3DCoat Forums

Spiraloid Voxel Experiments

Spiraloid

Hi, I realy like these :), I've learned a lot from them :) and I would love to see a step-by-step video of your workflow :) ( when you change from voxels to mesh, what brushes you use in voxel mode and what brushes in mesh, because around 300k polys in voxel mode 3dCoat is getting sluggish :) ) ! Keep them up and don't stop teaching US:) !

• 3 weeks later...

It is always great to see your work. You are one of my all-time CG heros! I learned all about topology and how to sculpt in 3D watching your Mirai videos many years ago, and I am still learning. Andrew is very lucky that you are using his SW. Thanks for continuing to share your amazing talents with the world.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Here's some voxel fun I've been having lately.

I've made a lot of items in 3Dcoat so I'm a bit more comfortable using voxels now.

much more so than in than my earlier videos.

hopefully there's some interesting bit in these for folks here.

Here's some voxel fun I've been having lately.

http://vimeo.com/27368650

http://vimeo.com/27368668

I've made a lot of items in 3Dcoat so I'm a bit more comfortable using voxels now.

much more so than in than my earlier videos.

hopefully there's some interesting bit in these for folks here.

Both videos are so inspiring. It is great to see a real master at work with no limitations. Your workflow is orgainc and smooth - perfect. After seeing this and Planet of the Apes last evening, I am filled with enthusiasm. What tools and settings are you using in the "alien head" video? In particular, how are you making the sharp edges, "crease" cuts and masking off areas of the sculpt for more detailing? Thanks for sharing!!!

• Advanced Member

thanks for the kind words guys.

here's the tools I use

airbrush with the soft falloff for wrinkle details.

grow and smooth for all the volume work.

carve with curve or lasso stroke to cut off parts of the model.

move and pose to bend thing around with a manipulator.

mud2 and snooth to rub in the surface forms. I always have the pen pressure only effect the opacity of the stroke, not the size.

I mess with the lighting to think about how the sculpt will photograph later. I try to think of the lighting in the render like a drawing and think of what I should add to make the drawing better. like doing a paintover in photoshop.

the trick with the lights is this. all the intensity values for all the lights should add up to 100.

I adjust the scatter on the fill light by 60. set the ambient to 20. I use the lightness to tune the exposure afterwards.

for the interactive preview while sculpting, I set the light brightness to 50 and the ambient to 20. I turn on shadows and place the light so that it's directly from above with vertical shadows so I can get a sense how far things are moving toward me.

hope that helps!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Just popped in to say thanks for the picmat eyeball trick! I don't make my way into the WIP forums nearly as often as I should so I was backtracking through your posts when I stumbled on it. Also made me realize I don't play with materials nearly enough.

Cheers!

• Advanced Member

That grow with masks workflow looks really cool, the problem is it doesn't seem to work in my version? Is it standard voxel mode with grow and a mask applied? Because that is really slow, doesn't displace the surface at all and doesn't respect the mask. Could this be a bug or am I missing something?

• Advanced Member

That grow with masks workflow looks really cool, the problem is it doesn't seem to work in my version? Is it standard voxel mode with grow and a mask applied? Because that is really slow, doesn't displace the surface at all and doesn't respect the mask. Could this be a bug or am I missing something?

I got really good at gauging what voxel density would give me a good framerate on my machine while I sculpt. it's a combination of finding the right res+ and size. and having a GTX580 with lots of CUDA cores. the brush is a standard grow with the mask applied. btw the mask hidden and scaled before the video started.

• Advanced Member

I got really good at gauging what voxel density would give me a good framerate on my machine while I sculpt. it's a combination of finding the right res+ and size. and having a GTX580 with lots of CUDA cores. the brush is a standard grow with the mask applied. btw the mask hidden and scaled before the video started.

Yeah that first video was excellent and I really appreciated seeing you use the masking function. That was great. I wish the video had included the insertion of those long curvilinear tendrils emanating from his face though...

Thanks for posting those vids.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I've been using zbrush4r2 and I must say, you got some competition now andrew.

here's my lastest ZB flythrough.

pretty great being able to paint in color while doing "voxel-like" operations.

the new features look great in 3DC, but sadly I can't get any version since 3.5.20 to run fast enough to use.

not sure how others aren't having this problem, but after a few minutes in 3DC, it starts running so slow that I get 3 frames-per-second just moving the camera on even a simple default model.

the same machine using 3DC 3.5.20(CUDA)(DX64) can work for hours.

slowness happens on GL or DX and on other freshly installed machines.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Really nice. :good: Funny thing about your experiencing slow downs in Voxels. Not a problem at all here, on a 6 core AMD CPU, 16GBs and GTX 470 (latest driver). The problem I've been having is more related to UV/baking problems in the Retopo Room.

• Advanced Member

Excellent video and sculpting!

Should be posted in ZBC, it;a more interesting than what we have seen there.

I'm also taking back some thoughts about dynamesh. It seems that the tool is straight into the art.

A wonderful tool. And very very fast (@AbnRanger) It isn't the performance, it's the great behavior of the tools.

If I was Andrew I could stop all development and start working on tools only. But I'm not Andrew LOL.

I mean all this voxel technology is here in 3dc. It's more powerful than in zb. But the tools make the difference.

• 1 month later...