3DCoat Forums

Guedin's sketchbook

Guedin

Hi guys.

Here's a speed sculpt did in one hour, using 3DCoat to block the mesh, and ZBrush to detail it :

post-1472-129555454977_thumb.jpg

3DCoat is a powerful tool to block a mesh, it allows me to make complex organic forms really easily, like holes in the chick etc ... And much easier than the zsketch in my opinion.

Here's a timelapse, sorry for the crappy quality :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ds7HATjFiE&feature=player_embedded

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I had a problem with the quality of the video.

So you exported a tri mesh, why not a topo- mesh? For details, better use MV hi output and reconstruct subs in zb.

I mean to sculpt on tri meshes was never the best. Yes, the benefits of voxels, I know, but to remesh and project in zbrush is better. And fast. A rather problematic topology but much better than tris.

To work on a nice-topo mesh is the best we can do.

• Reputable Contributor

How about not having to export to ZBrush to begin with? Seriously, there's nothing done in the video, that couldn't have been done from start to finish in 3DC. That's not a slap at ZB in any way...I'm just a big proponent of doing as much in one application as you can. Voxel sculpting has taken a major step forward over the past several months.

• Advanced Member

Why not? Workflow is a personal matter. Guedin has his reasons. But I also can't understand the benefits to work on a triangulated mesh.

BTW, the export dense quads doesn't work for me. It produces worse topology than the remesh-project zb method. And wrong scaling...

If you have xyz,

And you use xyz together,

Since you bought 'em (ya know, paids ya money) ,

then I can certainly understand playing the strengths of xyz with and against each other in order to get maximum value out of one's investment.

3DC will suffer nothing at the hands of one using the hated (around here, seemingly) ZB. It's a different beast with it's uses outside of ZBs scope or concern. For example, I can't go straight to LW from ZB. But I can from 3DC. And if I want to do big mesh to big mesh then these two programs offer that in spades.

So, base outta LW;

Into 3DC;

Bounced back and forth betwixt ZB and 3DC;

Export from 3DC as an lwo.

They are tools. Not religions.

Hi guys. You're right about my workflow. It's probably no the best way to work with a triangle meshes.

I did this guy for a quick contest ... Make a bust in one hour so I went to the fastest way, but obviously not the more efficient.

About ZBrush vs 3DCoat, I'm sorry but I really think the sculpt feelings is not the same. And right now I much comfortable with ZBrush for sculpting. 3DCoat is far from being as precise as ZBrush for me. Maybe I need to train myself more with 3DCoat but I can't achieve the same result in 3DCoat than in ZBrush.

However, 3DCoat is just awesome to conceptualize and block meshes, since I'm absolutely free ! I can do holes, horn, extrude, split meshes if I want. There's no constraint.

I did a second shot, and give a try to the autopo tool. And it worked like a charm

final.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agb9ydL8k-A&feature=player_embedded#!

• Reputable Contributor

Nice work...yeah, I understand the comfort factor and familiarity with the tools in ZB. Andrew did some MAJOR work on the Brush engine, throughout the application recently, as well as multi-threading work, and it's now very nice. I have a seat of MB (I bought before all this work was done, because I was getting frustrated with some of the previous limitations), that largely goes unused now. Brush speed and brush feel is very comparable, IMO. Voxels still are more resource (RAM) intensive and MB is faster at stepping through the Subdivision levels, but that's usually not enough to compel me to step out of 3DC to do the work.

• 3 weeks later...

I try to do something 100% inside 3DCoat :

Finally I'm quite hapy with the result, especially cause I found the traditional sculpt tools, which are much precise than the voxel ones. However I don't really like the move tools, it's not really precise, both in voxel and sculpt mode. It looks like there is steps when we play with it and it's quite annoying, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

post-1472-12970511548042_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Nice result though, :clapping:

I agree about the move tool. The most useful tool and yet it doesn't perform well. How to model a portrait this way?

I still prefer the voxels mode when in 3dcoat because a less than 300k is what I have in mind. A smooth one right for retopo and export to zbrush.

About the surface mode: I don't really like to work on tri models. The remesh - project method of zb is better for me. I usually perform 3dc retopo early, as soon I figure out what I'm after. A 100k after retopo model looks much crisper in zbrush than a 20M voxel one. Hi density for poses and such, only.

What makes voxels and 3dcoat great is when a terrain is the case. Zb is very weak there.

@Michalis : Actually, the best strength of the surface tools are than it blends well with voxel ones. You can go for the surface tools, press enter to apply the modification on the voxel mesh, and go back to sculpt. This way, any time you got stretched polygons, you can press enter and it'll be converted in voxel.

@Chris_solo : I was surprised by the sculpting tools indeed. Too bad the move tool is not so great. But I really think 3DCoat can be permanently part of my workflow

This time I really tried to push myself to make something more polished with 3DCoat, so I guess we can't really call that a speed sculpt ;)

Everything was done in 3DCoat, sculpt and render, except for some post process inside photoshop :

rendu02.jpg

rendu01.jpg

Hi Andrew

I played a little bit more with the move brush and, now I don't think the move tool is buggy. I had sometime the feelings the move tool worked with steps, and sometime it was nearly impossible to reach exactly the position I wanted. But for the last bust I did, I installed the newer version of 3DCoat (3.5.11 actually)and the tool seems a lot more precise. Before that I used 3DCoat 3.5.05 if I remember correctly. Is it possible the move tool was improve between this too version ?

Thanks for the link by the way, I'll keep it in case I spot another bugs

Hi guys,

My last sculpt, entirely done with 3DCoat again, the more I use it, the more I like it !

bugsfinal01.jpg

Besides, I wanted to know if there was a way to keep in memory the alpha used for the smooth brush. For exemple, I'm using the clay tool, with a plain disc alpha, and when I switch to the smooth tool with shift pressed, I'd like to have a smooth alpha, but instead of that, it uses the same alpha as the last tool, the clay one in that case. It slows me down to swith alpha each time I use the smooth brush

In the same idea, I'd love to have the stroke mode stored for each brush. for exemple, pressure affects depth and size for the build brush, and depth only for the clay, ... etc.

I hope it's understanble, my english is not so good ;)

• Advanced Member

Impressive last one nicolas. :clapping:

The kind of sculpting I love to see! I really don't know what it supposed to be but its the continuity of shapes that I always love watching. Nothing else.

How you'll retopo this, is another matter. I'm still convinced that a after retopo sculpting room (like zb) should exist for the main job.

• Advanced Member

j'attends avec impatience le suivant!! je t'ai fait de la pub car j'adore ton style et ce que tu fais Nicolas!!

ici--> http://www.3dsaloon.fr/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=428#p6129'>http://www.3dsaloon.fr/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=428#p6129

et ici--> http://www.3dsaloon.fr/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=428#p6539'>http://www.3dsaloon.fr/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=428#p6539

3dSaloon est un nouveau forum français très prometteur et je parle de 3dcoat très régulièrement!

avec quelques tutos vidéos que j'ai fait.

I look forward to the next! I've done the pub because I like your style and what you do!

here -> http://www.3dsaloon.fr/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=428 # p6129

and here -> http://www.3dsaloon.fr/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=428 # p6539

3dSalon is a French new forum very promising and I speak regularly of 3dcoat!

with some video tutorials that I did.

++Chris