3DCoat Forums

Paint Sep "Pieces" and Voxel Merge

p3ta3dcoat

1) After voxeling in different layers to make different parts of a cartoon character and assigning different shaders to each new layered part... I then AUTO with MV paint successfully the different layers one at a time.

In PAINT it seems that they are now ALL one object to paint on. If when painting I go over an "eyeball" from one of the voxel layers... and hit some of the surrounding "face" layer it paints onto both surfaces. Is there anyway to keep the voxel layers in the paint interface so that I can turn them on and off and just paint on the things I want to sep?

2) When I merge one layer to another I lose the different shaders applied to each layer.... anyway to keep them assigned. Similar as to assigning different shaders to one polygon mesh and when you smooth that mesh the edge where the different shaded polygons meet is smoothed also. It almost looks antialiased. I know voxels are different but when you hold down the w key and see the wire frame I thought maybe shaders can be kept in that way. Maybe a wish feature : >)

Thanks

Peter

1. Try this- When you do the auto-retopo just send it to the Retopo room, while there give the Retopo Group a unique name like Eye or Head, then from there send it to the painting room. You should see the Groups listed in the Objects panel. If you don't have that Panel get it from Windows > Popups > Sub-Objects.

Quick video example:

http://screencast.com/t/uBoZ4IdG7

2. No there is no way to do this, Voxels don't work like polygons, as you work the polys are constantly being destroyed and rebuilt so there's no way to define which ones have which shader aside from giving that shader to the whole object. You can see these changes happening if you hold W while you sculpt.