3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat DX64 or GL64

p3ta3dcoat

• Reputable Contributor

Hello,

I have two tesla cards in a box with 24 gigs of ram. its primarily used for biovisualization. But I get to play on it and have placed 3-Coat on it... kinda ignorant of me ... but which version should I run for utilizing the cuda core optimization for voxels in 3D-Coat?

thanks

CUDA will work with either. Right now, Andrew recently overhauled the brush engine throughout the application. When he finished to engine for the Voxel "Volume" mode, he said that CUDA worked, but it wasn't yet optimized. He said he was going to try and get to it after squashing some critical bugs. Hope that is sooner rather than later. Anytime he has to escape to his cabin for a week or two, to work on a difficult feature...it usually means something big is in the works. :D

So, you may not see a huge difference in CUDA utilization right now, but once Andrew updates it, I think you will.

• Reputable Contributor

Peter:

I'd say, do a few simple tests to compare the speed. At one point, the DX version was always faster, and then, at another point, Andrew stated that GL was, at that moment, faster. So, I don't know anymore.

Greg Smith

I think that was from NVidia assuring him that they had done a good deal of work on OpenGL in their drivers. I don't know anymore, either...a flip of the coin will settle it, I suppose. :D