variations are almost infinite, but because we see them every day, they are almost boring.

Idealized anatomy: accepted by ancient greek sculptors and comic book artists everywhere. Generally 8-9 head tall people, muscular (even the women), symmetrical features. All the things we see as "great" about heros comes in part from their proportions and depiction. Interestingly, by limiting themselves to telling stories with characters having these proportions, the old masters limited themselves as to what they could depict. An 8 heads tall beggar in the street looked silly, if you think about it. So did they adopt a more "true" anatomy? Some did, but others went to...

Stylized anatomy: the only definition that works here is the complete distortion of anatomy in subjugation to the "story" of the character, sculpture or painting. Think ogres and fantastic characters, but also think Picasso, Cezanne and a cast of thousands of "modern" artists. This type of anatomy has no "rules" unlike idealized anatomy, so ANYTHING can be depicted. Unfortunately, because there are no "rules" like idealized anatomy, and isn't viewable like "true" anatomy, it is very hard to learn from copying it.

michalis is right, trying to recreate an african mask in 3D Coat would be TOUGH! As much as trying to recreate the head of Michelangelo's David. (BTW, look at the proportions of the hands of the David to the head and rest of the body. That is the beginning of what is "wrong" with that statue.) Either would be a great exercise in learning 3D Coat.

Anatomy is the foundation of detail (that is a great way of putting it, AbnRanger). I have found that capturing "true" anatomy is a matter of experience (think LOTS of drawing!); capturing idealized anatomy is a matter of learning the "rules" and applying them to your art; and capturing stylized anatomy is a matter of exaggerating and at times throwing out what you know to tell the story of what you want to depict.

I don't know if that makes sense, but its my .02 cents.

Excelsior!

Eric Kunzendorf

Jacksonville University

users.ju.edu/ekunzen

• Advanced Member

@ ekunzendorf

much more than +1, thank you.

And once again from Jacksonville, what's happening there? Something very very good probably.

OK anatomy. Nice sources are always welcome. Its a good subject for talking though.

About MAs david, well, the man had to solve a problem with the scale and perspective view. Not the best solution in history of art but... he's a great sculptor anyway.

• Advanced Member

I think study of anatomy would be particularly helpful when creating your own creatures that aren't human.

When modeling a human you can just look at a person. when making up your own creature, it seems like you would

end up with something that could possibly exist, if you created it with some thought as to how it might actually function anatomically.

Tom

At Jacksonville University, we have a modest animation program. I am in my 4th year here (although I have a lot of previous experience teaching).

The beauty of Michelangelo is that everything he did, he did on purpose. NOTHING was left to chance. The anatomical "distortions" are there for a reason. The hands, the head, the fact that from one angle, the statue looks powerful and confident from one direction and fearful and apprehensive from another. It is very cool when you get down to it. That is the beauty of Mich's art. He knew all the rules, but bent them to fit the story he was trying to tell.

David was the runt of the litter in his family, but M. depicts him as this big, powerful youth who nonetheless has to face a bigger and MORE powerful giant. He shows him at the moment he gets a look at his opponent. Both confident and fearful, how cool is that? M. worked under a very idealized canon of anatomy. He also worked at a time when artists were distorting anatomy to tell their stories. The Baroque period went completely overboard IMO, but M. really ushered in that period.

Tom K, I certainly agree with you, but looking at a person is actually a lot more difficult than making up anatomy out of whole cloth as many artists do nowadays. I love the big shouldered creatures that would pop their own heads like zits if they lifted their hands over their heads.

Anyway, just my 02.

Excelsior!

Eric Kunzendorf

users.ju.edu/ekunzen