3DCoat Forums

3DC site Under attack

michalis

• Contributor

I was just fixin to post the very same thread good.gif ......these threads I've listed are 10000% SPAM...getting several of these a day now...plse turn up the SPAM FILTER ??

bonefish grille menu Theodofoord 15 Replies

Today, 02:52 PM

By: Theodofoord

Тексты и слова песен ficdtekstys 0 Replies

Today, 02:11 PM

By: ficdtekstys

знакомства ctrcfсайты знакомств города мыск

знакомства

Taken care of. You should use the Report button that is on each post, obviously you don't have to click it every time for posts like this but once per spammer is very useful as it literally throws up a red flag for use custodians that we all see as soon as we hit the site. There is no spam filter to my knowledge, we custodians handle it all. Seeing as I don't read Russian one of the other custodians will have to handle that one.

I took care of a bunch too - Be aware though, they are still doing it. A few times after wiping one they create another username. Methinks this is a deliberate attack. I'm going to talk to Andrew about this. I have a few ideas to solve the issue.

Thanks for the heads up michalis, much appreciated.

• Reputable Contributor

Taken care of. You should use the Report button that is on each post, obviously you don't have to click it every time for posts like this but once per spammer is very useful as it literally throws up a red flag for use custodians that we all see as soon as we hit the site. There is no spam filter to my knowledge, we custodians handle it all. Seeing as I don't read Russian one of the other custodians will have to handle that one.

When I try to report, I get the message that I don't have the privilege of reporting. That might have something to do with a past dispute with a certain custodian or something, but I just thought it was odd not having the same ability as the average member here.

On a different note...I never could understand the logic (or lack thereof) of trying to bombard a forum with SPAM messages. The sheer invasive nature precludes a single person from being even remotely interested.

Checked it out, I saw some things that the contributor group should have had set differently, for example you can now give kudos to folks (where as it was shut off for some reason). I can't find one for reporting. Would you mind trying again? (Report this post as a test if you need)

its been awhile since I've had to register, of course, but CAPTCHA is a requirement, isn't it? that usually deters bots (to a point, at least) , ..might wanna make sure its on

Indeed! I'm uncertain as to why these people would manually do all this spamming. (Captcha is on) It's a weird situation. :(

• Contributor

I just remembered that on certain forums on the web, they use the captcha, but they also make the registrant email the administrator to ask for permission to join, and state a reason why they want to join,,you could also request info on what type of art/modelling they are most interested in,,,which programs they will be using in their workflow, ...just general questions that as a norm, a bot wouldn't know or be able to answer ....that way there's less chance of a spammer slipping into the forum...

you could post the 'questionaire' in a post in the 'welcome' forum, or in a 'Read This Before Registering' sticky thread in the welcome forum..then they could just copy/paste the questions into their email (the email that would pop up during the registration) then add their answers.

just food for thought, but would work better than just the captcha by itself, imo.

• Contributor

here's just an example of the questionaire..

''In an attempt to keep our forum spam-free, registrants are required to answer this questionaire ;

(please copy these questions and paste them in the pop-up email during your registration)

1. Why do you want to join this forum ?

2. Do you have any prior experience with 3D Modelling ? (if not, plse skip to question 4.)

3. How long have you worked with 3D?

4. Will any other programs be used in your workflow?

5. Will you be able to contribute tutorials to the community ?

6. What is the sum of 3 + 5 ?

7. How many days are in a week ?

8. 'Apples and oranges are fruit'..true or false ?

9. Name 3 colors that are in a rainbow.

10. What is your favorite color ?

• Advanced Member
Well, if you keep this up, I'm going to have to Report you and your repeated attempts to Report problems with Reporting.

It won't happen again, promise. :drinks:

@3d_sculptress

"What is the sum of 3 + 5 ?"

The sum is more complicated than I thought.

3. How long have you worked with 3D?

+

5. Will you be able to contribute tutorials to the community ?

=

:rolleyes:

• Contributor

instead of that, how about all first(and second?) posts need to be verified by a moderator before being visible?

that's a good idea, too,,the only downfall to that option would be that it might keep the moderators frazzled trying to check each post,(which may run into checking a few hundred a week...I've tried it that way in a forum I used to have,,it is a pita, and can wind up tying up alot of not one, but several moderators time.....),,but the questionaire would deter most all of the bots first rattle out of the box,,thus saving the moderators some wear n tear.,,

• Contributor

am wondering about the captcha that ya'll are using...aren't there two different captcha options available,,?,,one where the numbers/letters in the captcha itself are typed into a box, and the other type where the numbers/letters are on a jpg that's inside the box ?....bots have a harder time deciphering letters/numbers on an image...much easier for them to read when typed in, tho.

I used to know a code that you could add to a forum to deter the bots, but can't remember how it worked now....mellow.gif

here's a good reference link for battling bots, tho..

http://php.bigresource.com/Keeping-Spam-bots-out-AbCRyTdl.html#UCzTTBXh

Hey Robbie!!

The groups is part of the IPBoard system. Contributors are folks who have done (But not limited to) one of the following:

• Lots of user support
  • Helped at a trade show
  • Supplied a huge amount of content (brushes, masks, materials, meshes, shaders, etc.)
  • Is a plugin developer for 3D-Coat
  • Dedicated bug finder/reporter
  • Tutorials